BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

What are the advantages of a bed over a cargo area? Would one be hauling anything taller than the roofline? Quicker access without having to open a door? Cleaner passenger area?

Not trying to knock this, just curious how one would sell the Maverick over the Transit Connect, especially given the chassis designs/engine options (assuming) are so similar.
Think about stacking in some bags of mulch or something. You can toss them in or pull them out over the bedsides.
Advertisement

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Bronco
Black Diamond
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I am downsizing from this tank which was smaller than my F350 tank. I dont need the capabilities anymore, but I do use it a ton to haul stuff plus its really nice on trips and gets 21 mpg with the 3.5. The Bronco is gonna require me to get a little utility trailer instead which is fine, if it wasnt for the Bronco, I was already looking at the Ranger which can haul 7500. we also need a 4x4 for where we live during the colder months so my wife can get to work.

truck.jpg
I'll likely do something similar, meaning a utility trailer. I don't currently have or have never owned a truck.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Bronco
Black Diamond
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Likely won't buy from Phil Long Ford. Who knows? That's the dealership with whom I'd made a reservation with - it doesn't mean that I won't switch.....

bdub2you

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
current vehicles in flux at the moment
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Ford really hates 2 door trucks for some reason. Like despises them.
Actually it's customers/the market that hates them. People don't buy new 2 door trucks, so Ford doesn't make many. The truck is the rural SUV and buyers almost always want 4 doors.

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Bronco
Undecided
Thanks, all good points. I could see this doing some light-duty rural work as well. Could easily carry around chainsaws, gas cans, and tools without getting your interior ruined with fuel, grease, and oil. The lower height would be helpful as well.

Last edited:

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Bronco
Undecided
Actually it's customers/the market that hates them. People don't buy new 2 door trucks, so Ford doesn't make many. The truck is the rural SUV and buyers almost always want 4 doors.
Yep. It made sense when trucks were pretty much field vehicles that barely left FM roads.

With a combination of regulations and shifting market needs, the price has been driven way up-market and now people often need them to be a jack-of-all-trades. The cost difference between two and four doors is minor for most people.

nvabill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
Bronco
Badlands
I don’t get why Ford keeps screwing up these names, it was called a ranchero, not maverick truck?
It’s like the Mustang Mach E, I don’t care that you made an electric suv, just don’t call it a Mustang
Ford does seem to have trouble sticking with a name very long.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 2019 Ford Escape
Bronco
Badlands
I guess for the truck owners that don't haul anything or leave pavement, it should be a nice alternative to the Ridgeline. Not my vision for a truck, but I'm sure it meets may people's needs.
I agree, if I was in the market for a truck the Ridgeline or this Maverick or the Hyundai truck would be on my list just because it's basically a crossover with a bed. But it's still cool for the people that will want or have use for a smaller vehicle with a bed.

The Maverick might do better than the Ridgeline because it will be smaller and in a "new" segment without truck based/body on frame competition is. I doubt Ford will be alone for long to have a vehicle in this segment

Throwback

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Cobalt, '93 S10 Tahoe Blazer
Bronco
Badlands
Because they offer them for consumers and next to no one buys them. I mean barely anyone buys 2Dr Jeeps and very few people have reserved 2Dr Broncos.

I don't see why Ford is even making the Trucklette for the US, maybe to make MPG limits.
And the reason no one buys them (by the statistics) is because dealers sell what's on the lot. They order all 4 door vehicles, so you only have that choice unless you specifically request otherwise. The only place the dealer orders a 2-door is for "fleet" and maybe one or two, here or there just to hang out on the lot. (The reason is greed, btw. They get more money if they don't sell 2-doors)

Advertisement

Zone Offroad
Advertisement