Sponsored

Ford's Performance ProCal Tune for the 2.3L (Experience and thoughts??)

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm about to take my Bronco in to get the manual transmission issues fixed and wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the Ford tune. I guess last I checked it was $825 and gave a bump to 330Hp and 385TQ if memory serves me well. I guess it also does a few other things too. That to me seems like a decent price for that kind of extra power, covered by factory warranty as well. I have the manual (as mentioned before), can anyone comment on whether they would do it again, how they liked or disliked it, issues, benefits? Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had my tune since last year and it's been amazing. You'll love the automatic rev matching. There is a definite difference between stock and tuned power wise, as I found out when I was messing with the tire size function and it reverted to stock because I didn't finish the routine properly. You'll have to get 91 octane, but that wasn't an issue to me as I always ran 91 anyway to get the full performance of the 2.3 stock. Fuel mileage has been just fine with it, if not a slight increase, but that could be due to a number of other factors as well.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wrote a review on the Bronco Nation store because a lot of people were asking me about it on that forum. So rather than rewriting that review, I'll copy/paste.

I primarily bought this tune not for performance, but for the down-shift rev-matching feature available for manual transmission owners. It works as advertised and you can toggle on/off the feature without having to connect the ProCal device to your Bronco. Very cool, very happy with it.​
The ProCal itself has some monitoring/logging features, but none of them are particularly game-changing or well-featured. I suspect most people won't really get any use out of it. But, you can also use the ProCal is change your axle ratio and tire size using the ProCal, awesome for future upgrades, and allows you to avoid having to learn Forscan or visiting your dealer.​
In terms of performance of the tune itself, there is definitely a noticeable difference—feels like you are in Sport mode 24/7. Do I feel like the tune itself is worth $700+?? For manual transmission owners, no I don't, I would just use Sport mode. For automatic transmission owners though, I suspect it would definitely be worth it since it'll improve the behavior of the transmission and give the Bronco an overall more "spunky" feel.​
The only big downside is in order to retain the included 3-year warranty is it has to be installed by an ASE certified tech or your dealer. Most dealers/techs seems to be charging 2 hours of labor for the job even though the task is extremely simple and takes literally 15 minutes to do if you were to do it yourself. Other than that, no complaints.​

---

Also be sure to shop around. There are MANY places where you can buy it for cheaper than $825. The BN store has a 10% discount for members, @LethalPerformance sells it for less than MSRP (and may even have a Bronco6g forum discount code), etc. etc.

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another thing to keep in mind is future warranty work in that 3yr/36k mile period is that it's now handled by Ford Performance, not Ford. Also, read the verbiage on Ford Performance's warranty. It does not mention anything about retaining the 5yr/60k mile powertrain, let alone any extended warranty (if you bought one). One one would hope the 5yr/60k warranty would remain in tact through Ford, but according to Fords warranty verbiage, they consider Ford Performance parts as aftermarket and may be grounds for voiding it as well. Something worth asking your dealer about.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wrote a review on the Bronco Nation store because a lot of people were asking me about it on that forum. So rather than rewriting that review, I'll copy/paste.

I primarily bought this tune not for performance, but for the down-shift rev-matching feature available for manual transmission owners. It works as advertised and you can toggle on/off the feature without having to connect the ProCal device to your Bronco. Very cool, very happy with it.​
The ProCal itself has some monitoring/logging features, but none of them are particularly game-changing or well-featured. I suspect most people won't really get any use out of it. But, you can also use the ProCal is change your axle ratio and tire size using the ProCal, awesome for future upgrades, and allows you to avoid having to learn Forscan or visiting your dealer.​
In terms of performance of the tune itself, there is definitely a noticeable difference—feels like you are in Sport mode 24/7. Do I feel like the tune itself is worth $700+?? For manual transmission owners, no I don't, I would just use Sport mode. For automatic transmission owners though, I suspect it would definitely be worth it since it'll improve the behavior of the transmission and give the Bronco an overall more "spunky" feel.​
The only big downside is in order to retain the included 3-year warranty is it has to be installed by an ASE certified tech or your dealer. Most dealers/techs seems to be charging 2 hours of labor for the job even though the task is extremely simple and takes literally 15 minutes to do if you were to do it yourself. Other than that, no complaints.​

---

Also be sure to shop around. There are MANY places where you can buy it for cheaper than $825. The BN store has a 10% discount for members, @LethalPerformance sells it for less than MSRP (and may even have a Bronco6g forum discount code), etc. etc.
Don't forget the excellent advice you gave to register it yourself on your own account before taking it in (just give them the username and password and change the password afterwards).

