Sponsored

Flipping LCA/Strut Bolts for Protection....

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
In this video, when the guy puts the bolts back on the shock that run through the LCA, he puts the nut on top, instead of the bottom (flipped from stock)...which would seemingly be much better protected and minimize the chance of shearing one off or destroying the threads. That seems like something that should be done day one before it sees any rocks....pretty simple, but is there any problem with that? He's putting them back on right after the 5 minute mark...he may have just inadvertently flipped them, but is that a problem?

Sponsored

Will2497

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great video, and nice catch regarding the bolts running backwards, surprised he didn't mention it in the video

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would like to know if anyone has done this with strut bolts and how it worked out.

eskimoquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been wondering the same since I first saw the underside. It seems like such a bad idea to have those exposed threads hanging out below the LCAs. You'll not only damage them but you'll catch on them.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clamping force is clamping force, bolt direction doesn't matter in this case with the exception of ease of install for the factory. Probably saves them 20-30 seconds a vehicle having them pre installed in that direction compared to feeding bolts though holes, trying to get it aligned and installing the nuts. Don't believe they have to put a socket on both sides, just the torque device for bottom nuts.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If a nut broke or came loose or disappeared I would want the bolt head on top otherwise you lose the bolt as well as the nut. But in my years of working on tractors I several times came across assembly instruction s where the bolt was required to be inserted from bottom and not because of clearance or exposure

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If a nut broke or came loose or disappeared I would want the bolt head on top otherwise you lose the bolt as well as the nut.
Hmmm... safety wire it somehow? Only way I can think of is around the LCA itself. (I think... I'll have to stick my head under there to see if what I'm thinking is possible). You'd definitely have to check it periodically to see if you'd snagged the wired while off-roading and snapped it off.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did the same thing but bought new better grade bolt s with a smaller head too and installed the nut on the top side. Definitely an improvement.

honorableh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the same thing but bought new better grade bolt s with a smaller head too and installed the nut on the top side. Definitely an improvement.
Do you have a part number or bolt dimensions?
Eager to do this mod as I've definitely hit my control arms on rocks and don't want to cause any serious damage on the bolts or bolt threads.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great mod! I think the chances of a bolt falling out are slim to none if properly installed and torqued.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If flipped how’s the clearance on the bolt end / nut to CV boot?

I had a sneaky situation with my old Tacoma where the LCA skid/armor bolt could contact the CV boot with full travel cycle. Took me forever to figure out why I was burning through boots.

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If a nut broke or came loose or disappeared I would want the bolt head on top otherwise you lose the bolt as well as the nut. But in my years of working on tractors I several times came across assembly instruction s where the bolt was required to be inserted from bottom and not because of clearance or exposure
If you shear/break that nut you have bigger problems then the bolt falling out lol.

I flipped mine with higher strength bolts when I put in leveling spacers. I am glad I did as those bolts would catch easily imo.
Sponsored