First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Premium, like everything else I drive. Of course, premium in Alaska is only 90.

The motor is optimized to run premium... why on earth would I run low grade?
Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

mattrb87

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have always bought regular unleaded, however after reading the bronco manual, 87 is the lowest recommended fuel to use. Of course where I live, regular is 86, so I might have to buy at least mid grade or premium.

Derby

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In my 13 fusion 1.6l eco. I run 87 octane. In my 2011 f150 3.5l eco.I run 87 octane. I drive 30k+ miles a year just back and forth to work in the fusion. The $ .50 a gallon more for premium would cost me $530 more a year just for the fusion. The 1 mpg I gain is not worth it for me. The fusion has 173k miles and the F150 has 83k miles. No issues with either.
On another note the 2.7 eco. has the port and direct injection to prevent intake valve fouling.

Sponsored

Ukon

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

WHAT?
They‘re NOT electric?:LOL:

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I voted 87.
I do this with the expectations that I will be happy and it will run efficiently. After 8 years of nothing but the cleanest premium, with a whole lots of that EPIC Canadian Chevron 94 for my FoST, I hope to offset the fuel costs a bit by being able to use regular, but I will dabble on occasion and if it’s noticeably nicer, I will do more than dabble! lol
🐴🥌

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My boss convinced me years ago to put only 91 Octane in our fleet vehicles, and I noticed the difference. Not HP neccessarily but certainly in mileage and extended preventative maintenance intervals. It makes a huge difference long term, and my wife and I use Premium exclusively. We fill at Shell in town with V-Power Nitro Premium 91 Octane; and if I swing by a Petro Canada station, I will grab a tank of Ultra 94.
Avoid ethanol’s like the Plague. Seriously. That crap is garbage. Informative video on why this is a fact here (from Jay Leno’s Garage)

There is a youtube vid out there where a guy tests the ethanol % of V-Power and it was only 4% so, that's pretty good!

Here is a link to find gas stations that carry non ethanol gas:

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp

Last edited:

Sponsored

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, since Ford dropped the ball and didn't get the Bronco to 33/38 mpg, Regular it is! That's assuming they haven't switched over to electric by the time I get mine! Haha!

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

probably 89. happy medium. dependent the price differences though. 91 is usually 40-50cents more than 87. and about 30cents more than 89. it adds up. plus i don't need that extra power day to day.

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
probably 89. happy medium. dependent the price differences though. 91 is usually 40-50cents more than 87. and about 30cents more than 89. it adds up. plus i don't need that extra power day to day.
Here is a little gas pump fun fact. The pump mixes the lowest octane gas with the highest octane gas (gas stations only carry two octanes, their highest and lowest) to achieve those mid range octanes so, you would get a bump up in detergents if it's from a Top Tier gas station.

One annoying thing about modern gas pumps is only one nozzle per pump so, if someone pumped 87 before you and you go for 94, you're paying 94 octane price until the 87 has been flushed through the gas pump/hose.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be putting premium into this puppy since it is tuned for it. If I can't afford the extra $4/tank of fuel, I shouldn't be buying a $50,000 vehicle. The Acura which the Bronco will replace already runs on premium, so the only difference is the gas mileage.
Call it 20 gallons on a full fueling for a four door. That would be a $0.20 a gallon difference, I haven't seen a 20 cent difference in premium vs. regular in almost 30 years, by me it is about $0.70 a gallon difference, which is $14 a tank. National average difference is just over 60 cents per AAA.

The ten speed auto is programmed to keep the RPM low, down low, you are not getting extra power with the stock tune unless you open the throttle all the way and hold it above 4000 or so RPM You may want to think about how many seconds, in a full tank of fuel, that you are at wide open throttle and above 4000 RPM. I suspect it will be under a minute, maybe two minutes if someone drives like an ass-hat, my choice is not to pay an extra $14 a minute for slightly better acceleration (saving a tenth or a fifth of a second getting up to highway speed) in a two plus ton truck. Benefit per cost is my argument for using the minimum recommended manufacturer Octane, not being able to afford it or not.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I convinced myself that 17 MPG is okay by me given I could put regular in it....its the equivalent of 20 MPG on premium if you factor in the costs.

So 87 it is!
Sponsored