First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Regular fuel should be fine as the engineers designed both motors to run on it. I use a 91 ethanol free in my 78 because if last longer and i get better mileage from it. Ethanol free fuel would be the best but probably not necessary.
Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatever it says in the book. Dont waste your money on anything more

stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone explain if this is right: Since the Bronco will get more horsepower per same unit of fuel with higher octane, does this mean that the higher cost of fuel is offset by higher MPG?

If so, it probably makes sense to use higher octane fuel for the most part, assuming not too much premium. I may be completely off on how gasoline/ICE engines work though.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have always used regular but I’m in a fortunate situation where my gas is paid for by my company. Seeing as the Bronco is tuned for premium I’ll start with that until I get yelled at 😂

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone explain if this is right: Since the Bronco will get more horsepower per same unit of fuel with higher octane, does this mean that the higher cost of fuel is offset by higher MPG?

If so, it probably makes sense to use higher octane fuel for the most part, assuming not too much premium. I may be completely off on how gasoline/ICE engines work though.
The energy content is the same, Octane is simply a measure of initial ignition temps required. The answer is no. Higher Octane rated gasoline has no extra chemical energy, nor does it burn faster or slower in a combustion chamber. It just resists starting to burn until a slightly higher temperature. Once it starts burning, the reaction is exothermic and produces enough heat to burn it no matter what Octane.

The power advantage is that it can be tuned more aggressively without having pre-ignition, which can be very damaging to an engine

stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The energy content is the same, Octane is simply a measure of initial ignition temps required. The answer is no. Higher Octane rated gasoline has no extra chemical energy, nor does it burn faster or slower in a combustion chamber. It just resists starting to burn until a slightly higher temperature. Once it starts burning, the reaction is exothermic and produces enough heat to burn it no mater what Octane.
Doesnt higher compression from higher octane mean more efficient extraction of that energy?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where is the poll option for 110?
I joke. But I have run it in my Big Dog chopper back in the early 00's and it is amazing, smells like freedom and testosterone at the end of the pipes.
In my 1300 VTX forum it was debated about 87 vs 93 and people who have been riding them forever swear the 87 runs better in those, and I had always ran 93.
I tried a couple of tanks of 87 and Danged if they weren't right. For whatever reason (I don't even remember now why), it is true. And I would have bet $ on 93 being the better option. It's better fuel, right!?
I'll run what's recommended.
If I get the tune, I'll run the 93.
But I'll always (after break-in) run synthetic engine oil and synthetic gear oils(argument for another topic, I assume).

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
89, with the occasional tank of 93 every month.

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
92 non-ethanal

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whatever it says in the book. Dont waste your money on anything more
You may not feel the difference but it doesn't mean it's not there. There is a 4.5% power gain in the 2.7 using premium . High octane gas allows for more advanced timing = more power.

Many folks have spent far more money chasing 15hp than putting in a tank of premium.

I think it is smart to run premium in either Bronco engine if you desire to run it at full potential...

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been running a tuned SHO on Sunoco 93 for the past 8 years...looking forward to saving a little cash on gas going forward.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The octane number has nothing to do with the quality of the gas. The brand is the determining factor. Have experimented with 87 vs 91 and didn't notice any performance difference and the minimal mpg improvement wasn't worth expense. Also, I have seen higher altitude areas like eastern Idaho and others where reg is 85 and premium is 89. Here, 91 is the highest available.

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Where is the poll option for 110?
I joke. But I have run it in my Big Dog chopper back in the early 00's and it is amazing, smells like freedom and testosterone at the end of the pipes.
In my 1300 VTX forum it was debated about 87 vs 93 and people who have been riding them forever swear the 87 runs better in those, and I had always ran 93.
I tried a couple of tanks of 87 and Danged if they weren't right. For whatever reason (I don't even remember now why), it is true. And I would have bet $ on 93 being the better option. It's better fuel, right!?
I'll run what's recommended.
If I get the tune, I'll run the 93.
But I'll always (after break-in) run synthetic engine oil and synthetic gear oils(argument for another topic, I assume).
Just sharing. This changed my mind about synthetic for diffs:

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/files/PDF Files/ecgs-gear-oil-recommendation1.pdf
Sponsored