Ford Mach E prototype spotted for the first time

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With EVs typically being MUCH heavier than a like-sized ICE vehicle, it'll be harsher on those tires and start to overheat them.
The idea of a Mustang fan complaining about accelerated tire wear is laughable.

Long story short, the Mach 1 absolutely will not outperform the Mustang unless the Mustang gets a significant downgrade
Which "Mustang" are we talking about? The GT500, or the other 99.6% of them on the road?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Someone said NOBODY is buying passenger cars when nearly 50% of vehicles sold last year were passenger cars. So that's what I'm debating. I realize that passenger cars aren't the biggest money makers for some car manufacturers, but a lot of them are sold.

None. I bought the 2018 Ford and 2004 Chevy in my signature. I drove brand new versions of both, and decided I didn't need to have them new. I actually prefer the 2004 Corvette over the newer 'vettes because it weighs a lot less. Corvette is getting more and more bloated every year. I am one of many consumers that will only buy something new if it's really great. I've been wanting another new GT350, but I'm not ready to buy that yet.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm a nobody who bought two passenger cars this year.

What you really should have said is almost nobody is buying electrics. I don't want to take the time to look up the numbers, but I bet passenger car sales this year dwarf electrics.
US electric sales probably won't match last years and are still around 2% of overall sales.
Tesla would have to have one hell of a 1/4 in US model 3 sales (only vehicle that might come close to selling enough),
which is the only way US sales meet last year. Need to sell about 130K more this 1/4 to just meet last year.
Last year US EV sales were 361K total...........

https://insideevs.com/news/373812/ev-sales-scorecard-september-2019/

Compare that with 17.3 million total cars and light trucks sold in US in 2018 .
So EV sales really are insignificant, even compared to overall sedan sales
(sedan sales were 5.5 million last year). Kind of funny that "no one" buys sedans,
but they are still 32% of the market.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And in the same post, he tempered it with:
Never is a long time. If people with strong personal ethics ever decide that "global warming" or whatever they are calling it now is a real thing, those people will be buying cars.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Never is a long time. If people with strong personal ethics ever decide that "global warming" or whatever they are calling it now is a real thing, those people will be buying cars.
Such are the pitfalls of using absolutes. The take-away is, the market is heading to a different kind of motor vehicle.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While I don't see a huge issue with using the pony, outright naming it a Mustang probably has more disadvantage than advantage. Alienating the purists while at the same time failing to fool any new buyers into thinking they are gaining access to the exclusive Mustang "club" may not be the best avenue. Possibly the worst of both worlds.

The "Mach" name would have been enough to tie it to Mustang's pedigree - even absent the pony - without appearing desperate to give it a persona it doesn't actually share with Mustang. If it's a good car, what they name it would be irrelevant. If it can't stand on its own, a plastic icon and the name of another successful model won't keep it afloat.

I hope it blows us away with performance and technology, but what I interpret as trying too hard in the branding department makes me skeptical.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As a former Mustang owner, I am excited about seeing and test driving the Mach E. And all the Harley riders (including myself) that I have talked to are excited about the Harley-Davidson electric motorcycle being introduced in 2020:

2020 LiveWire™

The first Harley‑Davidson® electric motorcycle. Instant power and acceleration. Delivers a level of exhilaration unlike anything else.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The idea of a Mustang fan complaining about accelerated tire wear is laughable.

Which "Mustang" are we talking about? The GT500, or the other 99.6% of them on the road?
1. we aren’t talking tire wear, we’re talking tire heat management. As a tire gets beyond its heat threshold, it loses grip. Additional weight pushes it beyond that threshold faster. I’ve been wanting a smaller, lighter Mustang since S197 for this very reason

2. talking about 70% of Mustangs out there. It won’t be faster in every metric than a standard GT with either PP, a GT350, or a GT500. I’d guess it’ll be worse in most performance metrics than even the Ecoboost performance packs. The ONLY thing it MIGHT have going for it is acceleration, and that’s yet to be seen. Even at that, it simply won’t compete over 60mph unless they’re giving it multiple gears (which I highly doubt)

I don't have a horse (ha ha) in this race, but I imagine this is going to have a few people up in arms. Not just 'mustang inspired', it's wearing the mustang name.
If the Bronco is good, that’s the last vehicle I’ll ever give Ford money for... and even at that, I’m considering buying used (and in turn, not giving Ford any money directly). The only way I’ll buy new at this point is if Ford will give me the TTV6 as a manual, and that’ll only be to voice my support for manual transmissions in a statistical sense

While I don't see a huge issue with using the pony, outright naming it a Mustang probably has more disadvantage than advantage. Alienating the purists while at the same time failing to fool any new buyers into thinking they are gaining access to the exclusive Mustang "club" may not be the best avenue. Possibly the worst of both worlds.

The "Mach" name would have been enough to tie it to Mustang's pedigree - even absent the pony - without appearing desperate to give it a persona it doesn't actually share with Mustang. If it's a good car, what they name it would be irrelevant. If it can't stand on its own, a plastic icon and the name of another successful model won't keep it afloat.

I hope it blows us away with performance and technology, but what I interpret as trying too hard in the branding department makes me skeptical.
this has been exactly my issue the whole time. I knew if there was going to be a badge, it wouldn’t be a badge alone. This is just going to push away ex-Ford faithfuls while not boosting sales over simply calling it “Mach 1”. Ford isn’t dumb, they HAD to have known that would be the outcome. Why else would they do it then? Because there needs to be a replacement for S550, and it’s not looking like it’s going to be a passenger car

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Welp....guess I'm never buying a new Mustang again.

Thanks for the un-originality Ford. Way to water down an iconic name. Idiots.

Can't wait to hear all the soccer moms saying they own a Mustang now and are carting around their 4 spawn at the mall. Gag.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the un-originality Ford. Way to water down an iconic name.
51365.jpg

Hardly a new phenomenon; I fondly remember my '72 Maverick. And yet Mustang survived.

Although it is nearly forgotten today, the Maverick was a smash success for the Ford Motor Company when it was introduced on April 17, 1969. This auspicious date marked the fifth anniversary of the Mustang’s launch, and Ford’s new compact, initially available only as a two-door sedan, sold roughly 579,000 copies its first year to outpace even the original Mustang’s sales.

Stang72

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
51365.jpg

Hardly a new phenomenon; I fondly remember my '72 Maverick. And yet Mustang survived.

Although it is nearly forgotten today, the Maverick was a smash success for the Ford Motor Company when it was introduced on April 17, 1969. This auspicious date marked the fifth anniversary of the Mustang’s launch, and Ford’s new compact, initially available only as a two-door sedan, sold roughly 579,000 copies its first year to outpace even the original Mustang’s sales.
51365.jpg

The Maverick was a horrible car. The Chevy Cavalier sold a shit ton too.
Sponsored