First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

First Day Lunch.jpg

Welcome to Texas.jpg

Hidden Bronco.jpg

Tent Nap.jpg

Bronco.jpg

Camptsite Hanging.jpg

BLM Near Tuscon.jpg

Thor sizes up Saguaro.jpg

Hidden Bronco 2.jpg

Desert Night Sky.jpg

Joshua Tree.jpg

Jumbo Rocks.jpg

Joshua Tree Walk.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night 2.jpg

Summerland Beach.jpg

Big Sur.jpg

Kirk Creek Camp.jpg

Camp Lookout.jpg

Bunny Saga.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunset.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunrise.jpg

Green Valley.jpg

Gas Stop.jpg

Route 66 Needles.jpg

Locomotive Park.jpg

Sunset Crater Dispersed.jpg

Dispersed Camp.jpg

Forest Road.jpg

Flagstaff Motel.jpg

Snow Munching.jpg
Sponsored

JCdrivesPA

Badlands
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am so sorry about your dog. I had a German Shepherd that lived to be 14.5, after emergency surgery at age nine. I felt the same about her. I swear she understood English. I couldn't talk about her for five years afterward without getting emotional...

I had a catholic nun once tell me that "dogs couldn't go to heaven because they don't have souls"... A lot of people say to hurry up and get another dog. I don't know how you feel about that, but I'm sure they have souls, and I think he'd want you to get another dog to help you heal.
Same with my girl Kelli. she didn’t know commands, she knew phrases and I would have full blown conversations with her. 11.5 years with her before I had to say goodbye.
Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_0228

it took me six years to even think about another dog in my life, but now we have these 2 amazing kids in our lives. Seamus and Maggie.

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_0688

to the OP, my sincere condolences. He’s a handsome boy and I can tell you and He were bonded. I can’t tell you that the hurt will go away, I still think of Kelli with every new experience with my current pups, but I can promise that dogs make everything better. Take your time dealing with your loss, but open your life to another soul when you can. 6 years was too long for me because my life is exponentially better with these 2 in my family.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's no love stronger or stronger bond than that of a dog. They are only here for a short time but complete our lives in so many ways. I am truly sorry for your loss but know Thor is up there smiling down at you now. He will always be with you. God bless and sorry for your loss.

Lil Mul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2DR Badlands SAS / 2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear for your loss.
Yes, be careful with large dogs and stomach flipping.

My wife is an absolute nut case about not letting the dog run around after it eats. MANDATORY one hour of quiet rest after eating.

Sponsored

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_0688

I dreaded reading this post, but wanted to come here and express my deepest sympathies.
Looks like the two of you had a grand last adventure together.

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear, man. Dogs are the best, I am heartbroken for you. My GSD is getting up there in age and I am dreading the decline.
I wish I had a comforting message, but just wanted to say Thor looks like he lived a heck of a life with you and was lucky to have been your dog.

BBoyM3

Raptor
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Very sorry for your loss. Our pets add so much to our lives. Happy you got to make so many memories with him.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn. Tough to read this and not bring back great memories of pet companions. Glad you and Thor had that adventure, he looks really happy in those pictures.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

hes memories are as warm as yours im sure ....rip and my condolences brother

Sponsored

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My heart goes out to you about Thor. Thank you for sharing the story. I too am planning my first long distance trip on the mid Atlantic BDR this summer with my newly adopted pointer. She also is a large chested dog, and I have heard about gastric torsion before, but wonder if you think that the rough riding in the back of the Bronco may have contributed to her condition? The route that I plan to take promises to be very bumpy and I worry now especially after reading about your tragedy.

bjpatten

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose your best friend. I have lost many of them and every time it still eats me up inside. I have two more right now that are reaching their age 10 and 11. They have been with me through all my ups and downs including my divorce. Both are over 100 lbs and mean the world to me. I have a memorial for all my dogs on my wall as you enter my house. They are a big part of your life and I can see that Thor was a huge part of yours. I also teared up reading your post just because I am so attached to dogs because they are the best! They greet you as soon as you walk in the door. They know when you need them and are always by your side. Again sorry for your loss. Thor was a beautiful dog and lived a great life with you!

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have my condolences. While nobody can really understand how difficult this may be, my family is working through a similar process. We lost our beloved Daly-dog last month after 12 wonderful years. I think of her often and say to my myself “Till Valhalla sweet Daly”.

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So sorry for your loss...what an amazing journey you had with him...I am sure his wish was to be with you and I am sure he would have wanted it no other way.
Sorry for your loss and know the pain you’re feeling. We’ve had many GSDs and they are great companions. Always vowing to not get another when the heartbreak of illness hits them…but usually have another within that first month. Thor, you and your Bronco together was a great trip, memories in the making. Think of the wonderful last gift you gave Thor - the sights, the smells, the new people to meet and another chance to be a good ambassador for the sweetness of GSDs.
Thanks for sharing….suggest you give another GSD a great home and road trips!

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome trip and pics but I am so sorry about your pooch... I know that feeling all to well. Godspeed Thor
Sponsored