First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What document and revision date is that?

My 2021 Bronco owners manual says something different, but it’s the PDF copy, page 182, Edition Date: 202101, First-Printing.

81A61058-6089-4AF7-B9B7-B51FCC85E348.jpeg
Think about it, with the manual only being a downloaded copy in the truck, Ford can change it with an update and then deny a warranty claim for us not following the manual. Even if we are doing what it said yesterday.
Sponsored

najay

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boss 302, focus st, gen1 lightning, f250 7.3l 4wd
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was so close to creating an account to just to tell him how hard he sucks on his youtube channel but decided against it. I hope he is on this forum somewhere.
I don't think he is ... he has said he does not think very highly of us over here ...

najay

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boss 302, focus st, gen1 lightning, f250 7.3l 4wd
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

THIS is very useful information. It explains why I should not drive my F250 in 4H on pavement, and that the Bronco 4A is tuned for off road but can be used on pavement _sometimes_, at the cost of wear on the transfer case.

Sponsored

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay so for those who don't know how this all works...

ESOF Transfer Case

aka: Electronic shift on-the-fly, 4x4 with Part-Time Selectable Engagement

This is the traditional part-time 4x4 transfer case. In 4x4 modes, the gearing in combination with the front-axle disconnect attaches the front driveshafts to the transfer case. You should DEFINITELY not drive 4x4 on the pavement with this transfer case unless the conditions on the road are extremely slick.

EMTC Transfer Case

aka: Electro-Mechanical Transfer Case, Advanced 4x4

This uses a clutch pack similar to most all-wheel drive vehicles to dynamically control power to the front driveshafts in 4-Auto mode. That clutch pack is electronically controlled. In theory, the computer will not send power to the front axle unless the vehicle detects wheel slip.

The problem is, particularly on dry pavement with off-road tires... sometimes a little wheel slip is just fine and preferred to having the clutch pack slip. If you drive in 4-Auto day-in and day-out you will wear out that clutch pack over time. Especially since Ford tuned the electronics in 4-Auto mode to be for off-road driving and not everyday driving. So in that sense this mechanic is correct, and there truly is no reason to drive in 4-Auto all day long every single day. If you want to be a little sporty on the road one day, sure, go for it. But don't make a habit of it and most of the time you should leave it in 2-High

What you see in this video is what happens to the clutch pack if you put extra wear/tear on it. BUT, that damage would happen over years, and the damage in this video is obviously from the towing, not from driving.
That’s a great post. So most people know, and correct me if I’m wrong. Badlands, Wildtrak and Sas have “Advanced 4x4” and everything else has “Selectable 4x4”

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Isn't this the same guy who was joyriding someone's special order, put a bunch of "accessories" on it and couldn't understand why the customer was outraged that the dealer was marking up their special order vehicle, and then sold it from under them? Pretty sure its the same dude.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, the towing was no doubt a problem if they didn't use a flatbed tow. But he was saying that you should not drive in 4-Auto on dry pavement. He made a big point of saying only use 2H for on road driving but the owners manual says that's fine or at least does provide any warning about 4-Auto. I watched the video completely and replayed several sections to make sure I knew what he was saying and then I checked what he was saying versus what was in the owners manual. I'm sure he's a good mechanic/technician but his statements about using 4-Auto is counter to Fords information.
2H is best for dry pavement in the long run, but no reason can't use 4A on pavement. Just no 4H or 4L on pavement.

BadAss bronco dude

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
superduty.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco has a 'flat tow" mode that will disengage the drivetrain for towing, tow bar or otherwise. If you use the search function on this forum, I believe there are a few videos that show how to do this.
Very cool. Thx

Sponsored

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is, I don’t necessarily fault him for that one though.

He works as a tech in the service department, doesn’t work in sales. Clearly the sales guy he was talking to conveniently left out most of the story so it wouldn’t make him look like an ass.

If I remember right that issue was resolved (eventually).
I get that, but what I don’t get is why he feels the need to put out these videos like his opinions are the final word. I’d be furious if I found out this guy was working on my truck based on what I’ve seen.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a Lincoln mkx that was full time awd. Meaning I couldn't put it in 2H or any 2wd mode for that matter.... Curious to know how 4A would be any different aside from drivetrain orientation. I'm well aware that there isn't necessarily a transfer case but operations should be similar. And for the record, if and when I go to sport mode, I change the transfer case to 2H to avoid unnecessary wear.

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You need to watch the video - tl;dr of story is the Bronco was in 4A mode and was flat towed by a Tow truck. It was notput in flat tow mode. Rich is a great mechanic, but sometimes he has an interesting way of looking at stuff.
If by “interesting” you mean wrong, yep.

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fuk this is embarrassing ,I couldn't stand to watch it all,guy needs to go back to ford technical training center and retake drivetrain.
I would run screaming from the dealership if I saw him heading to my Bronco with a wrench.
Sponsored