Sponsored

2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please!

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If its any help to anyone, here is the write-up from the service writer on my engine failure when I got the repaired bronco back. I will also add to my original thread. Should be attached as an image / I only chopped off my personal info at the top.
@flip @j_marinelli

Bronco Service Write Up.jpg
They didn't replace both Turbos?!? WTF. Predict RH turbo failure in your future... There is no way that only the LH turbo was the only one affected by the metal debris. That's some bullshit.
Sponsored

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford's full of crap. I'm probably gonna bail.
Let's say the engine lasts to 10k or even 20k miles !, what good is the warranty going to do me when I'm 200+ miles from home and dealer?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They didn't replace both Turbos?!? WTF. Predict RH turbo failure in your future... There is no way that only the LH turbo was the only one affected by the metal debris. That's some bullshit.
Would it? I mean I'm assuming the oil filter did its job and kept the metal shavings from going back into circulation.

It doesn't even mention replacing oil coolers or anything.

Now of course it's possible that it's just bad follow-through, but I would hope that they would disconnect oil lines to see if any traces of metal were found and replaced those components. So maybe Only metal shavings were found in the one turbo.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My understanding is that the turbos on the 2.7 are mounted to the heads, there wouldn't be cross contamination from one side to the other in this arrangement other than the oil or intake side.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because exhaust goes from cylinders to exhaust manifold to turbine to exhaust piping therefore if shrapnel occurs due to catastrophic failure in the cylinder - some of it is likely to make it through some of that exhaust system, not just fall into the crank case oil.
I didn't think the exhaust manifold were connected, now I could see issues downside like catalytic converters.

Now I'm not disagreeing. I would want the entire engine, turbos, oil cooler, just about everything else replace.

I'm just saying, I could see where someone could inspect and not find oil shavings on the other side of the engine.

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn't think the exhaust manifold were connected, now I could see issues downside like catalytic converters.

Now I'm not disagreeing. I would want the entire engine, turbos, oil cooler, just about everything else replace.

I'm just saying, I could see where someone could inspect and not find oil shavings on the other side of the engine.
I deleted my comment cause I had a pre-coffee slow moment, lol. Being a v6 only the turbo on the affected cylinder side would likely be affected anyways - as long as contamination didn't make it through the oil. If so I would certainly want all that replace anyways to be safe.

ToddGinGA

First Edition
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here are the details on my Failed 2.7 from Dec. 5th. Here is an update on the replacement:
- Dec. 15th replacement engine received by dealership
- Dec. 20th required Gaskets and bolts on backorder so replacement installation on hold
- Jan.10th still waiting on 4 bolts on backorder to proceed with the engine replacement
UPDATE: Jan. 28th. Engine replacement completed by Ford of Clermont, FL

User: TODDGINGA
Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA
Engine Julian Date: 21224
Engine Sequence Number: 120196
Mileage of failed motor: 1358

UPDATED (02/02/22)
Cause of failure: diagnosed as internal damage, Confirmed: Cylinder 5 Intake valve broke
Replacement Part Number: MB3E-6006-AA
New Engine Julian Date: 21274
New Engine Sequence Number: 130883
Here is the Service order write up:
Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 11.29.52 AM

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would it? I mean I'm assuming the oil filter did its job and kept the metal shavings from going back into circulation.
Do you know how little metal it takes to cause problems with standard turbo bearings? Unless these are ball bearing turbos, in which case, I would be less concerned.

I did misread the initial report which referred to metal debris found in the turbocharger itself as opposed to the turbo oil lines.

Still the debris caught by the oil filter would have me very concerned about potential contamination of the oil and thus the turbo bearings. Hopefully they flushed the entire oil system.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you know how little metal it takes to cause problems with standard turbo bearings? Unless these are ball bearing turbos, in which case, I would be less concerned.

I did misread the initial report which referred to metal debris found in the turbocharger itself as opposed to the turbo oil lines.

Still the debris caught by the oil filter would have me very concerned about potential contamination of the oil and thus the turbo bearings. Hopefully they flushed the entire oil system.
I agree But if an oil filter can't filter out metal chunks/pieces, That's a pretty sucky ass oil filter. I mean really .... it has 1 Job ;)

My pool filter takes out algae...i would hope an oil filter would catch even the smallest piece of metal. Of course the bigger chuncks won't ever make it past the oil pump screen.

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not a Ford fanboy and this is only the 2nd Ford I've ever owned. This is definitely a real problem and total bullshit to even have to worry about it on a new vehicle. That said, there are literally tens of thousands of these on the road now. 2.7 is by far the more popular engine choice.
I have the 2.7 in my f150 and have ABUSED it and had no issues yet. Currently at 125k. However, I wonder why Ford redesigned the 2.7 for the Bronco??🤔

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mileage doesn't guarantee anything, the build date is more important. With a 21313 motor, you aren't in the danger zone. My 21180 on the other hand is... but still not predictable at all.
Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! IMG_20220413_151749

Over 13k miles, but don't know whether or not to trust it.

brentallan4421

Outer Banks
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

21218 here with 8K on the clock. Hoping for the best, keeping a close eye on things. Good luck everyone I love the ride especially with good weather coming.

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Snowdogyyz maybe we can get more updated information here?

The other tracker thread has been slowed down, no updates since earlier this month. Anyone have any updates from the last month?

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@Snowdogyyz maybe we can get more updated information here?

The other tracker thread has been slowed down, no updates since earlier this month. Anyone have any updates from the last month?
One update, I have passed 34,000 miles, so I suspect that I am in the clear...
Sponsored