Electric Assist Steering on 2021 Bronco

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
So Electric assist steering is common place now on most sedans and crossovers. Useful for things like Parking assist, lane keep assist, crash avoidance, and on the highway will change the ratios so steering is not as erraticand for the F-150, Back-up Trailer Assist.

BUT NOW ford has installed a BEEFY electric assist system to the super duty! (So it can have all those options above). Rumor has it that it may also help with the death wobble!

I was originally thinking that the bronco wouldn’t have it because of how beefy it would need to be, but now it’s on the super duty.... anything is possible right?

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rd-patented-adaptive-steering-technology.html

19DB6971-955A-47FE-927A-A0FCE776A6CC.png

0F2452DB-C91E-402B-AAF4-1D2D55FC0870.png

Pics from TFL

Advertisement

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicles
If you’re off road and want a super quick steering rack with high assist then it would be a big benefit. Add less assist at higher speeds slow the ratio down. There’s big benefits to EPAS. If the system fails the collar on the steering column locks and everything is manual.

BuckedOff-Road

First Name
Austin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
If you haven't driven with this system (I only have on the f250) I recommend it. Very responsive!

BONESTOCK

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'94 Lightning w/TKO swap, '04 Procharged Mach 1, '13 F150 RCSB 5.0L, '61 Falcon
Ugh. Just another thing to complicate things.

OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
If you haven't driven with this system (I only have on the f250) I recommend it. Very responsive!

i only have on sedans and crossovers. Would love to try it on a truck.

MaverickMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj 80 amc eagle 85 cj7 laredo 79 ford quadravan(inoperable due to tragic fire)
Ugh. Just another thing to complicate things.
You missed the part where Chrispy said there is a collar that you can lock to make it full manual. You may have to work on the guns to drive it but manual is way better than a plastic jug full off hydraulic fluid feeding a whinning belt driven pump feeding a series of leak prone hoses all over half the engine bay. The 4 cjs ive had were all manual and so was my 400+ hp maverick. Really much better feel than P.S.

Or you can live with a newer stronger electric version.

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicles
You missed the part where Chrispy said there is a collar that you can lock to make it full manual. You may have to work on the guns to drive it but manual is way better than a plastic jug full off hydraulic fluid feeding a whinning belt driven pump feeding a series of leak prone hoses all over half the engine bay. The 4 cjs ive had were all manual and so was my 400+ hp maverick. Really much better feel than P.S.

Or you can live with a newer stronger electric version.
You can't manually lock it, it just happens if the system fails in order to have control over the steering. I've been driving EPAS systems for ten years and have only had one issue and that was on a 2017 Edge Sport that has some crazy setup.

MaverickMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj 80 amc eagle 85 cj7 laredo 79 ford quadravan(inoperable due to tragic fire)
You can't manually lock it, it just happens if the system fails in order to have control over the steering. I've been driving EPAS systems for ten years and have only had one issue and that was on a 2017 Edge Sport that has some crazy setup.
I would assume so, but im sure somewhere down the road someone will break something and figure out a way to fix it. On the first jeep i bought a 79 cj7 i found someone had fixed the heater ducting. What i found was duct made of camo Busch beer 12 pack box that somehow lasted atleast a couple years. Things break, and a percentage of those people fix it the wrong way, and a percentage of those people drink a 12 pack afterwards and decide to leave it lol!

I would rather have electric steering over hydraulic any day. Unless it was high quality ram type. Same with brake boosters. My brother designed and tested early ones for ford some decade or so ago.

JAGSarge

First Name
'Blu'
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95 (and a couple parts rigs)
Vehicle Showcase
EPAS is a common swap on Classic Mustangs now too. A lot of guys are running Saturn Vue & Toyota Yaris (maybe?) boxes; I want to say that in that system if a sensor or something fails, ie. no input, then the system has a default assist level. If the box fails completely well then you''re simply in manual steering mode. My 70 Mustang was originally a PS car, threw it all away and would only go to EPAS if I go back to PS.

Nickp

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER 4 DOOR MT
Holy shit people can complain about anything... EPS is significantly simpler than hydraulic power steering. Zero reason Ford should clutter up the engine bay more.

securitysix

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I would assume so, but im sure somewhere down the road someone will break something and figure out a way to fix it. On the first jeep i bought a 79 cj7 i found someone had fixed the heater ducting. What i found was duct made of camo Busch beer 12 pack box that somehow lasted atleast a couple years. Things break, and a percentage of those people fix it the wrong way, and a percentage of those people drink a 12 pack afterwards and decide to leave it lol!
Sounds like that guy had to drink the 12 pack before instead of after. :ROFLMAO:

The Ford Bronco Will Be Revealed In...