Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've seen a few 6th gen Broncos with chromed or polished bumpers similar to the first gen. Here's another one. Anyone have more information on the source of these?

Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers Screenshot 2023-08-31 085301

Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers Screenshot 2023-08-31 085221
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am betting that in person it doesn't look good. I just replaced the bumper on our Wildtrak and there is so much crap hidden behind the factory bumper there is no way a blade bumper could possibly hide it.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am betting that in person it doesn't look good. I just replaced the bumper on our Wildtrak and there is so much crap hidden behind the factory bumper there is no way a blade bumper could possibly hide it.
Why couldn't someone just chrome one of the steel bumpers? Or paint it white. I remember back in the day you could get rims chromed for a fancy penny. With all the bumpers, I assume one of them might look good.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why couldn't someone just chrome one of the steel bumpers? Or paint it white. I remember back in the day you could get rims chromed for a fancy penny. With all the bumpers, I assume one of them might look good.
I replaced the factory "steel" capable bumper which actually has a ton of plastic to help hide what's behind it. Maybe the Modular bumper would be a better candidate for chrome?

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I replaced the factory "steel" capable bumper which actually has a ton of plastic to help hide what's behind it. Maybe the Modular bumper would be a better candidate for chrome?
Yeah, the mod bumper seems to be mostly steel, however it has a bunch of bolts for attachment. Wonder how that would work. I'm thinking aftermarket as well.

It's funny, Chevy has a "Texas Edition" that's really plastichrome grill etc plus chromed bumpers and a placard. Apparently Texans demand chrome more than, say, Ohioans. 🤷‍♂️

I guess it'd be too much to ask for Ford to offer a chrome package. Probably the wheels really would fly off...

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm not a fan of the blade bumpers in the video at all but here's a few ways that's been done semi-retro right using the modular bumper, at least IMO:

The Pope Francis Center Bronco:

Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers 1.JPG

and the Raptor:

Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers 3geb8NMz-vqKn4ykwgX-(edit)

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing, but when we developed the dune buggy golf cart, we added custom made flat black fiberglass facias and shrouds to hide things and it worked well. If we didn't, your eye would be drawn to all the golf cart suspension, etc. I 'd have to mock it up to know if I'd like though.
Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers IMG_0503.JPG
Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers Jon and Mary and Orange Buggy

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I get the desire to turn the clock back, but I think there's a lot of good reasons chrome bumpers went away, same as black and white TV.

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get the desire to turn the clock back, but I think there's a lot of good reasons chrome bumpers went away, same as black and white TV.
I understand the heritage look and chrome is not for everyone, but yes, I'm nostalgic and though many are into blacking it all out, I am still fine with chrome (or as they say in the industry -brightwork, which includes stainless and polished aluminum, etc.)

That said, I am okay with the bumpers as they are now, and I'm pleased with the way my first gen tribute has turned out so far, but that's not going to stop me from thinking about ways to possible tweak it and improve it to my satisfaction. It mostly checks all the boxes for me - modern daily driver with a somewhat vintage look. The alternative could have been a restomod of an old Bronco and modern amenities, but that can be more expensive and still falls a little short of being as good, safe & quiet as most newer cars.

Yes, heavy metal bumpers went away, but there were no air bags or ABS on the originals either. It's hard to have everything. This is my compromise - a retro-mod or some say modern vintage or back-dated

Last edited:

Sponsored

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where can I get a set of those hubcaps for my 16" steelies? I like that look!

I'd appreciate a part # if anyone has a clue.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wait... You're that Manx?! As in Meyers? Respect! I've had a number of VWs through the years and always wanted one.

OP
OP
Manx

Manx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wait... You're that Manx?! As in Meyers? Respect! I've had a number of VWs through the years and always wanted one.
Bruce Meyers created the Meyers Manx and sadly, he is no longer with us. But I had the privilege of meeting Bruce and his wife at a kit car show in Pennsylvania years ago. He asked if he could take photos of our dune buggy golf carts, and I told him " you inspired this and can do anything you want". We offered to make a Meyers Manx edition of the DBGC but he said his company was already in a relationship with an electric car company and could not.
Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers IMG_9404a
Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers IMG_9377
Ford Bronco First Generation Look - Chrome Bumpers IMG_9376

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not an EB expert, but perhaps those are just EB bumpers modified to fit the 6G?

Whatever they did, I'm here for it. Ford or the aftermarket need to get off their asses and offer a chrome package!

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've thought about color-matching the bumpers to the carbonized Everglades wheels (if/when I get them), or maybe match the beadlock rings to the bumpers in a nice satin silver. I think it could work, but there is a good chance it'd be heinous unless it was done just right.
Sponsored