Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get over it and enjoy you ride and let him enjoy his. Sounds like you are jealous of his big tires and ability to make a large purchase on a whim. Maybe he wanted to have some way to connect with you, just saying.
Sponsored

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The only time I would be annoyed is if he constantly compares yours to his. Or talks up his like it’s better than yours. Then I would be pissed. Or he copy’s ever little detail of yours. There is a limit to copying and going a bit overboard. He obviously loved yours so much he had to have his own. I have a copycat sister in law/stalker single white female. Who practically wanted everything I had. Needless to say I severed ties with her because she was always belittling me but yet copied everything I have. So I get it.

Reactions: Cat

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can’t speak to the relationship you have with your Father-in-law, but I think I would see it as a bonding moment for one of you if not both.

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This reminds me of two women bitching about wearing the same dress. If Ford only made a limited number of Broncos (like the GT as someone else pointed out), I could see your point. Ford is making tens of thousands of them. Get over it and enjoy your ride.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Annoyed? No.
Offended? No.
Using this as a way to spend some time together off-pavement/find a new hobby you both can connect with? Definitely. I mean, if you two have that relationship or see a means to cultivate one.

My Ex-FIL and I had a shared love for canoeing and fishing. We shared no common ground on politics or religion, and simply knew where the boundaries were and had enough respect as grown men to not introduce anything into the relationship that was not value-added.
But every time we could we got in the canoes and shared some cold ones, and a few laughs.
He's a good dude and will always have my respect, regardless of the fact he now detests me for divorcing his daughter. To which I also see his perspective and would feel the same.

I Digress but the gist is if you have or see the value/opportunity to cultivate the positive here, it could open up a new level of fun. But most of all, open up an avenue of shared and heightened respect.
Our perspectives guide our emotions, which guide our thoughts. Up to you to determine how you handle it.
Me? I'd be researching some local small-scale adventures to ease into together, see where it goes.
You never know.
A year from now you could be having family excursions to far-away places out west where the expanse and experiences are second-to-none. Something new you would not have had before, and something to cherish vs. look at with a scornful/offended eye.

Sponsored
OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DAMN

Well, looks like this got some traction. I accidently deleted the original post while trying to update it.

Just wanted to update you all...

The scenario has put so much stress on my wife and I that we actually decided on divorce yesterday. It's been a tough 24 hours, but the situation was just causing too much friction in our lives.

I've decided to sell my Bronco and get a Jeep. It's been fun.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe what your issue is, is that he has the money to buy a Bronco on a whim. A serious thought: his daughter (should) inherit some of that money. When your feelings are more settled, look for (or make) an opportunity to discuss estate matters so you aren't caught by surprise (again). Then you should talk things through with your wife.

Here's my money + Bronco story. As I turned 30, I gave up booze & drugs and got my life in order. I've had several jobs, two careers and now am comfortably, but not affluently, retired--with a fat line of credit on a home that's appreciated in value (a lot). I made my way. My brother, about the same time, got deeply involved in the counter-culture, and sees the government as the solution to all his (and the world's) problems. Somehow, he lives on Social Security--alone! Our philosophical and political --and financial -- beliefs are quite contentious.

Last year I took him on a month-long trip, hitting lots of scenic (and off-road) locals across the country--something he'd never do even if he could afford it. He asked me how I bought the truck. I simply answered, "I just wrote a check."

I let him jump to the conclusion that I bought it out of available cash holdings--even though I am paying it down through the line-of-credit!

My point, Gaangs--is that you don't know the details of your FiL's purchase. Might not be what you think!
Typically the explanation is one of these three: makes bank, family money, or credit

In that regard, my wife was commenting to me, about a couple we knew driving around in high priced new SUVs with all the bling. I told her it was one of the three. Ended up door number 3 - credit. As we learned when they lost their house to their high rolling credit ways. Sad but at least they found a rental to keep their kids in the same school district.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DAMN

Well, looks like this got some traction. I accidently deleted the original post while trying to update it.

The scenario has put so much stress on my wife and I that we actually decided on divorce yesterday. It's been a tough 24 hours, but the situation was just causing too much friction in our lives.

How much for the Bronco?

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
DAMN

Dude, if you are seriously divorcing over a vehicle you need some professional help - a very good psychologist or psychiatrist. Hate to say this, but your wife will be better off without you dragging her down.

Seriously, get help

Sponsored
OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude, if you are seriously divorcing over a vehicle you need some professional help - a very good psychologist or psychiatrist. Hate to say this, but your wife will be better off without you dragging her down.

Seriously, get help
It was satire.

Looking back, I've realized just how silly it was to feel the way I did. Buying him a Bronco hat for father's day and moving on.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was satire.

Looking back, I've realized just how silly it was to feel the way I did. Buying him a Bronco hat for father's day and moving on.
Maybe reach out to a mod and ask for the whole thread to be deleted . . . just a thought. Your call, obviously.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe reach out to a mod and ask for the whole thread to be deleted . . . just a thought. Your call, obviously.
Ford Bronco Would this annoy any of you? giphy-8

OP has come full circle. He can now go wheeling with the family and show the in-laws how it's done. :cool:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.