Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For added cost of 15-20k msrp then asshat dealer mark ups that’s a Hell no!

Agrod

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Enough with the 2.7L alternator deaths involving mud and water crossings. Imagine adding the risk of damage to the electric motor or battery packs. No, thanks. Not on a Bronco.

My beef with hybrids is that the engines are usually wimpy four cylinders mated to CVTs. A six-cylinder engine is smoother and better sounding than a four-cylinder engine (neither of the engines available for the Bronco are either smooth or good sounding). The battery WILL fail fresh out of the warranty period and WILL be expensive.

The positives to hybrids are the cool things that electric also have, like tax credits, summon out of a parking spot and the electric only creep in traffic.

Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Let me put it like this. A hybrid requires a few batteries. With (using a two door as an example) how little space is available already. Keeping in mind how most (many) remove the spare and that’s where they place the hybrid batteries.
I think the spare is going to be a thing of the past anyway. My wife’s last 2 infinity Q something’s both had run flat tires and no spare on board. You could order one for a handsome ransom though if you wanted one.

The wrangler 4xe has a full size spare hanging off the tailgate so I bet a hybrid bronco would too.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It looks as though Ford will be producing a hybrid Bronco. I have very mixed feelings on this. Hybrids have become very impressive performance wise but I honestly don't know a lot about them. I do know they have a lot of low end torque and that they can go long distances without a fill up. Two major qualities for off-road exploring. However, I don't know how they holdup in bad weather, how hard they are to work on or their longevity. I know I don't want something I cant work on and I don't want that kill engine at stops type feature the Ranger has.

The upcoming Hybrid Mustang and F150 are very intriguing. Especially considering that it looks like it will be a V8. I mean I doubt that will make it into the Bronco but it's still interesting.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/11/2020-ford-f150-hybrid-450-hp-600-lb-ft-torque-specs-plugin/

Anyway, I just wanted to get your guys take on it. I'm on the fence with it.
I feel like a very small percent of you would even consider a hybrid but for what exact reasons?

Administrator's post from March 15th:

Next-Gen Hybrid Electrics: Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

Ford’s new hybrids will offer customers more space than today’s hybrids. On the F-150 Hybrid, Ford will lean in to capability, such as the low-end torque for extra pulling power and the fact it can serve as a mobile generator. Mustang Hybrid will be all about delivering V8-like performance with more low-end torque.

“Hybrids for years have been mostly niche products but are now on the cusp of a mainstream breakout,” Farley said. “The valuable capability they offer – plus fuel efficiency – is why we’re going to offer hybrid variants of our most popular and high-volume vehicles, allowing our loyal, passionate customers to become advocates for the technology.”

Ford’s new hybrid system is designed to be more efficient and less expensive than previous generations. These lower costs – achieved through supply base relationships, using common cell and component design and by manufacturing motors, transmissions and battery packs – with the intention of lowering cost of ownership for customers.

Battery electric vehicles: Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) represent more than a different powertrain – they represent a lifestyle change for consumers, especially for those who have never driven an electric vehicle.

That is why Ford’s strategy includes rethinking the ownership experience so it is more seamless than with today’s gas-powered vehicles. That means making charging an effortless experience at home and on the road as well as offering full-vehicle over-the-air software updates to enhance capability and features.

“Throwing a charger in the trunk of a vehicle and sending customers on their way isn’t enough to help promote the viability of electric vehicles,” said Sherif Marakby, vice president, Autonomous and Electric Vehicles. “In addition to expanding our electric vehicle lineup, we are redesigning the ownership experience to ensure it addresses customer pain points that currently hold back broad adoption today.”

Ford’s BEV manufacturing plan will be more efficient. The company will halve floor space for final assembly operations and reduce capital investment 50 percent. A projected 30 percent improvement in labor efficiency will allow Ford to redeploy employees to do other jobs, including assembly of battery packs (which are normally expensive and complex to ship).

Ford’s new performance battery electric utility arrives in 2020. It is the first of six electric vehicles coming by 2022 as part of the company’s $11 billion global electric vehicle investment.
Hybrid Bronco ? Yes, I would like it to be a hybrid of an ICE Bronco and a vehicle Ford can build and deliver as proposed with zero issues.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With how poor gas mileage is, I wouldn’t expect much battery range. There is little to no space in a Bronco as it is. Where would the battery go. Maverick lost half of its interior cargo space to a battery with little range.

Wardognal

Outer Banks
First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would not buy one. It is my mission to use up as much petrol based fuel as I can over the next thirty years.
Sponsored