First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
ChatGPT and Dall e 3 to the rescue. Here’s your AI Bronco on the black diamond slopes…

Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: IMG_7789

(I’m not worried about the robots taking over yet.)

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assumed the trims were named after national parks, and the badges sort of reflect that. Mountains, ocean wave for OBX, skull in the Badlands badge, etc.
Of course base is base, and Wildtrak is just wild.
Raptor is a bird of prey. Bronco is horse. So the Bronco Raptor is a Hippogriff. We have parks and Greek mythology.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ChatGPT and Dall e 3 to the rescue. Here’s your AI Bronco on the black diamond slopes…

Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: IMG_7789

(I’m not worried about the robots taking over yet.)
I asked for a Bronco with zebra stripes.
Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: Messenger_creation_1584757449022462

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just my .2 cents
Looking at badging……..
Base: self explanatory
Big Bend : jagged mountains : National park in Texas
Black Diamond : mountain peak : black diamond ski trails
Outer Banks : waves on sand : Outer Banks chain of islands on the North Carolina coast
Badlands : buttes and arroyos : Badlands of the Dakotas
🤔
But then again I’m hung the freak over so what do I know?
🥃😜

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just marketing. I assumed Black Diamond was in reference to ski slopes, and possibly thus the rubberized flooring.
But think about the marketing idiot running Ford now. I’m way more pissed off about naming an electric suv a Mustang Mach E, and badging a glorified Escape as a Bronco sport.

The off road park we frequent rates their trails by number. 1 through 5.

SkiSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ski a lot and drive in really crap winter conditions. I looked at the black diamond figuring it had a better setup for winter conditions… nope. Sas and lux combo makes a better winter setup. Went with an obx with sas, lux, and added skid plates for some summer fun.

Strobetrotter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't interpret Black Diamond as the toughness of the terrain it can handle; I interpreted it as the snow season truck for sloshing around outside ski resorts.

Base: Scratch that just-the-facts-ma'am type
Big Bend: Lighter, perhaps goes farther (like the old Jeep Rio Grande), more work truck
Outer Banks: Visiting the crowded touristy areas and still looking spiffy
Badlands: Some rock crawling, tougher terrain but nothing crazy
WildTrak: A fast ride for gravel and light sand for those who got the cash
Badlands Sasquatch can eat up 7/10 rated trails no problem with a moderately experienced driver and good spotter

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Disney’s role in ski trail signs
Strangely enough, the Disney Company played a key role in the design of ski trail signs. In the 1960s, the company had plans to develop a Mineral King, a glacial valley in California’s Sequoia National Park, into a ski resort. Thankfully, the nascent environmental movement prevented the project from turning a national park into a theme park, but the company had already figured out its trail signage. As John Fry and Bob Cram recount in a piece for skiinghistory.org:
Your timing is a bit off with your statement about Mineral King being a part of Sequoia National Park at the time of Disney’s proposal of a ski resort. The Disney project was proposed in the mid 60’s and the Sierra Club and other environmental groups heavily objected to its development which killed the proposal. Mineral King wasn’t added to Sequoia National Park until the late 70’s. In high school in the mid 70’s my buddies and I along with the family German Shepherd did a backpacking trip out of Mineral King prior to the inclusion into the national park.

Sponsored

slycat67

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A group of us will be headed to a popular off highway park soon. I was just thinking before I head out to work today that the trail rating system must not have computed to Ford. Ford markets a Black Diamond Bronco. Black Diamond ( or difficult trails ) are describe by ONX as " Expected Terrain: Off-camber trail with deep holes and large rocks that may exceed axle height. Expect erosion, loose rocks, tree roots, sand, washes, shelves, and deep mud holes. Obstacles and ledges up to 5 feet. Near-vertical grades 8-10 feet tall. Potential for water crossings with strong currents. Exercise caution: vehicle damages are possible. ". These are 7 on the scale of 10. I believe that a stock Black Diamond would not be able to navigate these trails without breaking. I am going by my experience in the SE United States. I know that this will cause some intense debate. i would like you guys thoughts. This of course is all opinion. So please keep it civil. I will post a windrock video link below of what they consider Black diamond. They use the Easy, moderate, Black diamond, and double Diamond ratings. I'd say in my opinion the Raptor is the only one stock that is equipped for a black diamond trail.
soooo…. How was the trail? Did you survive?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A group of us will be headed to a popular off highway park soon. I was just thinking before I head out to work today that the trail rating system must not have computed to Ford. Ford markets a Black Diamond Bronco. Black Diamond ( or difficult trails ) are describe by ONX as " Expected Terrain: Off-camber trail with deep holes and large rocks that may exceed axle height. Expect erosion, loose rocks, tree roots, sand, washes, shelves, and deep mud holes. Obstacles and ledges up to 5 feet. Near-vertical grades 8-10 feet tall. Potential for water crossings with strong currents. Exercise caution: vehicle damages are possible. ". These are 7 on the scale of 10. I believe that a stock Black Diamond would not be able to navigate these trails without breaking. I am going by my experience in the SE United States. I know that this will cause some intense debate. i would like you guys thoughts. This of course is all opinion. So please keep it civil. I will post a windrock video link below of what they consider Black diamond. They use the Easy, moderate, Black diamond, and double Diamond ratings. I'd say in my opinion the Raptor is the only one stock that is equipped for a black diamond trail.
But thems the only trails you ever run! :ROFLMAO:

Not even sure how well a Braptor would handle a Black Diamond without damage. Guess Ford will call it “aspirational” Well, after about $17K in modifications at least.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is interesting, though. 5-6 years ago when I was thinking about getting into off roading, a 32-33" was a big tire on a Jeep! I was like, wow, 35's would be huge. Now, not so much 40's people don't even blink an eye.

What I keep hearing on podcasts (Big Rich and Snail Trail 4x4) and some on here is that the bigger tires are changing the nature of the trails, so you need bigger tires to keep up. 40's break down the trails in a way that for some trails, makes you need bigger tires.

So I wonder to some degree if the growth of the desired size of tire is making off roading in the Sierra's, for instance, harder, while opening up some trails that weren't desirable with 33's but can be done with 37's. And y'know, the limitations of IFS for hardcore rock crawling squeezing that one percent for the straight axle folk.
Yeah, you’re right. The big tires are one thing; as they plow, but it’s also the weight of the rigs, which dig.

Add both of these phenomenon and the much higher number of people out and you have trails that are wildly altered.

In addition, there are fewer Forest Service workers, Rangers, etc out there due to gov’t budget cuts, so trails are no longer as well groomed as they were since it would take much more work to get things back to what we remember even a decade ago.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford has used lots of names that seem more "out of the clear blue" than descriptive of the vehicles intended use. Ford Probe?? Galaxy??
Ford was probing to see if they could get away with ruining the Mustang by turning it into a front wheel drive import type car and ultimately got probed in the arse with consumer push back. The Galaxy was named in an era of space obsession.

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

No, I do not believe that the Black Diamond Bronco was designed for ski slopes..⛷
Haha, that would be a funny site to see.
Just imagine this… 😏
Sponsored