Sponsored

Has any installed the Ford Performance tune for 2.3L?

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wanted to know if anyone is running the $850 Ford Performance tune on their 2.3 L or the 2.7L.. I have a 2.3L that is struggling to run in the 9 or 10 th.. I have yet to figure out if the transmission is problem, but system wants to run at about 1300rpm in either 8, 9, or 10 depending on overall speed.. At the 1300 rpm it’s also driving a 3.73 rear gear and just doesn’t seem to have the torque.. The engine, steering wheel start to hum..
thank you
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting. Honestly I've found the stock 2.3L to have plenty of power and torque, but I also have the 4.27 gearing with the e-locker. I seriously doubt you have a transmission problem. I've heard good things about the tune as long as you don't mind running high-octane gas all the time. Also, shop around as I've seen them going in the $700 range at many places.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tune won’t help at that low of an RPM. 8/9/10 with 3.73 gears is going to be very tough to overcome. It’s essentially over-overdrive.

You should sooner lockout gears than tune it. Or manually downshift as needed. Giving her gas at 1300rpm is just asking for lugging and LSPI. The hum is most likely that, you are asking too much of the engine causing a bit of lugging. The timing is then pulling to avoid knock/LSPI - making it feel even lower on power.

The primary function of the tune is running 91/93 octane, advanced timing, bringing in the boost, throttle and fuel maps earlier to give you more oomph on acceleration within the 2800-4500rpm powerband.

The turbo may be a Twinscroll, but it won’t provide any meaningful psi/airflow below 2000rpm. And being a small displacement I4, we don’t have enough volume to produce big power as a NA (because the turbo hasn’t kicked in yet)

There’s more to it than that, but a tune won’t help for this singular instance. I agree with @mC.242 its most likely not a transmission problem.

Last edited:

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What tire/wheel setup are you running? I found the stock BB setup to be fine in Normal mode. Put 37’s on it and found that running in Sport mode where it locks out 9 & 10 was the best performance for that setup.

Installed the Ford Performance tune for 2.3L and it made it even better in Sport mode. It’s got a lot of pep and is a blast to drive!

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the tune in my 2.3L Badlands SAS. It really woke this engine up. I don't struggle maintaining any speeds.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll install it to do the FAD delete and change gears, not necessarily for engine performance.

TheMadTrench

Badlands
First Name
Trench
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have about 1500 miles on my non SAS Badlands with the 7MT and the 4.7 gears along with pedal commander and Whipple filter with exhaust. Worth the automatic downshift rev matching alone but man she rips. Well well worth the tune. Always running 93 octane.

I loves the pulls from 3rd and 4th and the sound of the turbo smart blowoff valves adds to the orchestra of wonderful noises. 5th is now a nice 50 mph “do-all” cruising gear. 6th now much more accessible.
Also just really cool that it’s a Ford Performance product. From what understand, much more gain on the 2.3 than the 2.7. Also not sure how and how long it takes for the 10 auto to “learn.”

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
We've got tons of customers running the Ford Performance cals on their 2.3L's. Here's a thread that was made for our customers and members of the forum to post their reviews.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rd-performance-calibration-tune-review.56576/

Also make sure to checkout Krista Pickens (Buckle Up ButterCup) review she did for us on Youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8e2ma5bmcg

Lastly we offer the Ford Performance device and calibration here at Lethal Performance for $695.00 shipped. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need assistance placing an order.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...ry-tool-2021-2022-bronco-2-3l-m-9603-b23.html
m-12655-f_3.jpg

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've got tons of customers running the Ford Performance cals on their 2.3L's. Here's a thread that was made for our customers and members of the forum to post their reviews.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rd-performance-calibration-tune-review.56576/

Also make sure to checkout Krista Pickens (Buckle Up ButterCup) review she did for us on Youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8e2ma5bmcg

Lastly we offer the Ford Performance device and calibration here at Lethal Performance for $695.00 shipped. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need assistance placing an order.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...ry-tool-2021-2022-bronco-2-3l-m-9603-b23.html
Ford Bronco Has any installed the Ford Performance tune for 2.3L? m-12655-f_3
I hear the tune's self learning and adjusts to mods, adds the power the mods would provide

is that true or not?

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I hear the tune's self learning and adjusts to mods, adds the power the mods would provide

is that true or not?
The Bronco like other newer Ford vehicle do adapt to things like higher air flow and octane based on knock sensors, MAP sensors and A/F ratios. As far other mods like intakes, charge pipes and exhausts that don't require a tune they will work in conjunction with the calibration.

Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco like other newer Ford vehicle do adapt to things like higher air flow and octane based on knock sensors, MAP sensors and A/F ratios. As far other mods like intakes, charge pipes and exhausts that don't require a tune they will work in conjunction with the calibration.
Gotcha

Also, hear from SPD Performance about their 2.3 Downpipe development? I think I've annoyed them too much about it myself

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gotcha

Also, hear from SPD Performance about their 2.3 Downpipe development? I think I've annoyed them too much about it myself
Hey Lethal you guys feel like tinkering? Try a down pipe from a ranger to try it on the Bronco. Ford part #’s are the same, I’m waiting for someone to be a Guinea pig for this.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Lethal you guys feel like tinkering? Try a down pipe from a ranger to try it on the Bronco. Ford part #’s are the same, I’m waiting for someone to be a Guinea pig for this.
yeah, let us know, Im tired of them making excuses while modding every other engine and vehicle
Sponsored