Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Glad to hear this is a known issue, my 2021 started having the lights come on this week. Did it about 3 times, in daylight so I didn't notice until we walked back to the parking lot after shopping for an hour....lights on. Will call my dealer.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
can you take my VIN for a fix? Still waiting here.
You can just call your dealer, ford cust service doesn't need to be involved

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BTW, I called my dealer and explained the problem. When they set up an appointment for next week, I asked if that was to install the new switch or to do an "assessment." They didn't seem to know about this issue (big dealer too). They said "you'll have to leave it with us 48 hours". I replied "What, so you can see if they come on for you?...they may not...it's random."
So I contacted Ford customer service and got an expedited service claim going. Between this and the backup camera remaining on sometimes in 4Low, a year of the Bronco has been trouble-free.

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My dealership ordered my new switch today. I will report how long it takes to arrive.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I tried in the past the dealer “couldn’t recreate the issue”
They probably won't be able to. If you want to start a case you can call ford customer service.
Unfortunately, your dealer service sucks. Anyone that wanted to help would make themselves aware of the issue that's been well documented. Most people don't take the time. They also should of pulled your codes to identify the issue. I have videos of my lights coming on from my security cameras.

I had a case that ford started on this forum, but i haven't taken it to the dealer yet because ive been busy. They closed the case today because i never took it in. They said if i needed to reopen it i could.

"At this time, I will need to close your case until you are able to drop off your vehicle to the dealership. Once you reach back out to Ford Motor Company, to advise your vehicle have dropped off, then we can assist you accordingly. Without a diagnosis on the vehicle, I am limited to how I can further assist with your concern. I will be happy to reopen your case, or create a new case if needed."

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey just a heads up I have this issue, it is extremely persistent happening all the time at least a few times per day. My dealer got me on a list for this issue and Ford has issued a replacement part that has been "updated to a improved design". They had a limited number ship out last week and it was a lottery to see who'd get the first batch... I guess I did. Mine goes in on Monday for the new switch to be installed.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I tried in the past the dealer “couldn’t recreate the issue”
Also reference/tell dealer about

SSM 50842 - 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in October 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.

And

SSM 51166 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. To correct this condition, replace the headlamp switch (service base PN: 11654). Refer Workshop Manual, Section 417-01.

bbrhm

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also reference/tell dealer about

SSM 50842 - 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in October 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.

And

SSM 51166 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. To correct this condition, replace the headlamp switch (service base PN: 11654). Refer Workshop Manual, Section 417-01.
THANK YOU, this is incredibly helpful! Thanks a ton!!!

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
According to my paperwork from the Dealer, the old switch was 11654A.

The new replacement switch for my Base, non-foglight is: M2DZ*11654*GC

They checked OASIS, reference SSM 51166.

I can report that so far so good. No phantom lights.
Thank you for providing the switch part number. I just ordered one myself. The time and patience it would have taken to get this resolved at the dealer just wasn't worth it.

I ordered it from Quirk Parts for $75 shipped.

Sponsored

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you for providing the switch part number. I just ordered one myself. The time and patience it would have taken to get this resolved at the dealer just wasn't worth it.

Quick question: how to install the new switch? I haven't taken apart the driver dashboard plastic before. Is it straightforward - do you have a recipe or doc about how to do this?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My dealership ordered my new switch today. I will report how long it takes to arrive.
Got a call today and the switch is in. One week is not bad at all. Having it put in next week.

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base

Good call. I had my "case" opened by @fordmotorcompany almost 6 mos ago and still had to haul it into my dealer for an obd scan. I even asked to preorder the switch to have it hand. Now the switch is reportedly on national backorder and I have to haul it back. They also claimed they have to 'program' it when it comes in. Sounds like bs, and they suggested I put the battery on a maintain charger until it can finally come in.

On a positive note, my 20k fordpass points showed up this week, 9 mos after purchase ;)

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good call. I had my "case" opened by @fordmotorcompany almost 6 mos ago and still had to haul it into my dealer for an obd scan. I even asked to preorder the switch to have it hand. Now the switch is reportedly on national backorder and I have to haul it back. They also claimed they have to 'program' it when it comes in. Sounds like bs, and they suggested I put the battery on a maintain charger until it can finally come in.

On a positive note, my 20k fordpass points showed up this week, 9 mos after purchase ;)
Well I thought it was a good plan, but unfortunately my order was cancelled as the switch isn't actually available. I checked around and I am getting the same responses...national backorder, no eta.

I have been dealing with this since I received the vehicle in Oct 2021. I have a feeling the next owner will eventually sort this out. :rolleyes:
Sponsored