Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a WARN EVO 10 that I plan to install this spring, but I'd like to replace the wire braid with synthetic. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good option in the $100 range? If those are all crap, what about $200 range?
Sponsored

Apollo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a WARN EVO 10 that I plan to install this spring, but I'd like to replace the wire braid with synthetic. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good option in the $100 range? If those are all crap, what about $200 range?
Winch line is UHMW rope. You can buy premade winch line replacement rope or just go on line and buy the length of rope you need. It is very easy to splice eyes on the ends of the rope. I would guess that there is a dozen different rope manufactures making this rope and is readily available.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands 12K winch that came with the steel braid line. I replaced it with synthetic rope last year when I had enough of the steel. I use it on a trailer hitch plate that I attach to the receiver on the back of my truck to pull stumps and bushes etc.

The steel braid was thin enough to go through a hole in the winch drum, then a lock down screw held it in place. When I got the synthetic rope it would not fit through the hole. I put a magic marker line on the rope about a foot away from the end. I then pulled strands out until it would fit through the hole. I put heat shrink on it and installed it.

When pulling the strands make sure you do every other one, to a bunch of them in a row.

Not sure of how Warn attaches to the drum but keep this in mind when replacing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My favorite is Saber (https://saberoffroad.com/product/saberpro-double-braided-30m-winch-rope/). That's in AUD, so more like $225 US. All of their recovery gear is great.

At some point I'll probably also try the freedom winch line as suggested above.

As far as securing it to the drum, I prefer a winch rope lock. Far more secure then other methods IMO. I have Saber's (https://saberoffroad.com/product/winch-rope-lock/), but Bubba has a "Grabber" and Red has their "Plasma Lock". Probably others out there too.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands 12K winch that came with the steel braid line. I replaced it with synthetic rope last year when I had enough of the steel. I use it on a trailer hitch plate that I attach to the receiver on the back of my truck to pull stumps and bushes etc.

The steel braid was thin enough to go through a hole in the winch drum, then a lock down screw held it in place. When I got the synthetic rope it would not fit through the hole. I put a magic marker line on the rope about a foot away from the end. I then pulled strands out until it would fit through the hole. I put heat shrink on it and installed it.

When pulling the strands make sure you do every other one, to a bunch of them in a row.

Not sure of how Warn attaches to the drum but keep this in mind when replacing.
Whose trailer hitch plate do you use? If I get a winch, I'll probably do the same. Also what gauge cable are you running to the winch?

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whose trailer hitch plate do you use? If I get a winch, I'll probably do the same. Also what gauge cable are you running to the winch?

I used the Harbor Freight trailer hitch plate. It has held up very well with my use. I sort of cheated on the cable. I bought jumper cables from Amazon and cut one end off and installed the Anderson 250 amp plug. Jumper cables.
Ford Bronco Synthetic winch rope recommendations IMG_4479.JPG
Ford Bronco Synthetic winch rope recommendations IMG_4476.JPG

Then I cut off I put another Anderson plug on so I could use them as jumpers also. I have the same connections on my truck and Bronco so I can just carry the jumper cable end or use the winch with either one.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anderson plugs are great. We used them for jumper cables for all our trucks. Left the clamp on one end and an Anderson plug on the other.

Project Farm used a hitch plate when he tested winches. It bent. But he also stressed it quite a bit. I don't think he said which one he used.

Nice talking to another swabbie.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Make sure to replace the fairlead as well.

I have the Yankum fairlead on mine and it's fantastic, no more stupid hooks. If you buy the Yankum winch line, it will already be looped for their fairlead.
Sponsored