Sponsored

Dv8 rear lower shock skid plate- torq setting!?

OP
OP
Combustion_King

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I have the option to torq to spec, so why not. Thanks for all the help
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is the bolt size? And I assume Ford found some issues during durability testing for the suspension that calls for that torque.

OP
OP
Combustion_King

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a 27mm socket. But note sure the bolt diameter it self.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guarantee many of us aren't putting them back on with a torque wrench. If I can take them off with a 3 ft bar, I can certainly put them back on just as tight with it. How tight? Don't know. It's enough.
Same here. It took a 3 footer to break it so a 3 footer put it back on and I left it at that.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same here. It took a 3 footer to break it so a 3 footer put it back on and I left it at that.
Are these holding up to impacts? I have these waiting at home to install. My only real concern is how they attach to the mount. Would be nice if they added the secondary mounting holes as backup to the slip-in/ shear loaded setup.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Combustion_King

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these holding up to impacts? I have these waiting at home to install. My only real concern is how they attach to the mount. Would be nice if they added the secondary mounting holes as backup to the slip-in/ shear loaded setup.
The amount of strength I used to torque these to 350# and how I had to get them in, to start with between the bolts etc, I don’t see them Going anywhere

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wacked them a couple times in Moab. Haven't budged.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went the "by hand" route installing my guards today. How did you prevent the shock nut from rotating when torquing back to 350 ft-lbs? I'm going to need to grip the nut and probably jack the back end up to have enough clearance to tighten.

On a side note: Is this an exhaust leak of any concern? Before the muffler.

Ford Bronco Dv8 rear lower shock skid plate-  torq setting!? 20230527_200144

OP
OP
Combustion_King

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went the "by hand" route installing my guards today. How did you prevent the shock nut from rotating when torquing back to 350 ft-lbs? I'm going to need to grip the nut and probably jack the back end up to have enough clearance to tighten.

On a side note: Is this an exhaust leak of any concern? Before the muffler.

20230527_200144.jpg
I got a wrench, and used the pavement as my “other hand”. Then when it was time, I jacked the tire up to get the wrench stuck from the pavement.

tighting, I used a snap-on brand 350# torque wrench that a buddy had, long enough, but right to the bumper. it was small slow turns due to not being able to jack it up because I needed the pavement to hold the wrench. It’s doable, but it was a slow process.

if you take the bumper off, it prob be easier to tighten. An after though for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a wrench, and used the pavement as my “other hand”. Then when it was time, I jacked the tire up to get the wrench stuck from the pavement.

tighting, I used a snap-on brand 350# torque wrench that a buddy had, long enough, but right to the bumper. it was small slow turns due to not being able to jack it up because I needed the pavement to hold the wrench. It’s doable, but it was a slow process.

if you take the bumper off, it prob be easier to tighten. An after though for me 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks. Manged to do it without lifting. I ended up needing an impact to get the drivers side off. Also used a wrench on the nut and let it find a home whole tightening.
Sponsored