First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2023 Bronco Wildtrak. I have owned 12 months this month with 12k miles. 2 hours from home on an 8 hour trip to see family for Christmas when a knocking noise starts but no feedback in steering wheel. Immediately pulled over and engine died. Cluster lit up like a Christmas tree (bad pun). Everything appeared ok under the truck and hood. Tried to start but it sounded horrible so I stopped. I did notice a puddle of oil under the truck when the tow truck driver arrived. I was fortunate to be about an hour from my daughter so we borrowed a car that I gave her for college and pushed on.
The truck will not get attention until after Christmas but I think I am looking at a new engine. I waited 2 years, drive it for 1 year. Sad but counting my blessings. I hope that everyone else has much better Christmas.
Sponsored

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's crazy, sorry to hear about the situation. I thought @fordmotorcompany worked out the wrinkles on the 2.7L's detonating? I guess I thought wrong.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's crazy, sorry to hear about the situation. I thought @fordmotorcompany worked out the wrinkles on the 2.7L's detonating? I guess I thought wrong.
Being there are 10s of thousands of 2.7s out there in all types of vehicles with no issues the op seems to just have bad luck.

OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Being there are 10s of thousands of 2.7s out there in all types of vehicles with no issues the op seems to just have bad luck.
I hope that it is just bad luck I do not want others to have the same experience. I am also looking forward to getting it repaired. I will update what the issue is once I know.

cbrownabq

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sweet, I have a ‘23 2.7 that JUST hit 12k…🙄

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Let us know what you find. The only "known" issue was the valves way back in 2021 but that had been address.

There is nothing trending currently that would mechanically implode a 2.7.

Ozbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4 door, 2.7 litre, cactus grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a MY23 2.7 and I'm at 16.5k so 12k isn't magical for everyone.
I also have a MY23 2.7 with over 20k. I have an occasional check engine light which Ford Pass describes as "a concern with the catalytic converter". The warning then goes away. This has happened a couple of times. The dealer service cannot diagnose it because it clears by the time my service appointment comes up. May just have to demand they check it immediately if it occurs again. Other than that, all is well.

jjsgroi

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was a Ford dealership tech( mechanic) for over forty years own a 22 bronco 2.7 it has to be the noises engine I have ever driven

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2021 2.7 that was manufactured during the known trouble period. It now has 18,000+ miles and has shown no troubles. As I understand, the engine issue manifests itself early in its operating span, so I feel fortunate. As protection, I do have an 8 year/100,000 mi extended warranty in place.

MJ12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Charger 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What a shame... lets us know what they find.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oil drain plug fell out maybe? Gotta twist hard till the click…some aftermarket plugs use a spring washer to establish sealing tension with concerns over vibrating loose/out. 🤷‍♂️

AZBronc24

Heritage
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram, 2010 Camaro,
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
2023 Bronco Wildtrak. I have owned 12 months this month with 12k miles. 2 hours from home on an 8 hour trip to see family for Christmas when a knocking noise starts but no feedback in steering wheel. Immediately pulled over and engine died. Cluster lit up like a Christmas tree (bad pun). Everything appeared ok under the truck and hood. Tried to start but it sounded horrible so I stopped. I did notice a puddle of oil under the truck when the tow truck driver arrived. I was fortunate to be about an hour from my daughter so we borrowed a car that I gave her for college and pushed on.
The truck will not get attention until after Christmas but I think I am looking at a new engine. I waited 2 years, drive it for 1 year. Sad but counting my blessings. I hope that everyone else has much better Christmas.
Just curious, when did you do the first oil change? What filter currently, oil brand and type? Hope for the best on your situation.

TailChaser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Or oil filter had a leak/piece of debris allowing it to drip. Wrecked an atv engine once from that. Also had an oil change shop that’s all they do didn’t tighten something good but I noticed it soon enough. If you saw a puddle it prolly ran out of oil. That’s prolly bad news since they may deny warranty.

although it could be a rear main seal went out, or oil cooler seal maybe, not sure of the design details, and hope I never have to. So it Could be other things.
Sponsored

Last edited: