Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

UPDATED 12/8/22:

Alrighty, it’s been a loooong day. Good news is that I got the tune installed! The limiter was not cooperating so the graph may be a little weird. Basically my tuner had to work around the limiter to get the numbers. We found that the max HP was obtained using 6th gear and max Torque using 7th gear. Max numbers were 257 WHP and 307 ft lbs of torque at the wheel. This is compared to 237/291 stock. It should be noted I have muffler delete and run 91 Oct. Factoring in the generic 15% power drivetrain power loss, the numbers fall far below what Ford claims at 330 hp/385 tq at the crank. This could be in part due to the 35’s though and lack of 93 Oct… who knows?

i will say however, the whole power band changed and much more power comes on way sooner which is honestly a game changer. The transmission also shifts way snappier and feels like a DCT now. So while the numbers are slacking on the top end. The fact I have access to way more power lower in the range is exactly what I need off-road.
Now for the bad… 8 miles after getting the tune installed I got a service 4x4 light and the following codes pictured… to be fair I’m not sure if it’s the tune causing the issue as I recently went mudding and had spent that entire morning today pressure washing under my Bronco… I’m hoping it’s simple like a wheel speed sensor. In order to rule out the tune I attempted to reload the stock tune but it’s giving me an ECU read error. Not sure if this is because my PCM is throwing a code right now or if there is an issue with my stock tune file… either way I’m bummed. I reloaded the performance tune and still an issue. I reset the battery, I checked cable connections, still bad… I bummed lol. To Ford it is.

cc0513b0-36b9-4abc-a153-510eaea1ba73-png.png

a765ce73-2abc-4c56-8a57-f6f5b2088633-jpeg.jpg

2c063695-2814-48c8-ad7c-970751032f06-jpeg.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Alrighty yall, I bit the bullet and purchased a Ford Performance tune for my 2.3 Ecoboost Bronco. I didn't purchase the tune for extra power or faster lap times... my track days are over and I send my weekends hitting the trails in Norcal from Deer Valley, to snow wheeling, to the Rubicon. I was drawn to the Ford Performance tune for its Carb legality (I have a 21 so its smog legal here). I'm looking mainly to change my transmission map and calibrations to assist in running 37's as well as the engine tuning to hopefully add some low end power to the power curve. As much as I love my 2.3 motor, I feel that it lacks in low end torque when hitting the rocks on trails. This can result in me adding more and more throttle before the turbo lag goes away, i'm hit with a burst of power and then I surge over the rock at a speed higher then desired. I'm much more used to the N/A motor on my previous jeep, letting me be super modular on the throttle vs this turbo. My hope is that the tune will add some more low end torque to overcome that issue. Its not a huge deal, but I notice it and want to help it.

Holeshot Tuning in Rancho Cordova is helping me with dyno runs before and after as well to see the true power gains. Things to note: I run 35's currently on Sasquatch 4 Dr 2.3 automatic. I have a muffler delete as well.

We wrapped up 3 pulls on the dyno in stock power. Bronco pulled 237 hp at the wheels at 5,000 RPM's and 291 ft lbs tq at 3360 RPM's. This was run with 91 Octane which I have used the entire time I have had my Bronco.

Unfortunately, when I attempted to load my tune from Ford Performance unto the ProCal device as per the instructions from Ford, the website kept telling me that my voucher code was already in use... keep in mind that I had never messed with the device before and it was brand new from a Ford Authorized dealer. (Lethal Performance). After an hour of attempting to diagnose, it was determined that Ford had either given this voucher number out before to access the tune or it was an invalid number. I will have to contact Ford Performance again next week to get a new code. Fingers crossed it works, my friend happened to do the same tune on his 2.7 Bronco today as well and his tech had a similar issue and it resulted in a day of calls with FP before they gave him a new voucher code which worked... Ill attach some photos later of the results from the stock dyno... I'm hoping next week I can attach the dyno results after the tune. Along with my thoughts from an on road and off-road perspective. I'm a trail junky and have no qualms about beating my Bronco on the rocks so it will get a full and honest review.

Stay tuned!!!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In for the numbers! I have to work on keeping out of the throttle on the rocks. The 2.3 likes to go no no no then boost and launch.
Exactly what I’m seeing! Glad its not just me being weird with the throttle lol. I’ll post up the results as soon as I have them

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Alrighty yall, I bit the bullet and purchased a Ford Performance tune for my 2.3 Ecoboost Bronco. I didn't purchase the tune for extra power or faster lap times... my track days are over and I send my weekends hitting the trails in Norcal from Deer Valley, to snow wheeling, to the Rubicon. I was drawn to the Ford Performance tune for its Carb legality (I have a 21 so its smog legal here). I'm looking mainly to change my transmission map and calibrations to assist in running 37's as well as the engine tuning to hopefully add some low end power to the power curve. As much as I love my 2.3 motor, I feel that it lacks in low end torque when hitting the rocks on trails. This can result in me adding more and more throttle before the turbo lag goes away, i'm hit with a burst of power and then I surge over the rock at a speed higher then desired. I'm much more used to the N/A motor on my previous jeep, letting me be super modular on the throttle vs this turbo. My hope is that the tune will add some more low end torque to overcome that issue. Its not a huge deal, but I notice it and want to help it.

Holeshot Tuning in Rancho Cordova is helping me with dyno runs before and after as well to see the true power gains. Things to note: I run 35's currently on Sasquatch 4 Dr 2.3 automatic. I have a muffler delete as well.

We wrapped up 3 pulls on the dyno in stock power. Bronco pulled 237 hp at the wheels at 5,000 RPM's and 291 ft lbs tq at 3360 RPM's. This was run with 91 Octane which I have used the entire time I have had my Bronco.

Unfortunately, when I attempted to load my tune from Ford Performance unto the ProCal device as per the instructions from Ford, the website kept telling me that my voucher code was already in use... keep in mind that I had never messed with the device before and it was brand new from a Ford Authorized dealer. (Lethal Performance). After an hour of attempting to diagnose, it was determined that Ford had either given this voucher number out before to access the tune or it was an invalid number. I will have to contact Ford Performance again next week to get a new code. Fingers crossed it works, my friend happened to do the same tune on his 2.7 Bronco today as well and his tech had a similar issue and it resulted in a day of calls with FP before they gave him a new voucher code which worked... Ill attach some photos later of the results from the stock dyno... I'm hoping next week I can attach the dyno results after the tune. Along with my thoughts from an on road and off-road perspective. I'm a trail junky and have no qualms about beating my Bronco on the rocks so it will get a full and honest review.

Stay tuned!!!
Excited to see the numbers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alrighty, so its Monday and Ford Performance is open so I called in to request a new Voucher Code to activate my tune. A real person answered right away which was nice. After explaining the issue he seemed bored and not to care that much and promptly listed off 4 things to send him via email and then hung up. I appreciate the getting to the point but his customer service skills were very much lacking. Anyway, he asked for the vin, voucher code, proof of purchase and a photo of the app telling me my voucher code was already in use. I sent everything over to him and he promptly responded and told me (quite literally), that I was just "Fat Fingering" my email. He also told me that the pictures I sent over didnt include my entire screen of the computer and he needed a photo of my entire computer screen. (I had only taken pictures of the app and not for example my random desktop icons or the taskbar...) I thought that was a little weird and since I know I hadn't "fat fingered" my email, I was a little put off... I sent him entire photos of everything again including my entire screen with all my random video game icons lol. I also sent me a lengthy video of me typing in my email correctly and getting the same error, I also included my Ford Performance account info with my email displayed under my account as being the same one for good measure. I'm hoping I can get the Voucher Code from Ford Performance soon so I can dyno this sucker... In the meantime, I hit some snow and mud trails and had fun with that.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alrighty, so its Monday and Ford Performance is open so I called in to request a new Voucher Code to activate my tune. A real person answered right away which was nice. After explaining the issue he seemed bored and not to care that much and promptly listed off 4 things to send him via email and then hung up. I appreciate the getting to the point but his customer service skills were very much lacking. Anyway, he asked for the vin, voucher code, proof of purchase and a photo of the app telling me my voucher code was already in use. I sent everything over to him and he promptly responded and told me (quite literally), that I was just "Fat Fingering" my email. He also told me that the pictures I sent over didnt include my entire screen of the computer and he needed a photo of my entire computer screen. (I had only taken pictures of the app and not for example my random desktop icons or the taskbar...) I thought that was a little weird and since I know I hadn't "fat fingered" my email, I was a little put off... I sent him entire photos of everything again including my entire screen with all my random video game icons lol. I also sent me a lengthy video of me typing in my email correctly and getting the same error, I also included my Ford Performance account info with my email displayed under my account as being the same one for good measure. I'm hoping I can get the Voucher Code from Ford Performance soon so I can dyno this sucker... In the meantime, I hit some snow and mud trails and had fun with that.
Ford Bronco Ford Performance Tune installed on 2.3 Bronco (before and after dyno numbers!) 5326E10E-120E-4834-B872-E3875DF873C9

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alrighty, it’s been a loooong day. Good news is that I got the tune installed! The limiter was not cooperating so the graph may be a little weird. Basically my tuner had to work around the limiter to get the numbers. We found that the max HP was obtained using 6th gear and max Torque using 7th gear. Max numbers were 257 WHP and 307 ft lbs of torque at the wheel. This is compared to 237/291 stock. It should be noted I have muffler delete and run 91 Oct. Factoring in the generic 15% power drivetrain power loss, the numbers fall far below what Ford claims at 330 hp/385 tq at the crank. This could be in part due to the 35’s though and lack of 93 Oct… who knows?

i will say however, the whole power band changed and much more power comes on way sooner which is honestly a game changer. The transmission also shifts way snappier and feels like a DCT now. So while the numbers are slacking on the top end. The fact I have access to way more power lower in the range is exactly what I need off-road.
Now for the bad… 8 miles after getting the tune installed I got a service 4x4 light and the following codes pictured… to be fair I’m not sure if it’s the tune causing the issue as I recently went mudding and had spent that entire morning today pressure washing under my Bronco… I’m hoping it’s simple like a wheel speed sensor. In order to rule out the tune I attempted to reload the stock tune but it’s giving me an ECU read error. Not sure if this is because my PCM is throwing a code right now or if there is an issue with my stock tune file… either way I’m bummed. I reloaded the performance tune and still an issue. I reset the battery, I checked cable connections, still bad… I bummed lol. To Ford it is.

CC0513B0-36B9-4ABC-A153-510EAEA1BA73.png

A765CE73-2ABC-4C56-8A57-F6F5B2088633.jpeg

2C063695-2814-48C8-AD7C-970751032F06.jpeg

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Tune installed on 2.3 Bronco (before and after dyno numbers!) 2C063695-2814-48C8-AD7C-970751032F06

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Tune installed on 2.3 Bronco (before and after dyno numbers!) 2C063695-2814-48C8-AD7C-970751032F06

In no way am I hating but I wanted to pass on some info. People say the 2.3 is held back by the intake. In this Video the guy made over 20hp off the intake. Look at about 11:30 on the Video you can see his chart and compare it to yours. Now to be clear I'm the guy that says just adding a better filter in your stock will do the same thing but a few are saying I'm wrong on the 2.3 just something to think about a simple filter or cold air intake maybe worth some nice HP gains on your setup with the tune. I say just a better filter but some say you need the full intake. I pointed out on the F150 just a filter is needed no gains off full intake but the claim in just a filter can't give you 20+hp and they could be right on this one I would say regardless a better filter or cold air intake would really help you dyno #s. Nice job and great info thanks

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In no way am I hating but I wanted to pass on some info. People say the 2.3 is held back by the intake. In this Video the guy made over 20hp off the intake. Look at about 11:30 on the Video you can see his chart and compare it to yours. Now to be clear I'm the guy that says just adding a better filter in your stock will do the same thing but a few are saying I'm wrong on the 2.3 just something to think about a simple filter or cold air intake maybe worth some nice HP gains on your setup with the tune. I say just a better filter but some say you need the full intake. I pointed out on the F150 just a filter is needed no gains off full intake but the claim in just a filter can't give you 20+hp and they could be right on this one I would say regardless a better filter or cold air intake would really help you dyno #s. Nice job and great info thanks

I love it! I’ll look into that for sure. I was more interested in the remapping vs the power gains but I’m always down for cool mods! Thanks for sharing that!

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OMG I FIXED IT!!! So apparently the tune was set up with the wrong tire size setting. I went into ProCal and selected “change tire size, ratio). I followed the prompts and BOOM. Check engine light is gone! All is well and the tune is awesome

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love it! I’ll look into that for sure. I was more interested in the remapping vs the power gains but I’m always down for cool mods! Thanks for sharing that!
If its possible run a test on just a filter. You could save others a ton of money if you do a test on just filter vs cold air and see no gain. Besides it will look cooler
Sponsored