First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 F250 4x4 2016 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have had my Bronco for about a month the headlights have been coming on after I park and lock and sometimes they come on with the switch not lit just headlights on until I rotate the switch. By the way my switch was changed and it didnt resolve the problem.
Sponsored

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Few random times my lights have been on. Thought it could have possibly been user error.

Went out to eat at dusk. Parked doorless bronco and walked away. Noticed lights were on. So went back and manually turned lights to off. Set down to eat and the lights were on. Went back outside and manually turned the lights. Made it thru supper with no issue.

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Discussed the headlights ghost with tech at the dealership and he reviewed his security cameras and found that his bronco's headlights came on at the same time as mine.

Strange for sure.

Around 8pm Central time on May 9th in case anyone else wants to look at there security cameras.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Discussed the headlights ghost with tech at the dealership and he reviewed his security cameras and found that his bronco's headlights came on at the same time as mine.

Strange for sure.

Around 8pm Central time on May 9th in case anyone else wants to look at there security cameras.
Does that time happen to coincide with sunset? It the light sensor telling the Bronco it's dark and turns on the lights?

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does that time happen to coincide with sunset? It the light sensor telling the Bronco it's dark and turns on the lights?
It was just after sunset. I would say 95% dark at that time.

Good thought.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
Now that more Broncos are on the road it seems my issue (and yours) is getting some legs. Hopefully a resolution is found soon. The following has been suggested but unfortunately, to date, I still have this issue.

- Check/replace headlight fuse (did not fix)
- Replace headlight switch (did not fix)
- Disabled auto headlight setting in Forscan (did not fix)
- Ensure headlight switch is in off position open exiting vehicle (did not fix)
- Time of day/Light sensor (not for me... I have watched it happen at random and in bright sun)
- Key fob proximity (left key ~ 1 mile away - did not fix)

Worth mentioning...

I have a Base model with exterior keypad.

When the headlight issue occurs sometimes, but not every-time, my clock is wrong. Toggling the "auto-update" time setting fixes the clock, but headlight issue remains. This tells me there is a software issue.

Since October 21 when I first started having this issue, it seemed the vehicle was "rebooting" approximately 1 hour after turning off and exiting the vehicle. If you are present when this issue occurs, you can hear the vehicle turn on - as if you put it in ACC mode. But of course the vehicle is locked, stationary/parked and is turned completely off. With the exception of a whine sound of the electronics turning on and subsequently the headlights.

After about 10-15 minutes in this powered state, I believe the vehicle will then activate its power saving mode (not sure the correct term here) so the battery doesn't die. The headlights will then turn off. Once that occurs, the headlight switch will be completely off (no leds). If there is no interaction with the switch in this state, the leds on the switch will remain off, the headlights will be on, and the lamp indicator on the dash will be bright green. Rotating the headlight switch a few times will wake it up and return to normal operation.

Last time I hooked up to Forscan I found some DTC codes but silly me didn't save them. I will pull them again in the next few days and post them here.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Now that more Broncos are on the road it seems my issue (and yours) is getting some legs. Hopefully a resolution is found soon. The following has been suggested but unfortunately, to date, I still have this issue.

- Check/replace headlight fuse (did not fix)
- Replace headlight switch (did not fix)
- Disabled auto headlight setting in Forscan (did not fix)
- Ensure headlight switch is in off position open exiting vehicle (did not fix)
- Time of day/Light sensor (not for me... I have watched it happen at random and in bright sun)
- Key fob proximity (left key ~ 1 mile away - did not fix)

Worth mentioning...

I have a Base model with exterior keypad.

When the headlight issue occurs sometimes, but not every-time, my clock is wrong. Toggling the "auto-update" time setting fixes the clock, but headlight issue remains. This tells me there is a software issue.

Since October 21 when I first started having this issue, it seemed the vehicle was "rebooting" approximately 1 hour after turning off and exiting the vehicle. If you are present when this issue occurs, you can hear the vehicle turn on - as if you put it in ACC mode. But of course the vehicle is locked, stationary/parked and is turned completely off. With the exception of a whine sound of the electronics turning on and subsequently the headlights.

After about 10-15 minutes in this powered state, I believe the vehicle will then activate its power saving mode (not sure the correct term here) so the battery doesn't die. The headlights will then turn off. Once that occurs, the headlight switch will be completely off (no leds). If there is no interaction with the switch in this state, the leds on the switch will remain off, the headlights will be on, and the lamp indicator on the dash will be bright green. Rotating the headlight switch a few times will wake it up and return to normal operation.

Last time I hooked up to Forscan I found some DTC codes but silly me didn't save them. I will pull them again in the next few days and post them here.

Appreciate the write up. I have a big bend with signature lights & I've experienced this about 3-4 times in the span of 2 months. Also, when researching the issue, I noticed that folks over at the Mach-E forum are also experiencing a nearly identical headlight issue. The headlight switch setup looks to be the same in the Mach-E as well. They are suspecting that it's a headlight switch / module software glitch. No major resolution found on their end either.

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok, I officially joined this club today. I parked the Bronc, made sure the switch was set to auto so that I know the lights are off after locking. I look out the window 90 minutes later and the lights are on. I unlock the truck and the switch was set to On. Definitely a software issue. At first it was just annoying, but now I'm concerned about the battery being drained for no reason.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok, I officially joined this club today. I parked the Bronc, made sure the switch was set to auto so that I know the lights are off after locking. I look out the window 90 minutes later and the lights are on. I unlock the truck and the switch was set to On. Definitely a software issue. At first it was just annoying, but now I'm concerned about the battery being drained for no reason.
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
OP here, been having this issue for almost 7 months.... sending you a message about this as well.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve been having the same issue with my lights coming on by themselves, I thought I was losing my mind. I was convinced my girlfriend or myself were accidentally hitting the switch with our knees exiting the Bronco. We both got in the habit of making sure the switch was either set to “auto” or “off” before exiting and locking the vehicle and it seemed to work for a while.

Well today I witnessed it is not user error. I watched as my girlfriend came home and parked the Bronco. I watched her get out, lock the Bronco and look back to make sure the lights turned off, they definitely turned off. A little later in the evening as the sun was setting we were sitting on the couch and we noticed the lights turn on in the Bronco through the front window. We both looked at each other thinking one of us had hit the key or something but sure enough both of the keys were hanging up. I walked out to the Bronco, it was locked still so I unlocked it and checked the switch which had magically gone into “on” mode not “auto” or “off”.

This is undoubtedly a software glitch of some sort. Now the question is how do I replicate the issue for the service department…

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just a small update.... after contact here from Ford, I was assigned a case number and then received a phone call from Ford. I have been instructed to return to the dealer for further diagnosis.

At this point, there is no resolution directly from Ford and the dealer will need to follow up with them with their findings once they get a look at the truck.

Bottom line, Ford has been responsive, but it is an issue that does not have a known resolution at this time.

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just a small update.... after contact here from Ford, I was assigned a case number and then received a phone call from Ford. I have been instructed to return to the dealer for further diagnosis.

At this point, there is no resolution directly from Ford and the dealer will need to follow up with them with their findings once they get a look at the truck.

Bottom line, Ford has been responsive, but it is an issue that does not have a known resolution at this time.

I received the same. Case number and phone call. Will have them investigate during the complimentary service visit next week.
Sponsored