Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone should own a manual at some point in their life. I had two that I DD. It was fun and enjoyed. But once in a while I just want to be lazy and drive an auto. In a ideal world I would love to own both but not now. I've had my fun with manuals and there is no changing my mind. 2.7L w/ 10-speed.
Sponsored

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off topic but after watching the youtube video about manual vs auto for overlanding, it reminded me of my recent small Porsche 911 disaster. I have the PDK transmission which is incredibly good for a non-manual. I went to start the car about a month ago and got multiple warning/fault messages which resulted in a car that would not start and was stuck in park in the garage. It was a challenge for a tow truck to remove it from the garage. With a manual you probably could have shifted to neutral even with no power and rolled it out. Turns out a rat had chewed some of the wiring. Big repair- engine removal and wiring harness replacement. Thankfully comprehensive car insurance will cover it. So there are other benefits to manual transmissions! Still going 2.7/auto on the Bronco though.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was it on that third tablet that Moses brought down from the mount? I like both, but my experience with the current 10sp has been excellent. And I like ?, which are very hard to eat while driving with a manual. Plus, in my experience, auto off road is preferable to me overall. No judgement or being condescending to others. BTW, if you are in metro Detroit and get a 2.3 manual I will gladly hang out and swap vehicles so we can experience the alternative!!!!!
I believe that’s correct! Lol! I haven’t driven the 10 speed tbh, I’m interested to see how it handles. My scat pack is only an 8 speed but I love that. I’m just not a big manual fan, old tech, autos kill them nowadays. Not to mention they’re a pain to drive in traffic. Wife still has a manual on her Cruze but I told her we’re going auto on her Bronco so it’s enjoyable on long drives and she’s ready for an auto after 20 years. We can both drive it, I rid myself of a manual at 19 and never looked back lol.

So no swapping here! 2.7 auto for us in Colorado.

Last edited:

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Off topic but after watching the youtube video about manual vs auto for overlanding, it reminded me of my recent small Porsche 911 disaster. I have the PDK transmission which is incredibly good for a non-manual. I went to start the car about a month ago and got multiple warning/fault messages which resulted in a car that would not start and was stuck in park in the garage. It was a challenge for a tow truck to remove it from the garage. With a manual you probably could have shifted to neutral even with no power and rolled it out. Turns out a rat had chewed some of the wiring. Big repair- engine removal and wiring harness replacement. Thankfully comprehensive car insurance will cover it. So there are other benefits to manual transmissions! Still going 2.7/auto on the Bronco though.
Same happened to my buddy mr rat ate harness had to fly hans in from stutgart ended getting a new one .
Mouse stopper pro hooks to batt supposedly works well to repel.

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 + auto for 1800 is such a good value it is hard to pass up. I've also heard great things about the 10 speed
I have the Ranger now with the transmission and I’m not a fan. Maybe it will be different paired with the 2.7. I hope so.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get a sports car with a manual trams, drive it on the track. Lots of fun shifting, heel/toe down shifts and other fun stuff. Great fun, I recommend a Porsche.

A Bronco is not that!
That's my plan. I drive a Veloster N now and daily duty is pull onto highway and drive 20mi in 6th gear. The manual is fun when I'm carving up the Dragon or Skyway in the mountains. Gonna get the Bronco in auto and find myself something else fun with a manual.

TriggerTX

First Name
Trigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
61 Ford T-Bird, Autozam AZ-1, Golf R, Suburban 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've heavily offroaded both. I've managed to be on the cover of magazines in both. Neither is inherently 'better' offroad. The truck you take further offroad than the lawn at your kid's soccer match is the right one. I'll be a heretic and say "Choose what makes you happy. There's no wrong answer." Add to that, stop telling people they are wrong. They chose what makes them happy. Now if you want to buy me a manual transmissioned one I'll use it and praise it. Until then, your opinion means jack.

For the Bronco, I'm choosing a loaded BL/Auto/2.7/'squatch. Y'all can argue over how right you are for choosing a manual. I won't be around to hear it. I'll be far from any roads actually using my truck and will leave the armchair QBs to the forums.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not a chance unless they say the 6.8 will only be available with the auto. Which of course will nean that I have to buy a HD 7spd from getrag to perform the NECCESARY SWAP!

