First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's because when it comes down to it 3500lbs is just not enough for a lot of super-duper-ultra light off-road trailers that generally have the same target demographic as the Bronco. Even 4000lbs or 4500lbs looks to open a lot of doors. 3500lbs seems to be a default number thrown at mid-sized CUVs so for those of us who are going to tow with it the stated number appears to have been given no thought beyond matching Wrangler.
Everyone is on here because they are drawn to the Bronco, but everyone's wants and needs are slightly different. Some of us will not be rock crawling on Moab but will be taking a small trailer out to our hunting/fishing/exploring basecamp, for example.
I'm curious what trailers specifically you're looking at. There are a lot of teardrop-type off road trailers well under 3500lbs, and top end popups and tent campers from companies like Opus and Black series that weigh under 3,000lbs but have GVWR over 3500lb just because of high load capacities.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm curious what trailers specifically you're looking at. There are a lot of teardrop-type off road trailers well under 3500lbs, and top end popups and tent campers from companies like Opus and Black series that weigh under 3,000lbs but have GVWR over 3500lb just because of high load capacities.
There's a thread here that shows the really really lightweight kind of trailer that you'd need, many of which appear to be little more than very expensive camping totes on wheels:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/sub-2k-lb-camp-trailer-to-tow-with-bronco.4545/
Keep in mind that Ford allows only 300lbs of human and an assumed tongue weight of 10% in/on the tow vehicle before payload starts to take away from the towable weight. If you have any kind of family or hunting/fishing buddies or doggy friends with you then that 3500lbs starts to disappear really quickly.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's a thread here that shows the really really lightweight kind of trailer that you'd need, many of which appear to be little more than very expensive camping totes on wheels:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/sub-2k-lb-camp-trailer-to-tow-with-bronco.4545/
Keep in mind that Ford allows only 300lbs of human and an assumed tongue weight of 10% in/on the tow vehicle before payload starts to take away from the towable weight. If you have any kind of family or hunting/fishing buddies or doggy friends with you then that 3500lbs starts to disappear really quickly.
Right but you're saying that there are trailers in the 4,000-4,500lb range that you may be interested in with a little extra towing capacity and I'm asking what trailers you're looking at in that range specifically.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Right but you're saying that there are trailers in the 4,000-4,500lb range that you may be interested in with a little extra towing capacity and I'm asking what trailers you're looking at in that range specifically.
That was based on some of the observations in that thread. 3500lb GVWR is likely too high for a 3500lb TC vehicle, so even 4000lbs gives you that fluff factor for some safety and payload in the tow vehicle. Check out @Eggsalad 's trailer for another good example of something that is just a little too big for 3500lbs.

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It seems like the build & price will be packed with a lot of options and accessories. It's something we all probably guessed at. It will be fun to play with, when available.

Sponsored

A1A

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am finding all of this interesting....

because I currently have an FJ Cruiser with a factory class 3 hitch and towing capacity of 5000...and it is a smaller vehicle than the 4 door Bronco

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
" • Bronco nation is working on/ with Ford to produce an in-depth video of paint colors, trims, inside color options etc. stay tuned for this moth and be looking on Bronco Nation forums. The Bronco Nation "

That sounds like they are holding up Build and Price to get this exclusive content. Guess what I won't be doing before B&P shows up?

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm going to end this towing craziness once and for all.....

Ford Bronco FB member Q&A SmartSelect_20200914-212310_Google

My little V6 Mustang can tow 1000 lbs. There's NO reason why a Bronco can't tow 5k. And don't tell me I need to find another vehicle. Don't tell me we'll do I want off road capable or towing capacity? The Bronco at its core is a Sport Utility Vehicle... It can do both!

???

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

" • Bronco nation is working on/ with Ford to produce an in-depth video of paint colors, trims, inside color options etc. stay tuned for this moth and be looking on Bronco Nation forums. The Bronco Nation "

That sounds like they are holding up Build and Price to get this exclusive content. Guess what I won't be doing before B&P shows up?
Quick, someone go steal the video, it'll leak over here 1st. We get B&P. Problem solved!

A1A

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm going to end this towing craziness once and for all.....

Ford Bronco FB member Q&A SmartSelect_20200914-212310_Google

My little V6 Mustang can tow 1000 lbs. There's NO reason why a Bronco can't tow 5k. And don't tell me I need to find another vehicle. Don't tell me we'll do I want off road capable or towing capacity? The Bronco at its core is a Sport Utility Vehicle... It can do both!

???

Ford Bronco FB member Q&A 1600139538224

Love It!

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FoMoCo should make it available and let the Buyer Choose if they want Towing or Articulation.
But they do give a choice, for towing they sell F-150s and articulation they sell broncos! Sarcastic reply, but the joke was there haha

I don’t get the towing weight concerns, look at the geometry of the rear axle suspension design, I wouldn’t want to get anywhere near the 3500lb capacity. This is made for high speed rough terrain travel, it’s not a tow rig.
I agree. Everybody wanting to tow 3+ tons of death trap is wanting a bronco for the wrong reasons

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you want to tow your offroad toys why would you buy a bronco just to park it at the campsite? I think a FX4 Ranger fits the bill for all of you that have heavy tow needs but still want a capable 4x4.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I tow this trailer offroad with an '08 4Runner getting through washouts as pictured. Trailer is 3000lbs dry, 4000lbs loaded for offgrid for a week. All of the comforts of home for a week as a basecamp, then we go offroading and exploring.

Bronco should be able to handle that same trailer to the same places easily. Can't do it with a ClassII hitch and 3500lb tow capacity, trailer would destroy the ClassII hitch.

2008 TRailmanor Gila Bend washout 2016.png

2017 winnebago mesquite.JPG

2017 winnebago mesquite1.JPG

2017 winnebago mesquite2.JPG

2017 Winnebago 1706fb Mesquite 2017.2.jpg

2017 Winnebago 1706fb Mesquite 2017.3.jpg

2017 Winnebago 1706fb Mesquite 2017.4.jpg
Sponsored