Sponsored

@Ford Why is my days-old BD so rusty underneath?

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I picked up my rig yesterday 2/17/24). It has rust on all of the bare metal parts.
I was planning to have rust prevention seal coating done….but looks like I’ll be asking about treating or using rust remover first.

Hopefully the shop guys have a solution or some experience with the issue.
Sponsored

Agua Caliente

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I picked up my rig yesterday 2/17/24). It has rust on all of the bare metal parts.
I was planning to have rust prevention seal coating done….but looks like I’ll be asking about treating or using rust remover first.

Hopefully the shop guys have a solution or some experience with the issue.
As others mentioned the rust-converter products are good option. They chemically convert rust (iron-oxide, red-color) to a black coating (iron-phosphate) which then protects your metal surface from further rusting

Some well known products are SKYBRYTE 1275 OSPHO and Corroseal 82320. First wire-brush to remove as much rust you can. Then spray with the rust-converter. Leave overnight. Surface will turn black with iron-phosphate layer - much more stable than bare metal or rust

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As others mentioned the rust-converter products are good option. They chemically convert rust (iron-oxide, red-color) to a black coating (iron-phosphate) which then protects your metal surface from further rusting

Some well known products are SKYBRYTE 1275 OSPHO and Corroseal 82320. First wire-brush to remove as much rust you can. Then spray with the rust-converter. Leave overnight. Surface will turn black with iron-phosphate layer - much more stable than bare metal or rust
I've used OSPho for decades. Works well but it does remain porous so you will want to zinc primer and paint anything you treat or at least paint

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would imagine you shall be the 1st to hit a 100k...guessing by july.
Any plans to trade in or will you keep on going? Hoping the latter!
I plan on keeping it, once it has deprecated to zero, I will stop babying it. ;)

Johnny Branch

Heritage
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t have one yet
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
It because they are thrown together with cheap parts.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The drive shafts are unpainted, they will rust immediately especially if you live in the rust belt. This isn't a defect and does not affect the parts in anyway, its only surface rust. I looked under my neighbors one year old Nissan Titan and there is plenty of rust -- this is a fact of life living in the rust belt, anywhere they use salt on the roads. They could paint the shafts so they look nice when new, but I don't really care it wears off in short order. My main concern is how the body does over time. My Bronco has been in 2 winters so far and lots of salt. The drive shafts are rusty like yours, but overall it looks good. A few spots of rust showing at frame welds and stuff, but you see that on ANY truck in the rust belt.

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They are Dana parts, used on Jeeps and many other trucks :ROFLMAO:
When I first saw them it looked like parts that had been sitting in a pallet box outside and got wet for a long period of time (like here at work) and then I saw the corrosion under the bolt heads and I realized there was salt crystals all underneath the truck and immediately took it to the car wash and ran it through a chassis wash a couple times. It is what it is. I just wish Ford would do better. Maybe I’ll buy my next one so it gets shipped in the summer lol.?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't even have 1k on my 23 yet and noticed rust as well. I plan to treat with POR 15 soon. The stuff works great and easy to use!

https://por15.com/
Sponsored