First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is basically what a "series hybrid" does. Best known example would be the Chevy Volt.

On paper, it's a great idea. You can run short trips on jut the battery, and if you have to go more than 30 miles the generator kicks in. Since the generator motor only runs an electrical generator (no mechanical connection to the wheels) it can be tailored to be as efficient as possible. The average commute in the US is 16 miles (each way), but I can't find the median.

For folks who had a short commute, this was a really great vehicle. I know folks who went months without adding gas, but then if they took a road-trip it was just like any other sedan.

At a battery range of only 30 miles, it was a bit niche, if they could have got the battery only range up to around 50 or 60 miles I think it would have been a lot better.

The only other issue was it was a crappy little Chevy.
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Then if the hybrid does this, why would you want an EV. The range is so limited. I spoke to a guy in March at a Love station in AZ. They were trying to do a cross country trip in a Tesla. Only getting 275 to a charge and then waiting hours to get back on the road. I can see the advantage for in town, local trips, but not cross country.

Thanks so much for the answers and education. Guess I will never be an EV person if the current technology limits my distance and increases my travel time.
If they were "waiting hours", they were doing it wrong. A supercharger is what they should and could have been using. My Model Y can go from 20-80% percent in 25-30 mins. I love taking road trips in it.

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is basically what a "series hybrid" does. Best known example would be the Chevy Volt.

On paper, it's a great idea. You can run short trips on jut the battery, and if you have to go more than 30 miles the generator kicks in. Since the generator motor only runs an electrical generator (no mechanical connection to the wheels) it can be tailored to be as efficient as possible. The average commute in the US is 16 miles (each way), but I can't find the median.

For folks who had a short commute, this was a really great vehicle. I know folks who went months without adding gas, but then if they took a road-trip it was just like any other sedan.

At a battery range of only 30 miles, it was a bit niche, if they could have got the battery only range up to around 50 or 60 miles I think it would have been a lot better.

The only other issue was it was a crappy little Chevy.
Someone who knows what they are talking about! Thank you!

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your Chevy volt is a hybrid, not an electric car.
Never said a volt was a electric car 🤷‍♂️

However, I did state it is a PHEV, if you didn't know, that stands for a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle, well now you know.

Sponsored

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

However, I did state it is a PHEV, if you didn't know, that stands for a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle, well now you know.
Just seemed irrelevant to compare a hybrid in a thread dedicated to electric vehicles. I know what PHEV. It still means that it is a hybrid. Not an electric vehicle. It is a series hybrid, not a parallel like a Prius. Different design for a similar result.

Say whatever you want after this. I am not here to argue.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they were "waiting hours", they were doing it wrong. A supercharger is what they should and could have been using. My Model Y can go from 20-80% percent in 25-30 mins. I love taking road trips in it.
Also, 95% of the driving folks do isn't road tripping. A couple hundred miles is enough to go to and from work multiple times for most people and for medium length trips to a camp ground or ski mountain

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Damn, every time I invent something I get beaten to the checkout.

This I have thought about several times, having a generator behind, making your EV a hybrid with extended range. But even more practical for EV purists would be a trailer carrying at z minimum full battery pack equivalent or larger that what is on board the EV. So ypu could conceivably add a 600 mile battery pack ( no passenger compartment or even motors necessary although wheel motors on trailer would be a plus) pulled by a car with 300 mile range and sure, range of car drops when towing but couldn't we now go 600 + miles before recharging, which is minimum for an EV to travel south to see the grandchildren.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And Ford/Lincoln offers these on the Escape platform in a very capable but not overly expense Corsair. So it is just a nip and tuck for the Bronco Sport to offer same. BTW, a well equipped Corsair is about same price as a well equipped Bronco softtop and what they share is lack of rooftop carriers.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Then if the hybrid does this, why would you want an EV. The range is so limited. I spoke to a guy in March at a Love station in AZ. They were trying to do a cross country trip in a Tesla. Only getting 275 to a charge and then waiting hours to get back on the road. I can see the advantage for in town, local trips, but not cross country.

Thanks so much for the answers and education. Guess I will never be an EV person if the current technology limits my distance and increases my travel time.
Why would you want an EV? Want you to rethink the logic you've used here. If it runs on gas, it must have an engine, radiator, oil, coolant, etc. An EV is just a battery suspension, and wheels.

The maintenance cost and complexity of a hybrid are more of an issue than an EV minus a ruptured or dead battery.

EV is the future of propulsion, period. Only fantasy tech is better. Meaning, fusion, nuclear, hydro - electric, which are maybe a century or longer from being even close to conceptual.

We can't even figure out how to harvest power from wind yet outside of a sail.

In 10 years, battery tech will be cleaner, lighter, and more efficient. I'm talking 400+ miles of range and charging that takes less than 20 mins. In 20 years this will triple without intervention to slow R&D, which is a thing.

Fast charging does not take hours. Most fast charging can today take a battery from 0-80% in 20 mins and this charging is basically trash DC charging. Higher capacity is coming online every day.

With all of this rosy talk aside, I still want an ICE Bronco for off grid trail running. Today's batteries lose far too much energy fast when pushed. They can handle weight well, but don't do well in cold or climbing.
Sponsored