Sponsored

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. I learned on a mt at a young age (10 ish) driving a 1/2 cab w/ my dad, like the one in my profile pic. My first 3 vehicles were mt, I have nothing against them and would buy a Bronco if it was paired with the 2.7L. Whether its thinking correctly or not, after researching/reading on this forum, I've grown leery of the 2.3L (DI only) paired with the mt (new equipment built in China). I could deal with 1 of those, but not both together.
Is the 2.7 10 spd American built and the manual isn't?

Gwhtfrd

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am 29 years old. I have never owned a manual car, but I learned to drive on one. I've had a Toyota 4runner and an F150, but I have always really wanted to own a manual. When I saw the Bronco came in a stick, I was sold. I couldn't think of another vehicle cooler to have as a manual (besides a sports car, which I plan to have some day, but it's just not right for me at this point in my life, as this will be my only vehicle). I love manual cars because it really feels like you're DRIVING. I have always loved driving, but with with technology advancements and iPhones, I myself am guilty of being distracted on the road. I hate it, and I now do my best to avoid it, but I certainly have had my eyes off the road when I shouldn't have. To me, anything in this day and age that helps us focus on actually driving I think is a good thing. I am not trying to sway anyone, just offering my perspective. I think the Bronco will be HEAPS of fun with a stick.

Last edited:

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am 29 years old. I have never owned a manual car, but I learned to drive on one. I've had a Toyota 4runner and an F150, but I have always really wanted to own a manual. When I saw the Bronco came in a stick, I was sold. I couldn't think of another vehicle cooler to have as a manual (besides a sports car, which I plan to have some day, but it's just not right for me at this point in my life, as this will be my only vehicle). I love manual cars because it really feels like you're DRIVING. I have always loved driving, but with with technology advancements and iPhones, I myself am guilty of being distracted on the road. I hate it, and I now do my best to avoid it, but I certainly have had my eyes off the road when I shouldn't have. To me, anything in this day in this day and age that helps us focus on actually driving I think is a good thing. I am not trying to sway anyone, just offering my perspective. I think the Bronco will be HEAPS of fun with a stick.
Thank you for your honesty about occasional distraction that is what scares me when im at a light on my cycle ,and i dont scare easy!

BME16

Black Diamond
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m in pretty much the same situation. I can’t get over how dumb it is that I have to jump up to Badlands for basic comforts with a manual transmission. I got into this game for a BD with 7MT & mid package. That’s all I want/ need.

I’m currently driving a 2018 Corolla (bridge vehicle, had to sell the BMW, long story) and it has most of the mid pack features with a stick shift. It shouldn’t be that hard.

I don’t have a need for a sway bar disconnect or front locker, but I want heated seats, climate control, and a bunch of other mid pack features in my manual trans Bronco. Black Diamond + mid is perfect without the arbitrary limitation.

So it basically comes down to 4 choices:

1. Get the Black Diamond with 7MT and no mid pack, and live without basic features
  2. Spend way too much on the Badlands for unnecessary stuff
  3. Get the auto (which probably means V6 too, cause why not) and give up the whole reason I jumped in to begin with
  4. Don’t buy a Bronco

I hate that it’s become this difficult and my decision changes daily. I mean, until yesterday the auto wasn’t even an option but it’s started to creep in so I get it. I’m still resisting but here we are.

Ugh, it wasn’t supposed to be this hard.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My scattered brained, ADHD daughter had two accidents in a MT, three in an AT. Totaled one MT and one AT. All her fault and all this before turning 23!!!! Her ADHD side misses driving a MT. She said it gave her something to do while driving. Her scatter brained side just went about clueless to her surroundings. Ultimately it was her driver inattention that did in her in.

I love that girl. She is very bright. Scored a good corporate job in Boca Raton at 24 but damn was it stressful raising her. I still cringe when she shows up on my caller ID. I hold my breath waiting for what her voice sounds like and if the first words will be "DAD, I.........."
So about an hour after I posted this my daughter calls. It's 10:00pm on a Friday, why is she calling me? Of course my heart skips a beat (she is in FL I'm in OH). I answer and she says "Hey dad have you ever had you're car booted" I of course think, are you okay and how much is this going to cost me? Turns out she went to West Palm to meet a girlfriend for dinner and when they came out her friend's car was booted. She waited with her as fines were paid and car was free. She just thought I would like to know that crap happens to other people and it isn't always happening to her. It was like she was proud that she parked in a garage and her car wasn't booted. ???????
Sponsored