Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I voted don't want a V-8, mostly because of what's available I don't think Ford has a good V8 to offer in a bronco application.

Coyote - great in the Mustang, absolutely love it, make that baby scream and hold on! MEH in the F-150 configuration. Everyone I know with F-150s that uses them for truck stuff prefers the ecoboost.

Godzilla - much more suited to bronco duty but super overkill and I could only imagine it would be super thirsty. You could probably watch the gas gauge go down while driving it haha and with out a 36 gallon super duty tank ouch.

Rumored baby godzilla - probably would hit the perfect middle ground but since it's only rumored don't know anything about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I voted don't want a V-8, mostly because of what's available I don't think Ford has a good V8 to offer in a bronco application.

Coyote - great in the Mustang, absolutely love it, make that baby scream and hold on! MEH in the F-150 configuration. Everyone I know with F-150s that uses them for truck stuff prefers the ecoboost.

Godzilla - much more suited to bronco duty but super overkill and I could only imagine it would be super thirsty. You could probably watch the gas gauge go down while driving it haha and with out a 36 gallon super duty tank ouch.

Rumored baby godzilla - probably would hit the perfect middle ground but since it's only rumored don't know anything about it.
Yeah I agree. I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of "Coyote or bust" folks, but the Coyote is a little big for a mid-sized SUV. Not that has held back Jeep with the Wrangler 392. But the Wrangler is Jeep's top selling product by far, so there is a lot of incentive for Jeep to milk it for all its worth (similar to what Ford does on the F-150).

I guess they could always resurrect the 4.6L Modular V8 (3-valve probably, since it already has VCT), but it's going to be hard to justify doing that unless there are other applications for it.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd buy a V8 if it were just a $3k upgrade, but I'd rather have diesel.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd buy a V8 if it were just a $3k upgrade, but I'd rather have diesel.
That would be sweet but I think that ship has sailed at this point. Ford tried the diesel in the F-150 and it didn't work... and I don't see that changing any time soon unless the states and federal government tax diesel at the same rate as gasoline.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That would be sweet but I think that ship has sailed at this point. Ford tried the diesel in the F-150 and it didn't work... and I don't see that changing any time soon unless the states and federal government tax diesel at the same rate as gasoline.
Yep, and the greenies that run our federal and state governments don't like diesel. We have the Ford Lion 3.0L diesel in my wife's '18 Range Rover and get 29 mpg and it can easily tow our boat that weighs 7,500 lbs. with trailer.

Sponsored

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want a PHEV 🤷‍♂️

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once your past 420 horse on a 2 door a v8 is useless besides the exhaust note. After seeing how this little 2.7 acts after you get some power to her, I wouldn’t want a v8.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Normally I'd agree with you since the 2dr has such a small tank, but I rarely get better than 17mpg on the highway with my 2.7L as it is. 17mpg seems to be the real world number with the 7.3L in the '21 super duty, and they're pushing a lot more truck than what we would, probably even if we were towing a small trailer as well. City mileage for those trucks hover between 13-15mpg, which is not too far away from what I get as well. If one could stay off the gas, and that's a BIG IF in this case, a 7.3L Bronco might end up getting better economy than the 2.7L does.

Once your past 420 horse on a 2 door a v8 is useless besides the exhaust note. After seeing how this little 2.7 acts after you get some power to her, I wouldn’t want a v8.
Useless for who, exactly? I can think of plenty of situations where 420hp wouldn't be enough.

Stick in the Mud

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dunno WTF this poll is supposed to be, but I’d take a Badlands in a V8 with the Raptor dash any day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dunno WTF this poll is supposed to be, but I’d take a Badlands in a V8 with the Raptor dash any day.
It was an (admittedly poor) attempt at figuring out what kind of V8 people would actually buy.

People always say they want a V8. But I just had a feeling if Ford came out tomorrow and say "Hey look guys, we listened to you and stuck a high-dollar V8 in a Bronco!!" very few people would actually buy it. So I tried to create a poll to test that. The forum software doesn't really allow me to do what I wanted to do, so I had to create hieroglyphics.

Anyway, sees most people want a lower cost, reliable V8, and they want it on their chosen trim. Slapping in a high performance 5.2L V8 with a supercharger isn't exactly what most people are looking for.

Stick in the Mud

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was an (admittedly poor) attempt at figuring out what kind of V8 people would actually buy.

People always say they want a V8. But I just had a feeling if Ford came out tomorrow and say "Hey look guys, we listened to you and stuck a high-dollar V8 in a Bronco!!" very few people would actually buy it. So I tried to create a poll to test that. The forum software doesn't really allow me to do what I wanted to do, so I had to create hieroglyphics.

Anyway, sees most people want a lower cost, reliable V8, and they want it on their chosen trim. Slapping in a high performance 5.2L V8 with a supercharger isn't exactly what most people are looking for.
Everybody loves a good Coyote V8, but it can be too much power for slow off-roading, I agree. That’s the one concern I’ve got with the 392 on order. It seems like a good trade off though for more towing and to not have your engine sound like a dying blender.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everybody loves a good Coyote V8, but it can be too much power for slow off-roading, I agree. That’s the one concern I’ve got with the 392 on order. It seems like a good trade off though for more towing and to not have your engine sound like a dying blender.
Yeah it seems the sound of an engine is extremely important to people. Hard for me to understand personally, never really cared what an engine sounded like. As long as the engine isn't overly loud/annoying and I can still hear the music playing in my Bronco I couldn't care less what it sounded like. BUT... I am fairly confident I'm in the minority there.

Also... the tow rating is not a engine limitation, more of a suspension/transmission issue. The 2.7L engine on the F-150 tows 10,100 pounds, and the 2.3L on the Ranger has a tow rating of 7,500 lbs. Even the Explorer with the 2.3L engine tows 5,300 lbs. So they could easily increase the towing if they wanted, but they would have to swap up the suspension a bit and it wouldn't perform quite as well off-road.

Keep in mind the Wrangler 392, with it's much larger V8 engine still has a maximum tow capacity of 3500 lbs., and that's because Jeep is also prioritizing off-road capability.

I don't think we'll ever see the Bronco tow 7,000+ pounds, you would have to sacrifice too much to make it happen. But the lack of towing is a huge pain point for a lot of people. So I wouldn't be surprised if Ford switches some stuff up in future model years to increase it by another 500 - 1000 lbs.

Last edited:

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No shot I would want a V8 in a big truck like this already getting 16-19 depending on how degen I feel on the road. V6 is great

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If only Ford had brought back the 78-79 Bronco... heck, base it off the Superduty and we'd get the 7.3L gasser and the 6.7L diesel! Plus, the Gladiator version would just be some convertible Superduty abomination, yeah!

The 5.0L Coyote is too wide to have been put in easily on the assembly line. Ford's engineers simply couldn't figure it out.

A four-door is absolutely unacceptable for someone who loves Broncos. I wish they had come out with a two-door and a Gladiator-style only for a four-door option.

The Bronco is much about "stylin' and profilin'" and the V8 sound is a part of that. A slap in the face from Ford to be sure, but possibly the only way the Bronco could've come back at all. Sometimes you've got to take a slap in the face to get into something you wa... maybe there's a better metaphor.
Sponsored