BroccoliBronc

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco black diamond manual, 2020 Fiat spider
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ours is an automatic and it is making a noise which sounds like engine pre-ignition, rod bearing or piston slap.
I also have this noise on my 22 Black diamond manual. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but that's the exact way I can describe it. I have always used 93 so I don't know what it could be.
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would not have thought exhaust or muffler can go bad until recently I experienced 2 defective mufflers. One was on a 2016 V6 Camaro- rattling from withinside the muffler. I thought for sure it was an exhaust shield but it was definitely from within the muffler. Car was out of warranty so I opted for an axle back from MBRP.

Second was on an aftermarket MBRP CAT back on a 2013 Silverado 4.8 V8. A chirping type sound that sounded like a bad serpentine belt. I even replaced the serpentine belt. It was not until I walked around the entire vehicle that I discovered the sound coming from within the muffler. I contacted MBRP and the system had a lifetime guarantee as it was the stainless one and once I showed proof of the receipt, they sent me a new muffler. I installed it and noise gone.

Hopefully they get the pipe and replace it. Should not have to hear the exhaust rattling sounds on a new vehicle.

BroccoliBronc

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco black diamond manual, 2020 Fiat spider
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would not have thought exhaust or muffler can go bad until recently I experienced 2 defective mufflers. One was on a 2016 V6 Camaro- rattling from withinside the muffler. I thought for sure it was an exhaust shield but it was definitely from within the muffler. Car was out of warranty so I opted for an axle back from MBRP.

Second was on an aftermarket MBRP CAT back on a 2013 Silverado 4.8 V8. A chirping type sound that sounded like a bad serpentine belt. I even replaced the serpentine belt. It was not until I walked around the entire vehicle that I discovered the sound coming from within the muffler. I contacted MBRP and the system had a lifetime guarantee as it was the stainless one and once I showed proof of the receipt, they sent me a new muffler. I installed it and noise gone.

Hopefully they get the pipe and replace it. Should not have to hear the exhaust rattling sounds on a new vehicle.
I honestly think I am going to grab a cat back and toss it on since I was going to do that anyways. If the noise persists I can always swap the OEM back on and take it in.

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for starting this thread. I thought I was loosing my mind. My 2.3L Auto OB 4-door does this every time it's started cold. In addition, I have a long pull uphill just outside of my neighborhood. It makes me nervous to give her the beans up that hill prior to being fully warmed up. I have run 87 octane and High (cant recall for sure 92/93) and it doesn't make a difference. While it's not "normal" it sounds like it is common. That makes me feel just a bit better.

Sponsored

50 and Fabulous

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door, 2022 Transit Connect
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

_jt

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Mazda Miata
Your Bronco Model
Base
I honestly think I am going to grab a cat back and toss it on since I was going to do that anyways. If the noise persists I can always swap the OEM back on and take it in.
I did go this route and the noise persists.

rgates135

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any solutions here? Ford? Help us!

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In case anyone is interested...2.3 engine noises- here is a video I took from the engine compartment on a test ride. Most of the clatter is the injection pump, I assume. That clatter is not my concern, it is the "rattle" sound that can be heard in the background at 2:42-2:43 and 4:24 - 4:28 and 5:27 - 5:31. It sounds like either pre-ignition or a rod knock. (btw my dad's 1980 Olds diesel was quieter than this engine-yikes)
Did you ever find out anymore about the rattles? Both my Ranger and 1k mile Bronco do it. I only run 93 and it only happens under load. Its incredibly annoying! How can this not be a known issue with so many of us having this issue.

_jt

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Mazda Miata
Your Bronco Model
Base
19k miles in and it's still driving me nuts.

Most recently installed the Ford foam engine cover. It helps some with the high frequency ticking that is clearly injector noise. However, the low tone, diesel-ish, sounding like it's trying to grind up walnuts sound persists.

It's half paid off and the interest rate is basically free compared to what I can get on the market now. Otherwise I'd be moving on.
Sponsored