Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Giving me some more things to think about.

That is an interesting idea, are we sure there's nothing occupying that space, like the gas tank?
Climb under ur Bronco and check it out !!
Essentially above the rear axle and behind the fuel tank
I personally would want to bury the batteries as much as possible and leave accessable storage for things I use and touch more often
Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you go with a muffler delete there's a big chunk of space under the back ,outside inboard of bumper.

Chvless956c

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
the AAL setup used the 18AH dakota cells, while dakatoa doesn’t make those, they state their 20AH as being in the same size and form factor, meaning you could use their setup and have 80AH. i’m curious if you used the dv8 trunk replacement if that would allow for larger cells

OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the AAL setup used the 18AH dakota cells, while dakatoa doesn’t make those, they state their 20AH as being in the same size and form factor, meaning you could use their setup and have 80AH. i’m curious if you used the dv8 trunk replacement if that would allow for larger cells
Their website clearly states that since Dakota Lithium is no longer producing the 18Ah batteries, they are putting a pause in selling their battery mount.

Please NOTE: Dakota Lithium has currently discontinued their 18Ah batteries so we are putting the item out of stock until we are able to figure out a solution for other batteries to be mounted in this location.
I considered the option of utilizing the DV8 storage container but this configuration appears to work for my needs (100Ah capacity) and would be much easier to install/remove.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Reading comprehension failure. I had visions of a DIY battery bank created using loose cells, not preassembled batteries.

Sponsored

AXMRDR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '02 F350 4WD Crew, couple of Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't know if this will help or not but the Titan 8 series of lithium batteries is pretty impressive. It's supposed to be a new design in lithium batteries.

I have a large displacement high compression S&S engine in my old Harley that I had trouble starting when the engine was hot. It has electric compression reliefs, easy start kit/clutch basket, #2awg cables and a 14kw starter. The largest AGM battery I could buy struggled to start it when the engine was hot. I bought the largest NOCO battery and still had problems starting it.

I took a chance on a Titan 8 battery with 1000 amp starting capacity and it performs perfectly. The battery was over $600 but it is the same size as a stock Harley battery. They may have a model that fits your needs if you search their product line.

There are youtube videos about them if you're curious.

Just a thought.

Chvless956c

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Their website clearly states that since Dakota Lithium is no longer producing the 18Ah batteries, they are putting a pause in selling their battery mount.

I considered the option of utilizing the DV8 storage container but this configuration appears to work for my needs (100Ah capacity) and would be much easier to install/remove.
and Dakota’s website clearly states “This is version 2.0 of our original 12V 18Ah battery. Same size and price but 2Ah more capacity, lighter weight, and now includes a voltmeter and USB charging “

https://dakotalithium.com/product/d...h-20-amp-hour-lifepo4-iron-phosphate-battery/

OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reading comprehension failure. I had visions of a DIY battery bank created using loose cells, not preassembled batteries.
Oh, you’re thinking of cylindrical cells. That is one option, but I was planning on using prismatic cells for this build. Same idea, just different form factor:

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Concept 1715948765993-63

I don't know if this will help or not but the Titan 8 series of lithium batteries is pretty impressive. It's supposed to be a new design in lithium batteries.

I have a large displacement high compression S&S engine in my old Harley that I had trouble starting when the engine was hot. It has electric compression reliefs, easy start kit/clutch basket, #2awg cables and a 14kw starter. The largest AGM battery I could buy struggled to start it when the engine was hot. I bought the largest NOCO battery and still had problems starting it.

I took a chance on a Titan 8 battery with 1000 amp starting capacity and it performs perfectly. The battery was over $600 but it is the same size as a stock Harley battery. They may have a model that fits your needs if you search their product line.

There are youtube videos about them if you're curious.

Just a thought.
I just looked this up. While it’s impressive it can output at such a high amperage, it looks like it’s only 30Ah. Probably a decent starter battery, but it’d be wrong for this application.

and Dakota’s website clearly states “This is version 2.0 of our original 12V 18Ah battery. Same size and price but 2Ah more capacity, lighter weight, and now includes a voltmeter and USB charging “

https://dakotalithium.com/product/d...h-20-amp-hour-lifepo4-iron-phosphate-battery/
Another forum member already confirmed the new 20Ah batteries are slightly larger than the old 18Ah ones. They’re close, but not quite small enough to fit 4 across in that space.

AXMRDR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just looked this up. While it’s impressive it can output at such a high amperage, it looks like it’s only 30Ah. Probably a decent starter battery, but it’d be wrong for this application.
Get 2 and hook them in parallel. Expensive, but the fire risk on these batteries is lower than normal lithium batteries and they charge 3 times faster. Or not, just spitballing.

I get it, I had to think long and hard before paying that much for a battery.

OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get 2 and hook them in parallel. Expensive, but the fire risk on these batteries is lower than normal lithium batteries and they charge 3 times faster. Or not, just spitballing.

I get it, I had to think long and hard before paying that much for a battery.
I'm still not seeing how the economics of this route makes sense for this type of application. Looking at this model for reference (the most compact version I can find), if I hooked up 2 in parallel, I'd only get roughly 60Ah for $1,400. Compare this to a 105Ah LPO setup, it'd only cost $300 (for almost double the capacity). Not to mention, these LTO batteries wouldn't fit in that under floor storage area.

Since I don't require a high charge/discharge rate, LTO batteries just aren't worth it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my opinion, that solution is extremely overpriced for what you get. The kit is $700, then you have to buy two of their batteries and you're looking at around $1,400 total. All that for roughly 60Ah of capacity? With AGM batteries, you generally don't want to go beyond 50% depth of discharge, so cut that capacity in half. You'd only be able to run a 12V fridge for barely over 12 hours with that setup.

Last edited:

AXMRDR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm still not seeing how the economics of this route makes sense for this type of application. Looking at this model for reference (the most compact version I can find), if I hooked up 2 in parallel, I'd only get roughly 60Ah for $1,400. Compare this to a 105Ah LPO setup, it'd only cost $300 (for almost double the capacity). Not to mention, these LTO batteries wouldn't fit in that under floor storage area.

Since I don't require a high charge/discharge rate, LTO batteries just aren't worth it.
Gotcha.

They aren't cheap. The reduction of fire hazard due to their improved design over regular lithium batteries was a factor in me going this route. Space wasn't a concern for me as it was direct replacement size.

Sounds like you have a plan. Best of luck. Looking forward to see the finished project.

OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotcha.

They aren't cheap. The reduction of fire hazard due to their improved design over regular lithium batteries was a factor in me going this route. Space wasn't a concern for me as it was direct replacement size.

Sounds like you have a plan. Best of luck. Looking forward to see the finished project.
Also worth clarifying that LiFePO4 is a different chemistry than straight Lithium ion batteries and are much more safe.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also worth clarifying that LiFePO4 is a different chemistry than straight Lithium ion batteries and are much more safe.
The real question is, can you get NASCAR pit times gettin' 'em in and out? lol
Sponsored