Sponsored

What grade fuel to use ( normal, plus, premium )

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So the other day I was telling a buddy of mine that regular grade fuel is more than sufficient for his daily commute. He insisted his bronco 4 door wildtrak needs only premium. I let him know that's only really needed and that's a big if only if he is towing something but for his 30 minute commute to work and back its not necessary. So why grade fuel do y'all use ? Do y'all use regular (normal) , plus , or premium ? I personally own a bronco wildtrak 4 door. I really only put normal even when towing something semi small like a jet ski. If I'm correct as well. Might be wrong but I'm the manual it says normal is more than sufficient for any bronco ( I don't know about the new raptor bronco so don't attack me on that )
Sponsored

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good quality regular is all you need. High octane is for older non turbo high compression engines to eliminate knocking. Modern computer controlled engines adapt to run best on the fuel they receive.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Minimum 87 is fine. On the other end, you can run E30-E40 without issue. The knock sensors will keep things in check.

Personally I run 93 for my daily commutes (I drive spiritedly) and 87 for road trips/long stretches of highway only. I would also recommend premium when towing.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You make about 30 extra horse power on 93 vs 87. So it's really just preference.

Yes they will tow fine without hurting anything, but if it does knock the ecu will pull timing which pulls even more power.

Sponsored

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Read th' manual. Recommends premium, but it will run on regular. Chasing a diminishing reward by using reg. which costs less per gallon, and gets less mpg. It's all math.
Premium > mo powa, mo miles per g, mo smooth, cooler running, quieter - more efficient.
Reg < less efficient, requires timing to be pushed to the limit for a turbo engine for less powa, more heat, and rougher running.
Most will get 10-12% better mpg with 93. If you're only getting 12, it's hard to 'see' the difference at the pump.
I only run premium.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been told contrary things. (and this is what, the 70th thread on this?) one says, you've got turbos, use premium. Ford mechanic says it's a waste of money.

I've been running mid range and getting over 21 mpg overall. 4 door, v6. Driving gently. Need to switch back to 87 and see what it does.

Bigfx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Premium end of thread, I don’t understand why people would have turbo charged vehicles and not run premium makes zero sense. These are 50k plus vehicles, if you can’t handle a dollar more per gallon maybe find something else you can afford.

76to22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Straight from the manual...

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.
We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.
For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.
Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco is not my daily driver, so I only feed it 93 octane the once a month I fill it up. I’ve got the Ford Performance tune I need to have installed, which requires the high octane fuel.

The owners manual is pretty clear on the subject.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.
We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.
Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:

• Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

Sponsored

76to22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Bronco is not my daily driver, so I only feed it 93 octane the once a month I fill it up. I’ve got the Ford Performance tune I need to have installed, which requires the high octane fuel.

The owners manual is pretty clear on the subject.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

Do not use:

• Diesel fuel.
Beat you by 2 minutes 🤣

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Ford tune and have been using 93. Honestly when I fill up, it's about a 15$ difference, so I use 93. Use to doing it since I have a Shelby that only gets, and only can use 93.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
93. At a minimum if I can't find that, will use 91. The GasBuddy website is good for finding prices and grades for road trips. I'm heading to Colo in 4 weeks and have checked that website to plan my fill ups. Now hoping that the snow keeps melting so the trails open up.

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I went back and forth. I use 87 E0.

Have you seen what ethanol can do to an engine?

better get an oil separator too. Seen the blow by build up on these turbos after 30k, 40k, 50k…you get the jist.

I get better fuel efficiency on 87 E0 than 93.

Manual says 87 is recommended. You can always use more but best bang for your buck, 87 E0. I do not do spirited driving daily and can average 20 mpg in my bronco Raptor. My father-in-law gets almost 25 mpg with it in his 2.3 badlands.

to each there own. But if overall care on engine is why you use 93…I suppose there are additional steps you are taking for engine health for a ecoboost turbo.

more to it than just fuel octane rating.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I

Manual says 87 is recommended.

more to it than just fuel octane rating.
referring to the two posts above yours from the manual,
87 is 'minimum', 91+ is recommended
Sponsored