Sponsored

Im getting ready to do my first oil change... is there any crush washer on the drain plug?

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I got oil and a filter, just making 100% sure no other parts will become necessary since I don't have another vehicle to get to the store in.
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got oil and a filter, just making 100% sure no other parts will become necessary since I don't have another vehicle to get to the store in.
You haven’t told us which engine you have.

ToddLabbq

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2.3l drain plug has seal built into it. no crush washer

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You haven’t told us which engine you have.
Ah figured it wouldn't matter, it's the 2.7l. Looks like plug and seal should be reusable unless it's damaged somehow

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But seriously, when I did my first oil change on my 2.7L I was very surprised at a few things:

1. The drain plug is plastic, never seen that before.

2. The plastic drain plug is somewhat recommended to replace at every oil change. Whoops! But I was doing my 1000M break in change, I'll get another one for the next change ;)

3. Have to remove the skid plate to drain the oil. Mine was kind of tight to pull out, but almost impossible to replace. The youtube video I watched showed the guy easily sliding it in, as the front goes between the frame and the bumper bash plate, but I could not get it in there. I had to eventually use an interior (to not gouge the steel) pry bar to pry the bumper bash plate down to get the skid plate in.

So, I was kind of kidding in my above post, but if you have done oil changes on many normal vehicles over the years like I have, I recommend reading up on this one or watching a video before attempting just so you know what is there.

And I also found the Bronco BadSAS to be tougher to squeeze under then my Rubi, but maybe I just need to lose some weight ;)

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah figured it wouldn't matter, it's the 2.7l. Looks like plug and seal should be reusable unless it's damaged somehow
Amazon.com: 6PCS Dsnaduo Oil Drain Plug Fit For Ford F150 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Lincoln MKZ Replace KX6Z-6730-B, KX6Z6730B, FT4Z-6730-A, FT4Z6730A, BC3Z6730A, BC3Z6730B : Automotive

This is the best value, last month I got the 8pc which was cheaper per but not available now.

The part that you will/may damage is the ears. Very easy to do. The ear tabs just keep the plug from rotating out, a safety or secondary feature, one tab is all you need. I'm a seasoned mechanic and was trying to be careful and still popped off a tab.

The wife's 3.0eb uses the same filter and plug, I bought in bulk for a lower per price and the filters do not seem to be all that common, strange since they have been used for 7 years now in the F150.

The key to not making a mess is to twist the plug out partially and keep it blocking the stream till the flow subsides. If you do it right no oil will be spilled or much on your fingers.

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Amazon.com: 6PCS Dsnaduo Oil Drain Plug Fit For Ford F150 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Lincoln MKZ Replace KX6Z-6730-B, KX6Z6730B, FT4Z-6730-A, FT4Z6730A, BC3Z6730A, BC3Z6730B : Automotive

This is the best value, last month I got the 8pc which was cheaper per but not available now.

The part that you will/may damage is the ears. Very easy to do. The ear tabs just keep the plug from rotating out, a safety or secondary feature, one tab is all you need. I'm a seasoned mechanic and was trying to be careful and still popped off a tab.

The wife's 3.0eb uses the same filter and plug, I bought in bulk for a lower per price and the filters do not seem to be all that common, strange since they have been used for 7 years now in the F150.

The key to not making a mess is to twist the plug out partially and keep it blocking the stream till the flow subsides. If you do it right no oil will be spilled or much on your fingers.
Thanks, just ordered the plugs.

That's always been my technique as well, just loosen the plug enough so it starts to leak out, I got lots of time, don't want a mess on the floor.

Sponsored

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My advise is to buy a 2nd car or do the oil change in the AutoZone parking lot. Something will come up.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Miraculously I have a few FL910S filters left over from my wife's old Ford Fusion hybrid. What are the odds (it's great to never throw anything away)? Now I just need to screw up some courage come oil change time to tackle the Bronco. Many thanks for the helpful links.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gtrekker