Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

About 2,800 lbs.
If you weigh 2800 lbs total then you must not carry any tools supplies at all or the trailer is very light. A XP4 should weigh 1700 with no accessories. Even a cheap light weight 14' trailer should weigh 1500 lbs. That's 3200 lbs already.

Have you actually weighed that combo?
Sponsored

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. Is that at a moderately high elevation? I have a Sierra 5.3L, and though I assume it to be a fair bit lighter than the Suburban, it tows my RZR 4S like a boss.
Elevation is between 5,000 and 9,000 feet. What gearing do you have? The Suburban had 3.42 gears.

Last edited:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you weigh 2800 lbs total then you must not carry any tools supplies at all or the trailer is very light. A XP4 should weigh 1700 with no accessories. Even a cheap light weight 14' trailer should weigh 1500 lbs. That's 3200 lbs already.

Have you actually weighed that combo?
A RZR 4 and a 14-16ft trailer, and a few accessories often gets you to 3,200-3,300 lb. However, there are trailers under 1k lb with 2k payload capacities that can get the job done, and keep the weight to a minimum.

Last edited:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What gearing do you have? The Suburban had 3.42 gears.

Elevation is between 5,000 and 9,000 feet
3.42 in my Sierra. I'm in Eastern Ontario, Canada, at only 410ft of elevation, so we have good air density for NA engines.

Being at 5-9k ft vs 400 ft explains the big differences in our experiences with the 5.3L I think.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You should raise the ball height up a few inches
it will ride better
Tailgate on the trailer is down. That completely changes the weight on the back. I bet it is pretty close to perfect with the gate up. That gate probably weighs 75 to 100 lbs. When you put that weight over one spot it changes the dynamics of how it rides.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with you. A RZR 4 and a 14-16ft trailer, and a few accessories usually gets you to 3,200-3,300 lb.
RZR: 1,691 lbs
Trailer: 750 lbs (per manufacturer's specification)
Accessories: full aluminum skid plate, aluminum roof, polycarbonate 1/2 windshield, particle separator, plastic cargo box in the back containing bread, peanut butter, jelly, grapes, Cheetos, Doritos, one quart of milk and half gallon of water.

I'll let you add them all up. 😁

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RZR: 1,691 lbs
Trailer: 750 lbs (per manufacturer's specification)
Accessories: full aluminum skid plate, aluminum roof, polycarbonate 1/2 windshield, particle separator, plastic cargo box in the back containing bread, peanut butter, jelly, grapes, Cheetos, Doritos, one quart of milk and half gallon of water.

I'll let you add them all up. 😁
I suggest you weigh the trailer if you really want to know. Every trailer I have ever had PJ, Big Texas, and Tophat always underestimate the weight.

You don't carry tools and a spare? Remind me not to go riding with you...

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You could just get a weight distribution hitch with sway control built into it. That would level it out, put weight back on the front wheels and some back on the trailer wheels. It’s night and day for a rig without a suspension set up for towing.
It's interesting that this thread has so many comments about weight distribution and the sag. Sitting in our flat driveway, we adjusted the trailer so that it was level, had good tongue weight and I was comfortable with the little bit of sag that it had. Remember that the picture was taken on ground that was uneven and not level. I was very happy with the way that it towed. It doesn't need an equalizer hitch or stiffer springs in the back.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suggest you weigh the trailer if you really want to know. Every trailer I have ever had PJ, Big Texas, and Tophat always underestimate the weight.

You don't carry tools and a spare? Remind me not to go riding with you...
Yes, we carry tools and a small compressor with a bunch of plugs. Add those to the list. 😃

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's interesting that this thread has so many comments about weight distribution and the sag. Sitting in our flat driveway, we adjusted the trailer so that it was level, had good tongue weight and I was comfortable with the little bit of sag that it had. Remember that the picture was taken on ground that was uneven and not level. I was very happy with the way that it towed. It doesn't need an equalizer hitch or stiffer springs in the back.
Welcome to the internet. People LOVE to criticize other people's towing setups.

That said, some people are very clueless when it comes to towing, and do need some advice. (I'm not suggesting that you fall into this category.)

BTW, everything I see in your picture looks awesome. Seems like a great setup to me. I don't think you need a WDH, air bags, or other expensive equipment. I don't doubt that the Bronco does a very good job of towing the RZR. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tailgate on the trailer is down. That completely changes the weight on the back. I bet it is pretty close to perfect with the gate up. That gate probably weighs 75 to 100 lbs. When you put that weight over one spot it changes the dynamics of how it rides.
I can see that as a possiblity.. In the pic It looks a little low in the front

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah I would not say you need it either. It would just improve upon what ever the existing driving characteristics are. Your SET up looks great. I don’t know what vehicle I would be more excited to drive.
Sponsored