Sponsored

Engine clattering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2 door 2.3 MT. The engine started making a loud clattering noise yesterday after 700 total kms. It isnt consistent but once it starts it doesnt stop until the vehicle is turned off. Took it to the dealer and of course they can't replicate what happened so can't/ won't fix it. No idea what it is but doesn't sound good.
Audio file attached
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yikes. Does the sound change if you engage the clutch? Sounds similar to a couple other recent threads. I believe at least one turned out to be bad output shaft on the tranny.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yikes. Does the sound change if you engage the clutch? Sounds similar to a couple other recent threads. I believe at least one turned out to be bad output shaft on the tranny.
No doesn't make a difference with the clutch depressed. Just got it back from the dealer today and again they don't hear any noise. It comes and goes but happened again right after I picked it up.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go figure, seems to always be the case. May have to leave it with the dealer and have the service manager drive it for a couple days.

So is the chattering just start at random going down the road or is it just during start up when it's cold?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry what is the VHR? little hesitant giving out the VIN
Vehicle Health Report, cloud based service that lets techs see remotely any trouble codes that have occurred if the feature is enabled on the vehicle.

For privacy you can PM the VIN. Phil is a great guy and can be trusted for accurate help.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see you’re in CAN, did you mistakenly get the diesel option?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry what is the VHR? little hesitant giving out the VIN
After 300 total kms an engine light and soon after a service vehicle soon light came on. When the service vehicle soon light came on it went into reduced power. Immediately took it to the dealer and they said the code was for the turbo waste gate valve. Again they said everything was fine. Their response was that the vehicle was likely sitting for a long time and the valve was sticking. I didn't accept this and made them replace the valve. That was the first issue after 4 days. The noise that I posted earlier has happened before and after the waste gate valve was replaced. Currently no codes.

ByrdDogX

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was at Bronco Off-Roadeo in Vegas my Bronco (#28) almost sounded like the piston was slapping. Instructor said it was normal, but sounded anything but normal to me. It was consistent through the whole day.

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wastegate chatter could produce that noise, but I think it'd be higher pitched if it was. Had it happen on a BMW 335i I had. It's typically because it's adjusted too loose not because it's sticking. Does it go away when you're under boost?
Sponsored