Sponsored

Fair warning on MIC top and strap protectors...

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I've had my MIC top off most of the summer and placed on a pallet while enjoying my soft top. I am putting the hard top back on this week and went to check and make sure all was in order. To keep the rachet straps from rubbing or marring the top, I was using silicone rubber strap protectors. After loosening the straps today, the strap protectors have fused themselves to the MIC top I don't know if the root cause was due to solvents still escaping the plastic MIC top or if it was the silicone, but it sure is bonded to the top. The only saving grace is that my warranty replacement top still hasn't come in after a full year. I'm still in no hurry to claim the replacement as I don't think Ford has a permanent, lasting solution for the MIC top. Watch what you put on that top guys and gals. I have no idea how to get this off without damaging the top itself. I'll try and get pics up tomorrow. I was too irritated today to spend any time around it. Open to suggestions...
Sponsored

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, I've had my MIC top off most of the summer and placed on a pallet while enjoying my soft top. I am putting the hard top back on this week and went to check and make sure all was in order. To keep the rachet straps from rubbing or marring the top, I was using silicone rubber strap protectors. After loosening the straps today, the strap protectors have fused themselves to the MIC top I don't know if the root cause was due to solvents still escaping the plastic MIC top or if it was the silicone, but it sure is bonded to the top. The only saving grace is that my warranty replacement top still hasn't come in after a full year. I'm still in no hurry to claim the replacement as I don't think Ford has a permanent, lasting solution for the MIC top. Watch what you put on that top guys and gals. I have no idea how to get this off without damaging the top itself. I'll try and get pics up tomorrow. I was too irritated today to spend any time around it. Open to suggestions...
Now you have excuse to paint it wimbleton white!

OP
OP

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s an odd outcome, thanks for sharing. Your top hasn’t come in? You might want to follow up with your dealer. Mine was ordered and replaced in 5 weeks. I did wait almost as long as I could, but my “end date” for replacement was in September, per the ford bulletin. I will say my first top was better than most, my second top is definitely better.

Sponsored

70&22bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Fallon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This may be a shot in the dark but worth trying…

I’ve never had to remove something that is fused together, BUT have you tried a blow dryer? Yes, the one for your hair. Lol. My husband has a heat gun, but I’m not sure if that’s too hot so I use a blow dryer when I want to remove something that is stuck on, like a sticker. It does take time and patience, but you hold the blow dryer in one spot while gently pulling on whatever is stuck. I always clean up the remaining residue with some rubbing alcohol (not sure if I’d use rubbing alcohol on a MIC top, though).

Again, this may not be a solution for what you’re experiencing but I thought it was worth a try.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As was alluded to above, the window for replacing MIC tops 1.0 has passed. You better follow up with your dealer to see if the replacement is still being processed. Otherwise, you are stuck with the MIC 1.0. Don't take a heat gun or use any solvents. A hair dryer will be your best recourse. Pick an inconspicuous spot to test Goo Gone. Any solvent such as Acetone will likely leave you with just the recycled pizza box core.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

As was alluded to above, the window for replacing MIC tops 1.0 has passed. You better follow up with your dealer to see if the replacement is still being processed. Otherwise, you are stuck with the MIC 1.0. Don't take a heat gun or use any solvents. A hair dryer will be your best recourse. Pick an inconspicuous spot to test Goo Gone. Any solvent such as Acetone will likely leave you with just the recycled pizza box core.
This^. No Acetone (fingernail polish remover). As Ken says. “Pizza box core “

OP
OP

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a very early 2.0 but was delivered broken. I ended up speaking with the dealer yesterday about having the Ford Performance tune uploaded and the service manager mentioned that the top was still on order. I will delve deeper into it with him when I go in for the upload and try and get an expected delivery date. I appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions. Hopefully, this stuff will come off without taking part of the top out finish with it.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This^. No Acetone (fingernail polish remover). As Ken says. “Pizza box core “
Not sure about fingernail polish remover, but honestly was thinking if there is something similar.

The OP may want to inquire with a shop, not the dealership, but someone who deals with composite plastics or paint, etc. I know others have experienced such bonding in summer heat; maybe the military logistics types?

Hate this happened, but aren’t we all glad that he shared the experience?
Sponsored