Sponsored

Ford, PLEASE let us buy parts direct, sick of (some) greedy dealerships.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, another prime example of why the third-party dealership model is broken and we should be able to buy vehicles and parts directly from Ford.

So, I broke my driver's side CV this weekend wheeling. I'm on 37's with a Eibach Coil-over lift. I think I hurt it on a super hard trail where I had to bump it over several ledges, finished it off on a super steep downhill where I was wedged against a tree with my rock rail and had to try and reverse under load. Broke off right at the wheel bearing but the stub in that end had enough to keep the wheel bearing pre-loaded, left the stub shaft in the diff side. I was able to drive home almost 3 hours (with no ABS, traction control, or cruise).

Anyway, got home and was looking at replacement parts on Tuesday. Warranty was almost immediately denied by the dealership I use (didn't really push it at all, I understand). Talking to them, they wanted $465 for the cv and the diff seal (which they suggested replacing as well). SO, knowing MSRP on the CV is $406 (Flip posted a screen shot of it last week on another thread), I asked if they could help me out on that price a little, this is how that conversation went:

Me: "Hey, I know MSRP on that CV is like $400, any way you could help me out on that a little?"
Parts guy: "No, we don't normally do anything like that."
Me: "It's an over-the-counter part, not sure why you'd charge me full retail. There are websites where I can order that part for like $280."
Parts guy: "Well that's what you should probably do then."
Me: "Really??? Ya, I'm not asking you to match that price, just asking for a little break given you're not having to do anything with the part but order it. Seems like you could meet me somewhere in the middle."
Part guy: "We're not getting labor on this either. The price is the price."

I ended up ordering it online for $280, $310 shipped. I'm guessing the cost for the dealer on that part is somewhere around $200. MSRP on the Ford Performance M210 CV Set (Part: M-3429-BR) is $495 and that is BOTH sides and they're painted.

I just don't understand why a dealership wouldn't work with a customer who spent $65k on a vehicle from them. I'm not an entitled person AT ALL but damn, NOTHING, they're out here trying to make $200 for a couple of mouse-clicks? I would have been happy with a 10% discount, didn't expect them to price match a whole-sale price at all. The other thing was the disrespect, guy couldn't be bothered to even have a full conversation, basically told me to F-Off without saying it...

My sales guy was awesome, I bothered the SHIT out of him waiting on my Bronco for so long. I told him I'd definitely do business with him again but wouldn't be using the dealership for service moving forward.

Ford Bronco Ford, PLEASE let us buy parts direct, sick of (some) greedy dealerships. 1685637685155
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure how this shows the dealership model is broken. This is exactly how most businesses work. Dealerships try to make money off things they sell just like any other place. If they sold everything at cost or discounted, you’d have no dealership to begin with 🤷‍♂️

Indarkness

Wildtrak
First Name
First second
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Must have been my local ford dealer. They sell parts, some, not all above MSRP??? There is a dealer 4 miles away that will work on the parts price with me or I just order online. The more I deal with the dealerships the less I want anything to do with actually purchasing anything.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not sure how this shows the dealership model is broken. This is exactly how most businesses work. Dealerships try to make money off things they sell just like any other place. If they sold everything at cost or discounted, you’d have no dealership to begin with 🤷‍♂️
Honestly, this dealership sounds like they were coming out of pocket for the labor, which would likely cost as much as the part. I don't see a problem here, because they helped out OP on that side, if not the part side.

JR

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, this dealership sounds like they were coming out of pocket for the labor, which would likely cost as much as the part. I don't see a problem here, because they helped out OP on that side, if not the part side.

JR
No, this is for me buying the part from them. They haven't and wouldn't be touching the Bronco. I would be doing the work, all they're doing is selling me a part.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No, this is for me buying the part from them. They haven't and wouldn't be touching the Bronco. I would be doing the work, all they're doing is selling me a part.
Ah, I misunderstood. I read the last line of your conversation to mean they weren't CHARGING you for labor to replace the part.

Still, I can understand getting annoyed if they're marking up the price on a part, which my local dealer did for my door bags, but charging MSRP? That's pretty normal.

JR

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealerships are not owned by Ford. So you want the dealership to sell you a part at their cost and make no money?
Their cost is NOT MSRP. Their cost on the part is probably a lot closer to $200. I bought the part from a different dealership who has an online shop for $280. My whole point is they wouldn't even have a discussion about coming off of MSRP.

The whole problem is they want to make $200 for being a parts middle man, why can't I just order the part from Ford?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I get your point, allot places are like that lately, they either flat out don't care or have so much money/work that they're not concerned if you buy from them or not. Now you know about them and since you're doing the work anyways there's plenty of online Ford parts departments that sell way cheaper that you don't have to waste time trying to buy local.

Sponsored

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Dealerships are not owned by Ford. So you want the dealership to sell you a part at their cost and make no money?
He wasn't asking for the part at cost, just asking for a little off of MSRP.

It would be one thing if they had the part in stock, but once they have to order it from Ford anyway, their competition becomes the whole internet and all the other dealers who are willing to work on pricing.

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think you were driving it outside of its limitations?

Some dealers are very short sighted when it comes down to good customer service. You probably would have turned into one of their best customers if they had given a little in that situation to earn you as a customer.

SSM 51524 Bronco - Off-Roading Warranty Considerations
Ford Bronco vehicles are designed to meet customer demands during off-road adventures. Each series and the available packages introduce a different set of advantages to the off-road experience such as the available Sasquatch package, which includes larger wheel/tires, stronger suspension, stronger steering gear, locking differentials, speedometer calibration and much more to make sure the vehicle performs as expected. How a Bronco is equipped from the factory will directly correlate to its off-road capabilities and limitations. Section 3.1.04 of the Warranty and Policy Manual has been updated to encourage dealers to use the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual with help determining if the customer used the vehicle within the published guidelines. Using the vehicle as described in the Owner’s Manual > Driving Hints/Four-Wheel Drive, does not void the vehicle’s warranty.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model