Sponsored

Would a V8 GMC Jimmy Sway You from the Bronco?

Would a V8 Jimmy Sway You?

• Total voters

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was scrolling through my news feed in bed this morning and one of those C&D articles from June popped up about the upcoming 2022 Jimmy. While I personally feel that the render they used is hideous (as are most GM products as of late), it got me thinking that something they could do to sway away both Bronco and Wrangler potential buyers would be to offer a factory V8 option. I realize it is HIGHLY unlikely, but it would certainly be a bombshell that would get many of you in this forum, and elsewhere, to reconsider their options. Ford has typically been the innovator (domestically at least), while GM usually "waits and sees", and then tries to improve upon or put their own spin on what Ford and others do, and a V8 option would be a game changer for many.

For me personally, it would depend on looks and capability. If it ends up being a V8 crossover, I'm out.

As a side note, I have no idea how Blazer sales have been, but living in Atlanta where many people here want the latest/greatest/newest vehicles, it also hit me this morning that I have seen ONE Blazer in person since they were released. Assuming sales are bad and judging by the Bronco hype, a body on frame, off road focused, V8 Jimmy could be a disruptor and a way to redeem themselves after the Blazer.

What do y'all think?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bbostic5

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will never own anything made by Chevy that isn’t an engine or transmission for a swap.
That's fair. My dad's CTS V-Sport has been in the shop for 9 weeks, partly due to the strike. The dealership has tried everything, but it looks like they are going to have to replace the engine after only 56,000 miles. He's never buying GM again.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you were to present me essentially identical Ford and Chevy products, with both satisfying all of my capability desires, both with styling and interiors that I liked, and otherwise the same (both manual transmission, similar weight, etc). But the Ford had an ecoboost or Coyote and the Chevy had an LS/LT motor in it, I would take the Chevy.

But really it would come down to other capabilities so that was my answer. If Ford made a 'badass' rock-crawling SFA rig to be the Bronco and Chevy made a 'cop-out' scaled down 2 door SUV version of the Colorado ZR2...obviously I would be taking the Chevy, because they'd be making something that appeals to me.

However, that all being said, and GM being GM, I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually make an off-road focused SUV if the Bronco sells well. Quite possibly Colorado based. I *will*, however, be very surprised if they make a 2 door version, assuming the Bronco does a similar split in sales numbers as the Wrangler with the 4 door selling far more.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I get a GM Family First discount, which saved me about $3,000 iirc on my Sierra. That made it an easy choice over the F-150.

The Bronco / Jimmy would be my wife's daily driver, so I still have to vote "it depends," but a GM product would be still be more likely to land in our driveway due to the discount.

I don't expect to see a GMC Jimmy off road SUV within the next, well, ever, so it really does not matter.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

U725

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Roadster, R53 MC40 Mini Cooper S
Given the horror stories I've heard from current GM owners and my friends dad, who is a service advisor for the local GMC dealer, I wouldn't wanna own one if they gave it to me. Horrible electrical issues and problems from the jump. But this is only the newer vehicles.

So no. A V8 Jimmy wouldn't sway me from the Bronco.

Skeets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 2015 Ram 3500
If it had ZR2 capability and was better powered I'd take a look at it. The ZR2 is a fairly capable rig and with more power would be a contender for many folks. I'm sure it wouldn't have the power of my F 150 ecoboost but Chevy can build a good product if they want to, trouble is they haven't in quite a while. Time will tell and competition is good for all of us in that it forces them to build better products.

Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I selected other. It's wouldn't sway me. But the Bronco not having the V8 will definitely not make me a new car buyer. Maybe down the line I'd buy a used one for a proper V8/ manual tranny swap.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
if Bigger is what you want...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/10/gm-...ectric-version-of-the-hummer-sources-say.html

DETROIT – General Motors is resurrecting the Hummer, buying Super Bowl air time to debut a new all-electric pickup version of the automaker’s gas guzzling, military-style SUV that was discontinued as part of the automaker’s 2009 bankruptcy, according to people familiar with the plans. GM has signed NBA star LeBron James to star in the commercial, according to the people who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t yet public. The vehicle, which was first reported Friday by the Wall Street Journal, will be sold under the automaker’s GMC brand instead of a standalone brand as it was before, according to one person . A GM spokesman declined to comment on the company’s plans.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like a man who knows what he thinks :)