Sponsored

What type of gas are you putting in your bronco?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve done regular and premium 93 during break in, but now I’m over 3K, I normally use 89 by splitting the middle and usually from Quick Trip.

I have a thing for Shell and Chevron, but can’t really tell you why, so only get when on trips and no QT or the great Buc ees, which is probably my favorite place on earth! Ha ha! :ROFLMAO:

Never really feel I need the extra “performance” of premium since I don’t drive my Bronco very fast. Hard for people to stare at my green monster with envy when driving too fast. ;)
Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to put 87 Costco until I did a bit of research from a prior post on this same topic. Long story short...the octane is actually important and does make a difference. It's the difference between controlled and uncontrolled combustion. Higher octane will combust at the same pressures and at the peak of the power stroke (when the piston is at the top of the cylinder). It started to make sense that lower octane fuel will combust prematurely (not in the power stroke) and can cause engine knocking. I use 91+ now. The Bronco deserves it.
Ford Bronco What type of gas are you putting in your bronco? Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.47.20 PM

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used to put 87 Costco until I did a bit of research from a prior post on this same topic. Long story short...the octane is actually important and does make a difference. It's the difference between controlled and uncontrolled combustion. Higher octane will combust at the same pressures and at the peak of the power stroke (when the piston is at the top of the cylinder). It started to make sense that lower octane fuel will combust prematurely (not in the power stroke) and can cause engine knocking. I use 91+ now. The Bronco deserves it.
Ford Bronco What type of gas are you putting in your bronco? Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.47.20 PM

Modern engines adjust timing to compensate for the time difference in combustion. As long as you are not getting knock, the 87 will be fine.

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Except for one time where I had no other option it has been premium in my 2.7 for me. This is my first brand new vehicle and I like the idea of more HP also. I can afford the difference so it's not an issue.

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modern engines adjust timing to compensate for the time difference in combustion. As long as you are not getting knock, the 87 will be fine.
I was reading on that. I should have posted the full image which actually discusses electronic assistance. Yes, it might stop knocking but at what cost? The sacrifice of the power stroke. Your engine isn't running at peak. Instead of the spark happening in the power stroke (for that piston) it's happening after. I would rather pay little extra.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/...s are measures of,ignite) in a testing engine.
Ford Bronco What type of gas are you putting in your bronco? Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.56.17 PM

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Running 93. I am tuned, exhaust, and CAI. Also, 93 is 389 @ my station and regular is now 368. Hmmm.

The benefits of 93 are there as well. Heh not the race car, but boy can she kick off the heels, lift her skirt and run :)

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I run the cheap shit most of the time. I can go 48 miles round trip and lose 100 mile on the estimated miles to empty. I have CAI, intercooler, and charge pipes and soon downpipe and CRP upgraded turbo (which is not usable until someone can provide a custom tune) once the tune and turbo happen I will only run 93 or a mix of 3-4 gallons of e85 and 93 for the rest. (Cheaper than a octane booster)

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
93 octane, hopefully Shell or BP

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Regular in the tank, methane in the cabin...

Sponsored

GatorFord

Outer Banks
First Name
Dexter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250. 2001 Ranger, 2022 Genesis GV70
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A stock 2.7 will run fine on 87, a little better on 89, but probably not enough to justify the cost. Anything over that is not necessary, unless you adjust the tuning for it. I have the JB4 tuner and run 92 or 93 on Level 2. I am also averaging about 21 mpg.

I'm not saying that higher octane is not better overall, just that you won't see any mileage or power benefits unless the engine is tuned for it.

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With 87 octane 10% ethanol the 2.3 mt feels sluggish compared to 91 octane no ethanol, mileage increases also. No 93 in our area that I’ve been able to find, but I’d like to try it.

ROGUEBRONCO

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only run 91 or better - 91 is the common premuim where I am. Some areas do not have it though, so you should run the higher grade where you are. With a turbo/preformance vehicle you want a better fuel (and oil)

BroncoBish

Badlands
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
91 only! Tried less once and the Bronco did not like it. Felt like it wanted to fall on its face.
Sponsored