Sponsored

Failed software update, unable to start vehicle!

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Ford, how' s that working from home thing going for you? Not so good when it comes to validating things for actual vehicles!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A CS rep told me yesterday evening that a rental car is paid for through the dealer. The dealer said that isnt true. Then i spoke to a different ford rep who said since I rented a non-Ford vehicle they will only cover $40 per day (not 45)... IF the dealer can confirm it is covered under warranty and they don't know that yet.

I just want my Bronco back in the same condition it was before the failed software update... but its pretty frustrating all of the hoops and delays and misinformation.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This really sucks...I mean..I really enjoy driving my Bronco but all these issues, both technical and customer service just me the jitters!! Good luck my friend. Everything does eventually works out!!

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco has updated several times and I have never taken the headlights off AUTO. Sounds like they make things up to sound like they know what they are doing when they, in fact, do not.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
can this be mitigated by having auto-updates turned off?

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

can this be mitigated by having auto-updates turned off?
While this sucks for OP, there haven't been many examples of this happening. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While this sucks for OP, there haven't been many examples of this happening. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Good point... If I were not on this side of the situation. HAHA

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe working in IT has ruined me, but the amount of electronics/computer controlled things in the new Bronco definitely concern me. When I get mine, that telematics modem fuse is coming out, and I don't intend on installing any updates unless there is some issue to resolve or new feature that I think I'll use.
You may be like me and not even have to pull the fuse to not get updates. I have an open recall for a backup camera malfunction that was released on 11/3/22. Ford says it will be completed though an OTA software update. My last update was 10/17/22 and, even if manually trying to force one, I get a "no new updates available" notice. :rolleyes:

With all of the goofy electronic issues I'm having, I'm really starting to appreciate my wife's Wrangler Sport - no glitchy OTA updates, no automatic headlights that turn themselves on multiple times a day while the vehicle is off, no electronic parking brake that goes haywire if you turn off the vehicle and don't open the door for 10 or 15 minutes, etc.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First thing I did was turning off "updates"

windows-xp.gif
how do I turn off updates?

*Found it, turned it off although I did it after I updated after I found this thread

Last edited:

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point... If I were not on this side of the situation. HAHA
Oh yeah, your situation definitely sucks especially since they're not giving you clear answers and a quick resolution to your issue, but I think folks get way too worried about things that have a low probability of happening to them. I have automatic updates on and have received multiple updates without any issues, and I'm guessing since there haven't been many posts about this issue that most people are also ok.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You may be like me and not even have to pull the fuse to not get updates. I have an open recall for a backup camera malfunction that was released on 11/3/22. Ford says it will be completed though an OTA software update. My last update was 10/17/22 and, even if manually trying to force one, I get a "no new updates available" notice. :rolleyes:

With all of the goofy electronic issues I'm having, I'm really starting to appreciate my wife's Wrangler Sport - no glitchy OTA updates, no automatic headlights that turn themselves on multiple times a day while the vehicle is off, no electronic parking brake that goes haywire if you turn off the vehicle and don't open the door for 10 or 15 minutes, etc.
I haven't had a single one of these issues, and cognitive bias tells me that it's because I'm on an update free version of the software that my Bronco was made with, and the second I decide to update I'm essentially hopping into that probability pool of suck.

The other side of that argument is that I just haven't met the right criteria for the bugs to happen and screw up my software yet, and all of those things could be in my future at any moment...except now I'm so far behind on updates to install updates so the updates don't brick my Bronco after an update that fixes those problems that it might cause even more suck.

Maybe I just need to schedule an update at the dealership and let them handle it. They're a dealership, they can deal with it, it's part of their namesake.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A CS rep told me yesterday evening that a rental car is paid for through the dealer. The dealer said that isnt true. Then i spoke to a different ford rep who said since I rented a non-Ford vehicle they will only cover $40 per day (not 45)... IF the dealer can confirm it is covered under warranty and they don't know that yet.

I just want my Bronco back in the same condition it was before the failed software update... but its pretty frustrating all of the hoops and delays and misinformation.
That is BS
Failed OTA update
Does not start
How is it not warranty?

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is BS
Failed OTA update
Does not start
How is it not warranty?
I believe it will be considered a warranty repair but it’s frustrating they told me that it may not be. I can’t imagine a scenario where this plays out that it’s not covered. I just don’t know how long it will take and I don’t know if they are going to reimburse me for the rental

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I believe it will be considered a warranty repair but it’s frustrating they told me that it may not be. I can’t imagine a scenario where this plays out that it’s not covered. I just don’t know how long it will take and I don’t know if they are going to reimburse me for the rental
I would take rental back and go back to dealer for one.
You having to pay for it is not acceptable dealer told me once that they didn't have a loner, warranty covers it I said. Service Manager called enterprise all they had was a Nissan pickup. They come and picked me up at dealer did paperwork and told me that it is more than warranty covers. Told them not my problem that's the dealerships problem.
They need to make it right.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's the problem with 12AM? Oh know they still have a Y2K problem!! I'm going to completely disable auto updates. That said you should be able to get a rental car for $45 almost anywhere. You must be going for the lux models.
Sponsored