Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Simple question, to do my own work on my Broncos, what are the essential tools I should get? Not the basic mechanical tools, the more specialized ones I need to work on this new-fangled thing that is ruled by chips that think they are smarter than I am.

I've been doing almost all the work on my vehicles for the past 10 years and basic Maintenace (oil, brakes, wires, plugs, coil packs, points, etc) for 40 years so am no stranger to the mechanical aspects, and even used OBD2 to check codes and some diagnostics. My newest vehicle till now however was a 2004 model year which seemed so much simpler and much less controlled by computer chips.

I've heard lots of mention of Forescan which I expect is some sort of OBD interface.

I also try and get the service manual for my vehicles as I find things like Haynes or Chiltons always seem to leave out the bit of information i really need.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get a nice Torx Plus bit set. I just got this one, it's not expensive. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QL2SWS6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Get everything to change a tie rod. I'd love to sell you one of my kits, but you can put them together yourself as well and I'm out of stock right now too. The tool list is posted on my site for a guide.

Forscan is very handy. Any old junk laptap will run it. The Bronco can be picky about which adapter you use. Some of the successful ones are mentioned in the Forscan threads.

A typical metric socket set 8-19mm will do most of what you need, more pieces is always better of course. Ratcheting box end wrenches are helpful too.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The most essential tools you need to have in your Bronco:

1. If you work on it yourself:

Ford Bronco Essential Tools to Get? anax-2-gty-er-201001_1601574050259_hpMain_16x9_992

2. If you take it in to the dealer for warranty work:

6c-43655040ccda_1.ecc67c0db1f12c565a7295a43032c09f.jpg

But seriously, Forscan an an adapter will take you most of the way there, and FDRS and a compatible adapter will get you the rest of the way ;)

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There's nothing you'll ever "fix" with a forscan.

I suppose it can reset codes... but it's not like a computer where you might need to install some software to patch a problem.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
There's nothing you'll ever "fix" with a forscan.

I suppose it can reset codes... but it's not like a computer where you might need to install some software to patch a problem.
If installing a patch is necessary, what is the tool or is that a dealer only operation?

I have OBD2 interfaces that should let me see/reset codes, look at some data points, but not sure how comprehensive the tools I have now, but they were sufficient for my needs prior to the Bronco.

I would expect that there may be need to make adjustments thru software. I know that is what much of the electronics I design these days do rather than have some mechanical adjustment.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If installing a patch is necessary, what is the tool or is that a dealer only operation?

I have OBD2 interfaces that should let me see/reset codes, look at some data points, but not sure how comprehensive the tools I have now, but they were sufficient for my needs prior to the Bronco.

I would expect that there may be need to make adjustments thru software. I know that is what much of the electronics I design these days do rather than have some mechanical adjustment.
Patches would be over the air mostly, others could conceivably be dealer installed. The crux of it is that Ford won't be publishing patch files for public use anyway. If forscan would even be able to apply them.

In some cases, the patch is applied to some other module, not via obd

Forscan can definitely do other stuff. Modify settings like turning off stopstart or tweaking lighting settings. You could apply an engine tune.

But I would call any of that a "repair". You'll never be like "oh my car won't start, let me plug in forscan and toggle this setting to make it work".

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you want the "diet dealership" experience... you can get a VCM Lite ($500) and use Ford DiagNow, which is a mobile application software.

If you want the full DIY experience... you can get Forscan ($12/year) and an OBDLink EX ($60). The obvious downside with Forscan is it doesn't hold you hand at all. So if you don't know what your doing you can brick you vehicle.
Thanks for the summary. A VCM Lite would be within my budget if it adds sufficient value over Forscan.

At the moment I am bothered by the sound my one Bronco engine makes. One that I've heard before on older much simpler vehicles when I've advanced the timing too far. So I believe it is pre-ignition. It mostly goes away when the engine reaches full temperature.

The dealer's service manager who I took a ride to listen to it claims it is "normal", that they all do this. He suggested it should get better over time as the engine tunes itself. Maybe that is true, but my other bronco doesn't do that and I don't recall it ever doing it. This bronco only has 700 miles while the other has a couple thousand.

If it doesn't resolve itself I want to be able to do some diagnosis.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
But I would call any of that a "repair". You'll never be like "oh my car won't start, let me plug in forscan and toggle this setting to make it work".
Agreed, it wouldn't do that. My specific concern at the moment is if needed to adjust timing. Right now I have an issue that sounds like timing is getting too far advanced. Like maybe some cal is wrong or sensor not working.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great thread with great information! Following... 👀

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the summary. A VCM Lite would be within my budget if it adds sufficient value over Forscan.

