Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious if anyone else has had similar issues with their @Ford Motor Company #Bronco

Quick facts:
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
4 door
2.7 EB
Stock
10,502 miles (maybe 100-150 of those miles are off-road)

So the quick issue is that my Bronco is in the shop for the 3rd time to replace the passenger side front axle shaft. It's currently been at the dealership for 3 weeks due to parts back-order with no ETA available.

Now the long story.

The first time I took it in for the axle issue was due to me discovering that the boot on the wheelhub end of the axle shaft had come loose, like the band-clamp was never fully installed correctly. This resulted in grease being slung all over the wheelhub and suspension.

I took it in Stivers of Birmingham where they ordered a replacement and did the install. All was well for a while.

The second time in the dealership was because I noticed some oil on the floor of the driveway.
Ford Bronco Front Axle Issues - 3rd time at the dealership, only 10k miles IRj30AwfbSZzW78vf7KZzSvs4=w1236-h927-no?authuser=0

So I crawled under to see where it was coming from and I noticed it was coming from the area where the axle-shaft interfaces with the axle/differential housing. I reached up to check it and noticed there was a fair bit of play in that interface that was not present on the drivers side.
Ford Bronco Front Axle Issues - 3rd time at the dealership, only 10k miles Tt9_5GbVZ6BUwBgsfIhqGlUYA=w1236-h927-no?authuser=0

So I took it back to Stiver's and turns out it was the wrong part. I was told that the wrong part was placed in the right box...and it apparently fit well enough to pass.

Now we're onto the latest trip to Stivers. This time I brought it in because I was underneath installing some @RCI Offroad skids when I noticed a massive glob of grease on the a-arm and other various bits.
Ford Bronco Front Axle Issues - 3rd time at the dealership, only 10k miles XRJDBuRxm7abB3Aq6F6k74lE8=w1236-h927-no?authuser=0

Ford Bronco Front Axle Issues - 3rd time at the dealership, only 10k miles A3nHBaEncenpA0nDkuPT2qUdQ=w1236-h927-no?authuser=0

My assumption is the boot near on the axle/diff housing has failed, but I couldn't quite tell. So I took it in to Stiver's and that's where it currently sits now. 3 weeks and counting.

Now I should preface that at no time did I ever experience any drive-line issues, no sounds or weird vibrations. Honestly, had I not been under the vehicle or noticed some grease/oil in weird places I may not have noticed anything until a bigger issue arose.

Anyone else had issues like this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broncenstein

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i haven't had any issues, but it sounds like whoever was responsible for that area of your Bronco on the assembly line was having a bad day and overlooked things. id ask Stivers to go through the entire suspension on that corner to make sure everything else is good before leaving again. it'll save you both some time and frustration

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear it. I have the same model, built 10/21. Have similar mileage but 5000 off road with zero issues. Sound like you definitely have a poor quality front end assembly. Hopefully it can be resolved soon. Good luck.

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a good suggestion. I'll mention it to my service advisor next time I talk to him.

jdmstuff

Badlands
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just pulled my driver's side axle to replace it and it was labeled 3A428. Which I see is installed on your passenger side. The parts guy at the dealership said that the part number for the driver's side is 3A427. On my build, the passenger side axle is labeled 3A427. I haven't had any problems with it leaking, but the front diff was dry when I pulled the axle and the area around it seems dry. I either have mislabeled axles from the factory, or someone wasn't paying attention on the assembly line.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just pulled my driver's side axle to replace it and it was labeled 3A428. Which I see is installed on your passenger side. The parts guy at the dealership said that the part number for the driver's side is 3A427. On my build, the passenger side axle is labeled 3A427. I haven't had any problems with it leaking, but the front diff was dry when I pulled the axle and the area around it seems dry. I either have mislabeled axles from the factory, or someone wasn't paying attention on the assembly line.
They did tell me that when they pulled that axle the 2nd time it turned out to be the wrong part. They never said whether it was a drivers side or for a different vehicle, just that it was "wrong part, right box."

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've had a new axle put it and had the axle to diff seal redone twice. Been good ever since I took it to a good dealer that did a proper install the last time.

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: Parts arrived today, hopefully should be completed in the next day or so. Maybe I'll have some more information about what actually failed.

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got my Bronco back today and all has been repaired. Interesting the notes on the service order indicate that the front axle has "come apart" and was slinging grease with no outside cause of concern. The driveshaft was replaced per "recall." So hopefully all is well and I won't have another issue.
Sponsored