PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh man. We almost bought a Probe. So glad We didn't. We ended up getting a 1991 Thunderbird SC instead. I loved that car.
Had a '92. Loved it as well, last of the personal luxury cars. Sweet ride...
Sponsored

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rich folks may or may not be any more intelligent. It has nothing to do with that.
They have more money šŸ’°. Itā€™s all relative.
I understand what youā€™re saying and I donā€™t disagree with your point. Iā€™m just saying that just because you ā€˜haveā€™ money doesnā€™t mean you have to be stupid with it. I make good money, Iā€™m still cheap as hell and Iā€™ll spend 20 minutes looking for coupon codes so I can save $10 whenever I can. I donā€™t give away my money just because I have an excess of it.

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When was the last time anybody here bought directly from a manufacturer? Closest I can get is buying produce from my Amish neighbors that grew it last month. Everything else I have purchased was through companies who do not produce anything, they are middlemen...
ā€œProduce,ā€ is that what the kids are calling it these days?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand what youā€™re saying and I donā€™t disagree with your point. Iā€™m just saying that just because you ā€˜haveā€™ money doesnā€™t mean you have to be stupid with it. I make good money, Iā€™m still cheap as hell and Iā€™ll spend 20 minutes looking for coupon codes so I can save $10 whenever I can. I donā€™t give away my money just because I have an excess of it.
Agree. I prefer the term "thrifty" as opposed to "Cheap" though... :)...

Sponsored

fr8ycat

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150 FX4, 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just here to watch sour grapes armchair economists tell us theyā€™re commies without telling us theyā€™re commies.
Amazing how "Commie" everyone becomes when all the sudden they don't agree with the free market economy.

PaulBrownSr

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borrowing lol
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I donā€™t think most people here care about dealerships charging whatever adm they want on their general inventory. I personally only take issue when they use ā€œbait and switchā€ tactics to *surprise* a reservation holder with a last minute $10,000 mark up. I can actually respect the dealers that are up front about it. I donā€™t like it but I understand it. But if youā€™ve been reading these forums for a while you will know that some are not up front about it at all. Just because itā€™s a move they can legally make (presumably) doesnā€™t mean itā€™s ethical.

I have my dealer on record in email telling me they do not charge above sticker for reservations. The general sales manager confirmed this in conversation too. I also have a Retail Order form with the salesmanā€™s name on it showing the ā€œout the doorā€ price with no adm. And after some of the posts Iā€™ve read on this forum, I am still a little anxious about how they could try some last minute trickery!

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I personally only take issue when they use ā€œbait and switchā€ tactics to *surprise* a reservation holder with a last minute $10,000 mark up. I can actually respect the dealers that are up front about it. I donā€™t like it but I understand it. But if youā€™ve been reading these forums for a while you will know that some are not up front about it at all. Just because itā€™s a move they can legally make (presumably) doesnā€™t mean itā€™s ethical.
Yes, this is a completely different, and legitimate argument against "shady" dealerships. Shady is when you've got a buyer basically trapped and you change the terms on them. Shady is not when you advertise a car for over MSRP and someone walks in of their own choice and buys it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder if this will help clear anything up. (Probably not.)

On the same forum (B6G), we've got one thread where dealers are being called scum for tacking on a 5K ADM to a Bronco, and we've got another thread where when asked how much you'd sell your Bronco for, people say "no way" at 20K (or even 30K!) profit.

:rolleyes:

Do people not grasp the idea that if you think the Bronco is so special (and scarce) to you that you're not willing to part with it for even a huge sum of money, dealers will not understand the EXACT SAME THING?!

Last edited:

Hank 615

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When was the last time anybody here bought directly from a manufacturer? Closest I can get is buying produce from my Amish neighbors that grew it last month. Everything else I have purchased was through companies who do not produce anything, they are middlemen...
With things you buy frequently or need special logistic considerations, like food or household supplies, it makes sense to have middlemen to manage the complexity of it for a small extra cost. Car dealerships are the opposite of that, they make a single purchase one makes every few years as expensive as possible to support a system that's obsolete and purposefully inefficient. It really cracks me up that people defend car dealerships as beacons of capitalism and the free market because most are just huge resistors in the flow of money.

The whole system could be replaced with a floor of kiosks in a manufacturer-owned service shop.

Comadivine11

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Amazing how "Commie" everyone becomes when all the sudden they don't agree with the free market economy.
Yep, don't have any facts to back up your argument? Simple, just call anybody who disagrees with you a "commie" or "soshulist"! Problem solved!

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It really cracks me up that people defend car dealerships as beacons of capitalism and the free market because most are just huge resistors in the flow of money.

The whole system could be replaced with a floor of kiosks in a manufacturer-owned service shop.
Two separate things. Sure, we'd all probably love it if dealerships were replaced and we bought cars like toilet paper and got warranty and repair work from the manufacturer. (Have you tried that with your dishwasher?) But currently that is not the system, and we are not even close to abolishing the dealer system. So do dealers have the right to make money? Sure they do.

Some people are acting as if dealers are a monopoly. Put whatever price on a car and we have to pay it. Obviously not true at all. We can go to the next dealer in the town, state, or even across the country. So the dealer who advertisers a Bronco too high will just sit there with rigs being unsold. If the dealer prices the Bronco correctly for the current market, they will move a ton of them.

I don't like dealerships anymore than the next guy, and I hate negotiating, but this whole idea of dealers as bad guys for selling a scarce commodity at the going rate is crazy. You'd never sell your own car for a penny less it's worth.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Two separate things. Sure, we'd all probably love it if dealerships were replaced and we bought cars like toilet paper and got warranty and repair work from the manufacturer. (Have you tried that with your dishwasher?) But currently that is not the system, and we are not even close to abolishing the dealer system. So do dealers have the right to make money? Sure they do.

Some people are acting as if dealers are a monopoly. Put whatever price on a car and we have to pay it. Obviously not true at all. We can go to the next dealer in the town, state, or even across the country. So the dealer who advertisers a Bronco too high will just sit there with rigs being unsold. If the dealer prices the Bronco correctly for the current market, they will move a ton of them.

I don't like dealerships anymore than the next guy, and I hate negotiating, but this whole idea of dealers as bad guys for selling a scarce commodity at the going rate is crazy. You'd never sell your own car for a penny less it's worth.
I agree

Buyers desire to minimize what they pay, and sellers want to maximize value of the transaction.

This isn't about dealerships or individuals, whatever role you play in the transaction, these are the goals

If the price increases were only bracketed to dealerships, some in here would have legitimate points, but the increases are near universal across the industry for new and used vehicles.

-The price increases would occur, even without dealerships, they would just have a more variable pricing model vs MSRP benchmark. Tesla has seen 20% increases in some of their models in 2021.

-The used car market prices increased 40% from 2020-2021.

-i just looked up my new BD on KBB and the used car trade in and private party prices are both greater than MSRP, what I paid a few weeks ago.

At the end, I think there are two natural tensions which exists, the buyer and seller interests...and they are not naturally aligned. Call it greed, call it bootlicking, call it whatever you want...but it is the current.aituation in much of the USA right now.
Sponsored