At the moment I am bothered by the sound my one Bronco engine makes. One that I've heard before on older much simpler vehicles when I've advanced the timing too far. So I believe it is pre-ignition. It mostly goes away when the engine reaches full temperature.

The dealer's service manager who I took a ride to listen to it claims it is "normal", that they all do this. He suggested it should get better over time as the engine tunes itself. Maybe that is true, but my other bronco doesn't do that and I don't recall it ever doing it. This bronco only has 700 miles while the other has a couple thousand.

If it doesn't resolve itself I want to be able to do some diagnosis.
VCM light does not do much beside reset and display codes. I think they added some key programming function recently but unless you have an understanding of what you're looking and what it means, don't waste the money. It doesn't do any programming/updates or allow changing parameters. It's great for a tech or service advisor to go out on the lot and quickly retrieve codes, not really designed for the consumer.

I assume you have plenty of warranty coverage on your vehicle so my suggestion is to find a good dealer and let Ford take care of the stuff you've paid for.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed, it wouldn't do that. My specific concern at the moment is if needed to adjust timing. Right now I have an issue that sounds like timing is getting too far advanced. Like maybe some cal is wrong or sensor not working.
If you mess with timing and things go wrong... gonna be a new engine on your tab.

I'd listen to a few other broncos before concluding you're brand new car needs you to go mucking around with the timing

Even then, the correct fix would be to find the errant sensor, not just compensating for it.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume you have plenty of warranty coverage on your vehicle so my suggestion is to find a good dealer and let Ford take care of the stuff you've paid for.
Yep, still under warranty but it is so hard when you hear it and they can't, deny that they hear it or claim normal. Next dealer is about an hour away and will be warmed up and no be doing it unless I drop it off one night and come back the next morning to demonstrate has some major logistical hurdles for me.

If you mess with timing and things go wrong... gonna be a new engine on your tab.

I'd listen to a few other broncos before concluding you're brand new car needs you to go mucking around with the timing

Even then, the correct fix would be to find the errant sensor, not just compensating for it.
Besides my two broncos, I have driven three others, one I know was a 2.3L the others may have been the V6. I've also drove two Rangers with the 2.3L. I did not hear this with any of those. But who knows, maybe it will correct itself in another 700 miles. I just cringe hearing it and power definitely is low compared to my other bronco.

I likely wouldn't adjustment, but it is all an exercise in finding what is up. What input sensor input is putting it off or if it is running on a default cal value someplace because it lost its factory cal. If I know what the problem is I have better odds of getting the dealer to look at it and look in the right place.

I've probably screwed my warranty already by putting a non-ford oil filter on it. Wait that was my other bronco I changed the oil, but it won't be long before I change on this one too.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, still under warranty but it is so hard when you hear it and they can't, deny that they hear it or claim normal. Next dealer is about an hour away and will be warmed up and no be doing it unless I drop it off one night and come back the next morning to demonstrate has some major logistical hurdles for me.

Besides my two broncos, I have driven three others, one I know was a 2.3L the others may have been the V6. I've also drove two Rangers with the 2.3L. I did not hear this with any of those. But who knows, maybe it will correct itself in another 700 miles. I just cringe hearing it and power definitely is low compared to my other bronco.

I likely wouldn't adjustment, but it is all an exercise in finding what is up. What input sensor input is putting it off or if it is running on a default cal value someplace because it lost its factory cal. If I know what the problem is I have better odds of getting the dealer to look at it and look in the right place.

I've probably screwed my warranty already by putting a non-ford oil filter on it. Wait that was my other bronco I changed the oil, but it won't be long before I change on this one too.
The noise may be characteristic. My 2.3 is definitely loud when I first start but gets better after a short drive. The suck part for us is if we can't hear it, we can't fix it unless it's a known concern and Ford has issued a TSB or SSM. You can't adjust timing or any other functions nor would I suggest even trying that. The vehicle is "connected" and Ford can see everything going on with it. Don't give them a reason to cancel your powertrain warranty.

I am a dealer and have offered to run VHR checks for other members to see if codes are present or help when something has gone sideways. You can always DM me your VIN and I'd be happy to check it for you at any time (normal working hours).

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Trim tools, cheapest ones you can find.