Sponsored

Entry keypad - wireless? adhered with double sided tape?

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He's right. It's wireless, stick-on crap. Nothing like what's build into the pillars for the F-series trucks. Some guys are removing them and painting to match. Others are moving them elsewhere on the Horse. It's modicum of convenience only slightly outweighs the cheap construction and sticky tape...
Holy risen-from-the-dead thread, Batman!
Sponsored

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Raptor, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You do realize that the body side/door moldings have been attached with tape for decades?

FWIW, itā€™s easy to relocate to under the gas cap if you donā€™t like the looks.
What possible correlation is there between moldings and the remote door opener? Any yes, to answer your question, I know where sticky tape is used.

The factory remote is cheaply made and held on by stick tape, I'm sorry if that offends you. I was answering his question not seeking advice on how/where to relocate it. They could have made a much more substantial unit but they did not. No big deal, just offering my direct observation of the unit. Let me know if there is anything else I should "realize."

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What possible correlation is there between moldings and the remote door opener? Any yes, to answer your question, I know where sticky tape is used.

The factory remote is cheaply made and held on by stick tape, I'm sorry if that offends you. I was answering his question not seeking advice on how/where to relocate it. They could have made a much more substantial unit but they did not. No big deal, just offering my direct observation of the unit. Let me know if there is anything else I should "realize."
The correlation is that moldings are much heavier and that stick on crap keeps them attached for decades so they will also work on a lighter, smaller items like a remote on a car door. Lots of things on the Bronco are cheaply made plastics so that shouldnā€™t surprise anyone.

Your words of ā€œstick on crapā€ implied the only way to correctly attach something was with a mechanical attachment and thatā€™s what I was responding to.

Adhesives are used all over the automotive, marine, and aerospace world including to attach things like quarter panels, roof skins, door skins, and exterior body panels on planes and helicopters. They are often stronger than mechanical attachments as Iā€™m sure you already know.

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The correlation is that moldings are much heavier and that stick on crap keeps them attached for decades so they will also work on a lighter, smaller items like a remote on a car door. Lots of things on the Bronco are cheaply made plastics so that shouldnā€™t surprise anyone.

Your words of ā€œstick on crapā€ implied the only way to correctly attach something was with a mechanical attachment and thatā€™s what I was responding to.

Adhesives are used all over the automotive, marine, and aerospace world including to attach things like quarter panels, roof skins, door skins, and exterior body panels on planes and helicopters. They are often stronger than mechanical attachments as Iā€™m sure you already know.
Look at the big brain on Brad! The remote in question is a cheaply made, stick on piece of crap that could have been far better engineered. "Adhesives used all over the..." blah blah blah notwithstanding. Over-think much?

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Look at the big brain on Brad! The remote in question is a cheaply made, stick on piece of crap that could have been far better engineered. "Adhesives used all over the..." blah blah blah notwithstanding. Over-think much?
No over thinking here, when mine showed up with the cheap plastic keypad, my big brain told me to immediately remove it with some fishing line and relocate it under the gas cap where I didnā€™t have to look at it.

All the best. :)

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You do realize that the body side/door moldings have been attached with tape for decades?

FWIW, itā€™s easy to relocate to under the gas cap if you donā€™t like the looks.
I was going to say the same thing. I used to be skeptical as well of double-sided tape.

I use 3M automotive-grade double-sided tape to mount things like my dash camera though. I am amazed at how strong it is, but also how it can be removed if needed. This stuff holds my camera inside my vehicle through extremely hot and cold temperatures, and I've never had an issue. Pretty sure it can handle a keypad being installed on the vehicle, whether it's fully outside or located inside the fuel door.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was going to say the same thing. I used to be skeptical as well of double-sided tape.

I use 3M automotive-grade double-sided tape to mount things like my dash camera though. I am amazed at how strong it is, but also how it can be removed if needed. This stuff holds my camera inside my vehicle through extremely hot and cold temperatures, and I've never had an issue. Pretty sure it can handle a keypad being installed on the vehicle, whether it's fully outside or located inside the fuel door.
Full disclosure, I worked for 3M in the Automotive/Marine Division for the last 20+ years of my career so I know more about applications for boring products like double-sided tape and adhesives than anyone should. :) Iā€™m happy to answer questions or offer opinions about those or other car products such as compounds, polishes, and waxes.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No over thinking here, when mine showed up with the cheap plastic keypad, my big brain told me to immediately remove it with some fishing line and relocate it under the gas cap where I didnā€™t have to look at it.

All the best. :)

Better than leaving it on the door and removing the doors - how the heck do you unlock it if you didn't store the driver door behind the rear seat?

I have never seen the purpose of these, hardwired, wireless or even carried in your pocket.

It's been 50 years since my last college math but you only have 2 possible numbers for 5 buttons which until (please) proven wrong that is 2 to the 5th or ONLY 32 combinations to unlock your Bronco while you are not looking

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A heads up, if you buy it as an accessory, the Bronco has to be programmed by the dealer to recognize/accept it. I got it done for ā€œfreeā€ but others have had to pay for the programming time. It took about 10 to 15 minutes.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's been 50 years since my last college math but you only have 2 possible numbers for 5 buttons which until (please) proven wrong that is 2 to the 5th or ONLY 32 combinations to unlock your Bronco while you are not looking
Me too.
But:
4*5^4 = 4*5*5*5*5 = 2500?
Sponsored