Sponsored

[ POLL ] What Grade Of Gas Are You Using In Your Bronco?

What Grade Of Fuel Do You Use In Your Bronco???

• Total voters

thrillswills

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oil Change every 3k? The oil companies LOVE you!

The Bronco owners manual says 7500-10000 under normal driving conditions, 3000-5000 under severe conditions.

The 3k oil change is a standard is from forever ago when engines were crap and blow-by burned up oil. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to follow it with modern engines. The oil companies aren't gonna tell you that, why would they? It's like the "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" slogan. Everyone just takes it for granted but that slogan was actually started by the Apple industry, TO SELL APPLES...
Agreed! I was chatting with my neighbor the other day who is a Ford engineer and also helped design the Maverick engine. I asked if he’d changed the oil yet in his new Bronco yet and he looked at me like I was crazy. Said the way these new engines are designed nowadays you want to wait until that 10k mark as it can actually hurt your engine performance if you change it more frequently. I never knew.
Sponsored

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The Bronco owners manual says 7500-10000 under normal driving conditions, 3000-5000 under severe conditions.

The 3k oil change is a standard is from forever ago when engines were crap and blow-by burned up oil. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to follow it with modern engines. The oil companies aren't gonna tell you that, why would they? It's like the "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" slogan. Everyone just takes it for granted but that slogan was actually started by the Apple industry, TO SELL APPLES...
It's my vehicle, my rules.

There's ABSOLUTELY no reason to drive a Bronco Sasquatch on dry paved roads but we will all do it.

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are great answers. Changed my view on this. Since my ManSquatch will be a "Fun" vehicle, I'll go 93 and save money commuting in the Mach-e

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I fill up with premium (93) from Costco each week. If I didn't have access to Costco's premium Kirkland Signiture top tier fuel, I would probably just use regular (87) from any other top tier gas station.... Costco's premium is priced at or right below the cost of mid grade in my particular area.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don't have it yet but will run 89 in it. I have run 89 for the last three years in my Mazda6 Turbo with the occasional tank of 93.

From my experience with the Mazda, it runs fine on 87, better on 89 and the best on 93. It definitely has more pep on 93 from the butt dyno, and does return marginally better fuel economy, but not enough that I want to put 93 in it every week. So I split the difference and run89

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed! I was chatting with my neighbor the other day who is a Ford engineer and also helped design the Maverick engine. I asked if he’d changed the oil yet in his new Bronco yet and he looked at me like I was crazy. Said the way these new engines are designed nowadays you want to wait until that 10k mark as it can actually hurt your engine performance if you change it more frequently. I never knew.
Can you ask him to explain how changing your oil more frequently can hurt your engine performance? This makes no sense to me.
You should only go 10k miles if you are running synthetic oil, IMO, and Ford is not putting synthetic in at the factory.

As far as gas, I run 89 (Mid) in every engine I own. It's a blend of 87 and 91/93, so you get some of the premium additives from the 91/93 gas, and at least in my area, save some money.

In my small engines (leaf blower/tractors...), the 89 is great. I used to have starting issues if they have been sitting a while, but after using only 89, 2-3 pulls and it's going.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I have a feeling this is a generation gap issue. The guys with the life experience of living through those early turbocharged engines take precautions which are not required today. If changing every 3k miles with a Blackstone analysis makes you happy then go for it. But don't offer that as a norm or requirement when Ford themselves is telling you what the engine needs.

I'm running a 2009 A4 with 204k miles without much issue. But you see this type of behavior in Audi forums too where people insist their car can only take $20/oz oil and 100octane race fuel. My oil change intervals vary between 5k and 10k miles with the biggest factor being not wanting to freeze my ass off in my garage!

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Cheapest motor insurance available. Change it every 3500 regardless of what the manual states. Carbon aka dirt is the motors culprit, and changing the oil removes that issue.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fuel refined from the dung of a unicorn. Since my Bronco is mythical, my fuel might as well be also.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be running ethanol free premium whenever possible.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheapest motor insurance available. Change it every 3500 regardless of what the manual states. Carbon aka dirt is the motors culprit, and changing the oil removes that issue.
An apple a day.....

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's my vehicle, my rules.

There's ABSOLUTELY no reason to drive a Bronco Sasquatch on dry paved roads but we will all do it.
I mean obviously you're gonna do what you want with your vehicle. That doesn't make it any less illogical.

I think I would better equate it to simply burning $150 every 10,000 miles (wasting 2 oil changes).

Last edited:

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I run 115 octane race fuel and change the oil with full synthetic infused with the blood of virgins every 100,000 rpm.
We have a few gas stations near the Nascar shops and speedway that sell 100 octane. I've always been curious about putting it in my car, maybe I'll pull the trigger on the Bronco.

TheeBullhead

First Edition
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Crossfire
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The station closest to my house has 93 and non oxygenated 91. I plan on trying both, but curious if any of you have any thoughts on which one would be better.
Sponsored