Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would stop with the bullet theories.

Tempered glass is under stress and the back window does not appear to be a laminate. On top of that Ford made it as thin as possible to save on weight.
That's fair but where I live getting shot at on the freeway happens, a lot. In fact, my bumper has a hole from some nutsack firing a .22 randomly.

Again - backroads Georgia vs. Columbus are not the same but my 3 is proof of it.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's uncommon but tempered glass can just explode. We had the glass in our back porch door explode a few months ago. Nobody had gone through it, nobody was even close to it. It just exploded.
This ^

I sell tempered glass, sometimes it just goes boom. We had a piece just sitting on our glass rack, still in it's protective film just go boom. Could have happened during tempering, installation or could have had a microfracture in it and the stress just got to it.

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, and the backwoods of a southern state (which I live in a southern state, BTW).
If it was a bullet, then there would have to be another tell-tale of it, I would think. To get a shot at such a glancing angle to shatter the glass (in a moving vehicle no less) and show no hole in the inside of the vehicle would be remarkable, to say the least!
A bb or pellet could have done it, doesn’t have to be a bullet.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sasquatch chucked a rock at you because you didn't get his name sake option on your truck? Possible!!

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a piece of gravel fly out of a front tire towards the front of the vehicle and hit the pavement then bounce of high enough for me to run into it with the windshield. Small chip.

Sponsored

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, and the backwoods of a southern state (which I live in a southern state, BTW).
If it was a bullet, then there would have to be another tell-tale of it, I would think. To get a shot at such a glancing angle to shatter the glass (in a moving vehicle no less) and show no hole in the inside of the vehicle would be remarkable, to say the least!
Never underestimate a Redneck with a Wrist Rocket.
Don't axe me how I knows this...

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would stop with the bullet theories.

Tempered glass is under stress and the back window does not appear to be a laminate. On top of that Ford made it as thin as possible to save on weight.
No doubt the glass is spec’ed out to save weight,but I highly doubt Ford makes the glass. It has become apparent the car makers “ make” very few of the components to build their models. They basically assemble contracted out parts.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No doubt the glass is spec’ed out to save weight,but I highly doubt Ford makes the glass. It has become apparent the car makers “ make” very few of the components to build their models. They basically assemble contracted out parts.
Just stop. You know I know they don't make the parts.

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably sasquatch like someone mentioned, or maybe chupacabra. I've heard they have both migrated to the south for warmer weather.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, the wife and I were traveling a paved back-road, just outside of Ellijay, Georgia, about 30 miles an hour.
All of a sudden, a loud boom, like an explosion, and then glass everywhere.
The back lift glass exploded into a million tiny little pieces (as tempered glass does when broken).
We were not speeding. We were not on a gravel road (how does a rock kick up from a road anyway and break a back glass???). The road was paved and smooth. No potholes. No houses anywhere to be seen.
My wife even surveyed the inside when we got home looking for a bullet hole on the inside.
Nothing.

Anyone else have a problem with back glass, or any other glass, shattering on their Bronco, randomly?

We have a 2022, 4dr, 2.3L, MT, non-squatch, steelies, MIC top.

The only thing I can think is that the back glass was in a bind from installation, or flex from driving it, and it decided to explode at that certain time.
I guess it could be a defect in manufacturing also....maybe.

Let me know what you think.
Yes, we are concerned that Ford will not warranty this.

TG
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Likely going to be an insurance claim. Should be covered under your comprehensive policy.

EpicExplorer

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doesn't the back glass open with lift supports?
My 05 explorer back glass shattered when I very gently tapped a tree with my bumper while reversing. I found out the lift supports can be over-compressed and basically force the glass "open" with any influencing force (a bump or example).

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
So can you see where my order is...Hmmmmmmmm??

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Even high wind should not shatter tempered glass, unless there is a manufacturing, or installation, defect.
My money says that Ford says...

Ford Bronco Exploding Back Glass 7f49e2acb05a4beab23e908069e2ca22

You shouldn't have waxed it. Sorry, we don't cover trim pieces, or that it's a consumable.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Installation could be the cause. Maverick has had some windshields crack because of contact where it shouldn’t.
Sponsored