Sponsored

Experiences with Beartown / October Mtn State Forrest Trails, Western MA?

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I may have a trip coming up that would take me near western Massachusetts. When I looked at the Bronco Trail App, it shows trails at Beartown State Forrest and October Mountain State Forrest.

Anyone have any experience with either of these trails? Are they for off-road vehicles (the only info I can find is ATV related)? Are the they worth visiting?

Ford Bronco Experiences with Beartown / October Mtn State Forrest Trails, Western MA? Screenshot_20230703_135551_Bronco Trail A
Ford Bronco Experiences with Beartown / October Mtn State Forrest Trails, Western MA? Screenshot_20230703_135542_Bronco Trail A

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

LordElberon

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in Pittsfield and have explored a lot of October Mtn mostly on my mountain bike. So I know that almost all of the trails are bearly passable on a bike nevertheless a Bronco. I own a "21" Black Diamond non-sasquatch and have ventured a few on the trails on Oct Mt. That would be Whitney Place Rd, Roaring Brook Rd, Schermerhorn Rd, and Ashley Lake Rd.

1. Whitney Place Rd is an old logging road that is bumpy and muddy but no real need for 4-wheel drive. There are some scenic spots, such as Farnham Reservoir, and a few river crossings. River crossing as in going over the river, culver below.
  2. Ashley Lake Rd is a bit more adventurous you will need 4-wheel drive, especially after all this rain. I gave myself a few trail pinstripes early in the year. Just make sure you branch off Ashley Rd and head towards Washington Mt Rd the rest of the road heading North I would say is unpassable. Cool spot to stop I call the Fountain of Youth which is at the base of Sandwash Reservoir. This is a huge 12-foot round man-made fountain fed by the pressure of the water in the reservoir.
  3. Schermerhorn Rd is mostly paved but has a great overlook and another nice reservoir to visit, Felton Lake.
  4. Roaring Brook is a dirt rd no real need for 4-wheel drive but a nice drive along the Housatonic River. Non of the water holes are deep or muddy.
  5. County Rd I know is passable as I have "seen" evidence of people passing it, just one section that I will not attempt without company and a winch. There are two river crossings I have done the lower one closer to Woodland Ave. The upper one is a bit too much for me, especially without larger tires or a winch.
Bear Mt I have not done yet. There are some places in VT that are a bit more challenging such as County Rd in Bennington.

Let me know if you have more questions.

OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in Pittsfield and have explored a lot of October Mtn mostly on my mountain bike. So I know that almost all of the trails are bearly passable on a bike nevertheless a Bronco....
@LordElberon that's exactly the information I was looking for, I really appreciate the the write-up. Thank you!

Sac109r

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 WildTrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve been to beartown twice, the main loop is wide enough for 2 vehicles side by side. Yes they do have atv,bike,snowmobile, and hiking trials that branch off all over the loop that’s not passive by vehicle , but the loop is great nice and easy great ride with the wife and kids, there is also a beach and swimming area. The main loop is partial paved, stone, and dirt came back from both trips with a mud covered WildTrak.

OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is also a beach and swimming area.
Well that's pretty cool, thanks for the info @Sac109r! My wife likes the sound of "nice and easy ride", I think she's tired of me scaring the crap out her.

Sac109r

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 WildTrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s a cool trail, we actually seen a baby black bear, the surrounding areas great barrington, Stockbridge are cool and very historical
Sponsored