Sponsored

Failed software update, unable to start vehicle!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And parking brake applied. ;)
Oh yeah and that too... I think I just do that automatically on all my cars...I even trained my wife to always have her foot on the regular brake, the car in neutral, then the parking brake applied, then foot off the brake and then into park (our driveway is on a slight hill and even the garage floor has a slight slope, and I always want to try and avoid the dreaded parking pawl "clunk" when taking the car out of park).
Sponsored

• Love
Reactions: 0ne

Steph

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Mustang Bullitt, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dumb question. Shouldn't a failed update revert back to the previous version? This is the first I have heard of a software update immobilizing the vehicle.
I'm an engineer that has developed many cell phones over the years...you always save the old image and restore before deleting in case download fails.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm an engineer that has developed many cell phones over the years...you always save the old image and restore before deleting in case download fails.
Who does the software at Ford anyway?

ziskers

Outer Banks
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also had issues updating the software on my 2021 Bronco and ended up having to take it to a dealership. Luckily, the dealership left a lot of notes regarding the fix.

In essence, they had to completely wipe and reinstall the Sync module, accessory protocol interface module (APIM), telematics control unit (TCU) and the gateway module (GWM). They released a service bulletin about this (22-2404). This affects the 2021 F-150, Edge, Mustang Mach-E and Lincoln Nautilus as well.

If anyone has access to the FDRS, they can do this themselves, although a tad risky as there is a security safeguard on the APIM that will in essence "lock out" after too many failed attempts. Only fix at that point is to completely replace the module. Ford techs have accidentally done this so much that the module has been on backorder for quite a while. I attached a PDF copy of their bulletin if anyone wants to try this procedure themselves. It does require some specific USB-to-Ethernet adapters in order to do it.

If you have to take it to a dealer, they were kind enough to charge it as a warranty repair, so I paid nothing.

Attachments

• Wow

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It does require some specific USB-to-Ethernet adapters in order to do it.
You're also probably going to want to have a decent 12V power supply that can keep the battery fed while you're doing all this. OBD-II isn't exactly a fast data bus so these processes take some sweet time - and running out of power in the middle of it is the last thing you want.

ziskers

Outer Banks
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You're also probably going to want to have a decent 12V power supply that can keep the battery fed while you're doing all this. OBD-II isn't exactly a fast data bus so these processes take some sweet time - and running out of power in the middle of it is the last thing you want.
Fair point, they do mention that in the bulletin too.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it best to set to manual updates rather than automatic updates?

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Is it best to set to manual updates rather than automatic updates?
there are both pros and cons.

If you’re pretty good about setting a schedule or checking for releases and reading release notes then yes, stick to manual updates and do them when you aren’t going to be too put out an update bricks.

otherwise no. Honestly bricking is so expensive forford to deal with. Typically in a software cycle major issues get fixed early on.
Sponsored