Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So my order for my focal speakers came in and I'm happy to say about 2 hours later it is all setup and sounding great. Due to a lot of complaints on the rear speakers not being full range I did not upgrade those at this time.

Build parts:

Focal RCX-165 Auditor 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers - 104.99

Metra 82-5605 Rear 6.5" Speaker Plate - 14.39

Metra Electronics 72-5602 4-Way Speaker Harness Connector - 7.99

Focal RCX-100 Auditor 4" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers - 82.49

HSTECH 72-5600 2 Pairs (4 Pack) Wire Cable Wiring Harness - 9.99

4 Inch cable adapter:

While not intended to match, it fits snug and will not be a nice.

Ford Bronco Focal Speaker Install - Part List 20211214_190950

6.5 inch cable adapter:
These are a perfect fit.

Ford Bronco Focal Speaker Install - Part List 20211214_194321

I'm still waiting for my boom mat covers and my bass reducers. Current at 16+ volume the bass is way too much for the little 4 inches so that will be installed when I get home.

No major surprises during the install, but the driver side kicker took the longest. The packages screws will not work and I had to run to the hardware store to get shorter ones because the ones focal provides were way too long. When installing the 4" I needed to snap off the tiny thorn piece in order to get the speakers to fit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice build! I replaced the 4, 4 inch with Kicker CSC4's. I also had to snip off 2 mounting brackets on the rear speakers in order for the to fit. I haven't ordered bass blockers yet, so I'm wondering if it's worth it?

Needless to say it sounds so much better that stock. Also, I'll replace the 6.5's in the spring - Didn't feel like replacing them just yet.

OP
OP
Theowlhoothoot

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice build! I replaced the 4, 4 inch with Kicker CSC4's. I also had to snip off 2 mounting brackets on the rear speakers in order for the to fit. I haven't ordered bass blockers yet, so I'm wondering if it's worth it?

Needless to say it sounds so much better that stock. Also, I'll replace the 6.5's in the spring - Didn't feel like replacing them just yet.
So we had to lower the bass or else we got some bad noises from the top ones. I'm starting with 600hz blockers and working my way down. The census seems to be that 300hz is perfect.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So we had to lower the bass or else we got some bad noises from the top ones. I'm starting with 600hz blockers and working my way down. The census seems to be that 300hz is perfect.
Ok. I did notice the bass coming through the tops and "peaking" a bit. So all the bass should be routed to the 6.5s, correct? I will have to pick these up.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone measured the frequency response of the 4" dash and rear? Also the 6.5" in the kick panels? I'm pretty sure they already have a crossover components in the system. Adding additional caps or using a speaker with a different impedance will change the response. If someone had a wiring diagram of the factory harness, I'd love to look it over.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Theowlhoothoot

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok. I did notice the bass coming through the tops and "peaking" a bit. So all the bass should be routed to the 6.5s, correct? I will have to pick these up.
Correct. From what people have assumed from the OEM setup is that the 4 inch had resisters built in to reduce / filter bass since the 6.5's take care of that. Most don't filter quite as much since non-oem can handle more than stock.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Correct. From what people have assumed from the OEM setup is that the 4 inch had resisters built in to reduce / filter bass since the 6.5's take care of that. Most don't filter quite as much since non-oem can handle more than stock.
Good to know. Will be picking these up. Thanks!

OP
OP
Theowlhoothoot

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Has anyone measured the frequency response of the 4" dash and rear? Also the 6.5" in the kick panels? I'm pretty sure they already have a crossover components in the system. Adding additional caps or using a speaker with a different impedance will change the response. If someone had a wiring diagram of the factory harness, I'd love to look it over.
I haven't seen any response measurements. The 6.5 are in the kick panels.

There is this wiring chart floating around.
Ford Bronco Focal Speaker Install - Part List 6 Speaker System

Stock 4" are 4ohms so I stayed with that range so I wouldn't have to go aftermarket with an amp.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't seen any response measurements. The 6.5 are in the kick panels.

There is this wiring chart floating around.
6 Speaker System.jpg

Stock 4" are 4ohms so I stayed with that range so I wouldn't have to go aftermarket with an amp.
There are factors that should be ironed out when swapping the speakers to better the sound.
1) Is the stock ACM ("head unit") delivering a flat frequency output (or is it "equalized" with boosted highs etc.)
2)Is the Kick panel speaker in series or parallel with the 4"?
3) Both the kick panel and 4" speaker shows a coil choke limiting higher frequencies, or is that the voice coil?) Is that on the speaker, or a separate component where the connections meet.

Believe it or not, the kick panel is not a bad speaker location, as long as you can get a good angle to the listeners ears. As bad as any vehicle is to achieve imaging, this will at the very least get you a decent center stage if they're full range. I would first try your 6.5"coaxials there and aim them at the inside ear of the opposite side. (Passenger side Kick is aimed at Drivers right ear....) If you choose to keep the ford concept, I'd shift to a 3 way speaker system.
Sponsored

Last edited: