BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks, BlueWaffle. Always wondered whether the OEM hoop steps could take any kind of hit without turning to mush. Good to see they can.

Hoop Step Hit
Glad to be the test mule lol, although... I'm not entirely sure how long everything would hold up if those step hits were a repeating occurance.. where the steps mount to the aluminum rail would probably turn to mush or crack sooner than later.

It was only on accident that they didn't get taken off before we went out.. bigtime cringe whenever one hit something lol.

Nice! I’m headed to Jericho in October. Headed to Gunstock in August. Any trails in the lower part of the state worth checking out?

Definitely going with a much more experienced crew up to Jericho - glad to know there are some green trails too.

I have no idea what's in the southern part of the state for actual trails.. Jericho Mt is unique as they have the only club maintained legal trails on state land in pretty much the whole northeast.

I wish I lived out west... infinitely more wheeling out that way! We get screwed up our way compared..

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I came away with total reassurance that I have no idea why creeping over a pile of boulders with the potential to damage one’s vehicle is appealing.
Man, I'm with you on this one. I'll stay on the beach with a cooler of beer and a surf rod.

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Man, I'm with you on this one. I'll stay on the beach with a cooler of beer and a surf rod.

Sounds good to me.... another thing we in the far northeast get screwed on. I'm *relatively sure* I'd have to drive two states away to legally drive on a beach..

Sponsored

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad to be the test mule lol, although... I'm not entirely sure how long everything would hold up if those step hits were a repeating occurance.. where the steps mount to the aluminum rail would probably turn to mush or crack sooner than later.

It was only on accident that they didn't get taken off before we went out.. bigtime cringe whenever one hit something lol.
Muchas gracias for being such a willing test mule--lol!

Initially, the hoop step was the only option that we would have passed on given a choice. As you mentioned, the hoop step uses an aluminum rail which supposedly won't support the vehicle's weight like the steel, non-hoop version.

Knowing that aluminum rail can sustain a decent hit with the hoop step installed is very encouraging. After seeing your video, I'm pretty confident this rail (without the hoop step installed) will provide more than enough protection for the kind of wheeling we do.

Strength issues aside, we've grown quite attached to these hoop steps. They've proven very functional without being aesthetically obtrusive, plus they can be quickly/easily removed.

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Muchas gracias for being such a willing test mule--lol!

Initially, the hoop step was the only option that we would have passed on given a choice. As you mentioned, the hoop step uses an aluminum rail which supposedly won't support the vehicle's weight like the steel, non-hoop version.

Knowing that aluminum rail can sustain a decent hit with the hoop step installed is very encouraging. After seeing your video, I'm pretty confident this rail (without the hoop step installed) will provide more than enough protection for the kind of wheeling we do.

Strength issues aside, we've grown quite attached to these hoop steps. They've proven very functional without being aesthetically obtrusive, plus they can be quickly/easily removed.

My feelings on the rail&step were the same as yours when I brought it home.. now that's its lifted and has the 35"s I'm pretty sure my fiance has changed her mind lol.. even I kinda like having the option of not having to HOP into the seat after a long day climbing ladders at work.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sounds good to me.... another thing we in the far northeast get screwed on. I'm *relatively sure* I'd have to drive two states away to legally drive on a beach..
I have to go 3 states to get to Holly Oaks, MI or out to Carova, NC, both are 9+ hour trips, I can be in the mud/rocks in 45 min lol

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I hear you, one of many things! It's worth making a trip to one if you get the chance!

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'd like to start building myself and the fiance a squaredrop camper in the relatively near future so we can more easily travel around and stuff... once I do we're definitely getting out to some dunes somewhere 😎

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ya @BlueWaffle, gotta hand it to you for beating the trails with less equipment. Good luck on building your camper!
Thanks! Got the plans all drawn up... just gotta wait to harvest the money tree lol.

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this is what they do on here when you talk about money. Everyone is apparently poor in their eyes without actually knowing the person. Classic bronco6g.
Aside from being rude and super low-class, most of the people who insult / comment on what people can or can't afford probably don't have much more than the money they saved and scrounged to spend on their Bronco and feel like that gives them the right to put others down...really gross behavior, poor form.

@BlueWaffle F-em, you have a sick truck, and it's really not their business what you can afford or what choices you make in your life. Everyone has their own priorities that make sense to them and their own lives. The people that make those comments are insecure and probably spend money on stuff that they don't "need" just because they need the approval from others or they are bragging about money to compensate for their small pecker - can I say pecker here? We are outdoorsy people and like birds so we can talk about things we may see on a trail such as a wood pecker, so I guess it's fine.
Sponsored