I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow AM to have my tune installed by my dealer's service department. I got it at @LethalPerformance, who were great, for quite a bit less than $825 (July 4th sale). Yeah, it's highway robbery to charge 2 hours ($350) service time for an at most 30 minute job, but I want to keep the warranty in effect as best I can.

Sponsored

WoolyBugger

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline / 2dr. Base 7 spd. EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ive had the FPT for three months now (I think) on my 2.3 7MT. Rev Match is awesome and the extra power is fun. Worth the money and I would have to do it again if I bought a new Bronco for some reason. You will probably enjoy it.

Mike T

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had it for a couple of months now and love it. Another benefit with it is you can set the Auto start/stop to your preference and not have to Forscan it or buy an eliminator just turn the switch on or off and it stays the way you set it. Mileage has stayed the same and I have run 89 to 91 octane as it will adjust to what you are running. I bought some octane boost and added it to a couple tanks to bring it to 93 and did not notice a power difference and mileage actually dropped. Yes I would purchase again.

Angertheloner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Coming from a Badlands 7MT, it’s well worth it. If you haven’t used your Ford points and you purchased new from a dealer, you can use those to get the ProCal tuner. It was the first thing I bought and knocked the price down a couple hundred bucks.

Regarding the review about driving a manual in Sport mode all the time, research would tell you that not every manual comes with sport mode.

Compare the ProCal to a power commander or Banks monster pedal (each about $300 retail), and I think it’s totally worth it for a “set it and forget it” and without voiding any warranty. Plus you can combine it with one of those to boost throttle response more.

One more thing. The tuner gets you to max hp at a lower rpm.

marktwain2001

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you can find a tune that emulates sports mode all the time buy that. The ford tune will not do this

Nikolase

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 1990 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Black Diamond Sasquatch 10sp. The Ford tune is great. Very noticable difference in power and throttle input. Less lag. Feels like it should have just come this way from the dealer, but I'm glad it's available.

The start / stop switch memory is great too. I don't see any downside.

The biggest improvement for me is the shifting of the auto. Before the tune "normal" mode felt pretty anemic. I liked the throttle response of sport mode, but it revved up to high at cruising speed and around town felt high strung.

After the tune normal mode is perfect.

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Another thing to keep in mind is future warranty work in that 3yr/36k mile period is that it's now handled by Ford Performance, not Ford. Also, read the verbiage on Ford Performance's warranty. It does not mention anything about retaining the 5yr/60k mile powertrain, let alone any extended warranty (if you bought one). One one would hope the 5yr/60k warranty would remain in tact through Ford, but according to Fords warranty verbiage, they consider Ford Performance parts as aftermarket and may be grounds for voiding it as well. Something worth asking your dealer about.
I'm curious about extended warranty as well........

Bob

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Coming from a Badlands 7MT, it’s well worth it. If you haven’t used your Ford points and you purchased new from a dealer, you can use those to get the ProCal tuner. It was the first thing I bought and knocked the price down a couple hundred bucks.

Regarding the review about driving a manual in Sport mode all the time, research would tell you that not every manual comes with sport mode.

Compare the ProCal to a power commander or Banks monster pedal (each about $300 retail), and I think it’s totally worth it for a “set it and forget it” and without voiding any warranty. Plus you can combine it with one of those to boost throttle response more.

One more thing. The tuner gets you to max hp at a lower rpm.
I have a base 7sp manual and it comes with sport mode. Not sure which models do not have a sport mode.

OP
OP
FloridaBurgBronco

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands and it does not have a Sport Mode.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m consistently getting 2 MPG less since the tune. I kept reading people getting better mileage. Down to averaging 16 instead of 18. I’m not driving it any harder.

7MT
S&B Dry Air Filter
NGK Step Colder Plugs
Sprint Booster - Sport 8
Magnaflow Overland Catback
Sponsored