Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '20 Raptor, Porsches, track cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been running 87 since I got my Bronco. The difference here is ~83¢/gal. That's a huge increase in price and as much as I am curious about the performance difference, the extra $15/tank just isn't worth it for me.
Makes no sense to skimp on $15 a tank just to avoid using the fuel that allows the little turbo motor to works at its factory potential. Especially on a vehicle that is optioned with the tow package and may put even more load on the drivetrain with a trailer.

Is the Power Pack release from Ford for the 2.7L motor? For sure 91+ octane for that.
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t go much for the SOP dyno’s. If you like it go for it. I am not wasting my money on the premium fuel.

Garrett301

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2021 Bronco Sport, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've been running 93 octane since April and have seen a consistent 2mpg positive difference compared to the 87 I was filling with before. Acceleration also improved in my opinion. To me that is worth the extra 70cents (where I live) per gallon for 93.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the Fuelio app on my phone. Every time I fill up, I enter the mileage, amount of fuel, price, and gas station. It computes and cumulatively logs what I'm spending, how much fuel I'm using, and my current (and cumulative) mileage is. Also, what I'm spending per mile!

So I just might do a few fillups and see how much more I'm spending on 91, and what I'm getting for mileage.

The app also lets you track maintenance and vehicle costs, such as insurance & car payments, so you know what your ride is really costing you. My only complaint is that you have to enter the fuel & mileage data at the gas station. It resists adding that vendor/location later. And if the gas station is not in the Fuelio data base, you have to "create" one.

But the data record is fantastic. You 91 octane enthusiasts can can base your decisions on authentic data, which is more than I can say for the government!

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haven't let my tank get lower than half a tank since I got it in August, BUT I have let it get below a quarter tank this week. Going to fill all the way up Friday on highest octane they have at the station and find out for myself.
Why? I dont understand this notion of not letting your tank get below half full, or quarter or whatever. I run all mine as low as I can. Why not?

Sponsored

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why? I dont understand this notion of not letting your tank get below half full, or quarter or whatever. I run all mine as low as I can. Why not?
Because the in tank fuel pump is cooled by being immersed in fuel, when the tank is very low there is little to no cooling available for the in tank fuel pump.

SpringBreak98

Black Diamond
First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly, no real rhyme or reason. Just didn't let it go low for some reason until this week 🤷

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because the in tank fuel pump is cooled by being immersed in fuel, when the tank is very low there is little to no cooling available for the in tank fuel pump.
Ive heard that and am convinced its a myth. The pump is cooled by fuel flowing through it, not by it being submerged in fuel.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ran nothing but 93 in my 2.7 so I really don't know what it would do with 87..however I have a 3.5 turbo in my f150 and I can tell if my wife put 87 in it! She will even try to deny it and then I found the receipt..it will give a slight rough idle....I thought it needed a tune up at 1st but then I filled it up with 93 and it's night and day difference...93 is generally only 50 cents higher...well worth it imo.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All I can say is wow! I made the switch today and you could tell the difference immediately.

Sponsored

WonkyBronky

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '20 Raptor, Porsches, track cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow, didn't know this is an issue with Broncos. Wish the Ford engineers would have thought of this!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Confirmed with a buddy this morning who used to work on race cars and fully understands stuff I don't, like the ignition timing and all. He says that with lower octane, because it's more likely to combust earlier, computers set the ignition back a tad, robbing horsepower, etc. With the higher octane, engine is much happier....he's always run premium in his turbos even back in the day, pre-computers..........just makes sense from what I can make of it.

Trail_Runner

Base
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 97 Jeep TJ, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I gave 93 a try and it does have more pep.

jgjh151

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do I have to run all the 87 out before using premium or can I fill with premium when I’m still at a quarter of 87?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do I have to run all the 87 out before using premium or can I fill with premium when I’m still at a quarter of 87?
The sooner the better I say. I did wait until I got down to an 18 gal fill....but if you're at a quarter, it'll just end up being a blend instead of a single malt. Oh, wait. lol....so you'd be 91.5 maybe....
Sponsored