Bootenwagen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Intro

Greetings all, I'd like to share with you a guide I made for making the 6G Ford Bronco flat towable.

Starting with an overview, it is a four part YouTube series that provides full details on how to install the Blue Ox adapter plate, diode wiring kit, and Blue Ox braking system. I will also provide a text form step-by-step here in this forum, copy and pasted liberally from my videos.

A bit of background - I've been travelling full-time in an RV with the Bronco in tow from the east to the west coast for the last 5 months now, or about 3000 miles. There were some kinks that had to be ironed out, and there were plenty of things I wish I knew beforehand which would probably have made this a lot easier.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692056488763

List of Parts*:

Blue Ox BX7380 Alpha II Tow Bar
https://amzn.to/46AXeb3

Blue Ox BX2687 Baseplate for Ford Bronco (Standard Bumper)
https://amzn.to/3D4kHnk

Blue Ox BX8848 4 Diodes Taillight Wiring Kit:
https://amzn.to/3O3SlQE

Blue Ox BRK2019 Patriot 3 Brake System:
https://amzn.to/3O0rlkW

Blue Ox BX88206 Coiled Cable with Female Receptor:
https://amzn.to/43kPxCN

*Not an exhaustive list as I also bought a bunch of spade connectors, fuses, wires, nuts, bolts, and fuse holders from local car parts stores. For full transparency, these are Amazon affiliate links that I receive commission for.

Adapter Plate:

1) Remove the skid plate, 6 bolts, 15mm
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692050183099

2) Remove tow loops - start with the shrouds, then 2x 15mm bolts. Don't let these fall on you.

3) Ream these two holes out to 1/2"
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692050456344

4) Install baseplate using the tow loops' 15 mm bolts & holes. Use red Loctite. Blue Ox rep said "we have no 15mm spec, do between 120-180 ft/lbs". I shot for 120 lbs.

5) Install the mounting brackets using the hardware they provided. This will take the 1/2” diameter and 1 1/2” long bolt. The lockwasher goes right on the bolt, the other side comes out on the inside of the baseplate, and gets secured with a washer and nylon locknut. The instructions say to keep it loose for now.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692050827851

And here's the part that got extremely tricky and frustrating for me. At this time, the instructions say to use the whiz nuts to properly place the nuts above the holes that were reamed out. What happened in actuality though is that the mounting bracket holes didn't line up with the existing holes that I reamed out on the Bronco. The tolerance mismatch was actually pretty bad, off by what seemed like a 1/4”. I also asked Blue Ox about this issue, and they didn't really have much to say, their first assumption was that I ordered the wrong part. I will say that the instructions say this:

“The dimensional variations between otherwise identical vehicles can be considerable. While the baseplate was designed for easy installation, it may be necessary to tailor the baseplate slightly to compensate for vehicle manufacturer’s tolerances.”

In my case that may have been a bit of an understatement, because I wound up having to ream both the mounting bracket AND the Bronco just to make it align. It was not easy, and I didn't really feel good about all this mangling, and I'm sure it voided the warranty. My opinion is that if they are aware of the broad tolerances, then they should have made the holes on the mounting bracket oblong to be more accommodating of this fact.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692050875214

I wound up cutting the rods off of the whiz nuts because they were a bigger hindrance to me than a help. I aligned the nuts using the rods and my hands and just eyeballing exactly where the nut was in relation to the mounting hole. These were 1/2” grade 8 bolts, so I torqued them to 119 foot lbs in accordance with the table.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692050996471

6) Wrap then secure the provided safety cables around the front cross member in such a way as to avoid any rubbing of lines, hoses, and moving parts. Easier said than done.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692051038933

7) Trim your skid plate to accommodate the adapter plates. Then curl up in a ball and cry because Blue Ox is making you mangle an $800 part

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692051130011

This is what it'll look like now, ignore the breakaway switch:

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692051195041

Taillight Diode Wiring Kit, 6 pin connector, and battery trickle charger

For this, I've drawn up a schematic. There are things of note here that I had to learn the hard way. The first time I towed the Bronco, it nearly killed the battery - both because there is no provided way to charge the battery, but also probably because I forgot to turn the accessory button off. Regardless, I think battery discharge is a real risk. Some on these forums have even mentioned that it may be possible for the transfer case to jump out of neutral and grenade itself if the battery power gets too low. Either way, it's important to give the Bronco an umbilical cord for charging. I accomplished this by tapping the 'A' pin on the 6 pin connector, and wiring it directly to the battery through a 10 amp fuse.

Also of note -- the diodes in the back don't really seem to fit into the tail light housing. I extended the wire lengths so I could tuck them into a crevice behind the tail light.

1) Disconnect the battery

2) Starting with the driver's side. To remove the tail lights, unscrew the 4 plastic push pins. Pop them off with a trim pry bar

3) Pry off the trim pieces beneath the tail light. Be gentle and patient here - it's held on with fairly strong clips. I found it best to undo a few clips of the wheel well, then I pried the trim piece at the wheel well until loose, and finally I pried on the right hand side of the trim piece

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692055395511

4) Remove the three 10mm bolts, then remove the plastic shroud

5) Remove two 8mm bolts, and one 10mm bolt

6) Tail lights should now be loose, dangling by the wiring loom

7) Assuming all Broncos are the same, cut the blue and gray wires between the black and grey connectors. Add about 12" of wire to each, so that the diodes can be tucked far away.

8) Collect about 6 feet of green and brown wire from the diode wiring kit, and route that between the passenger and driver's side tail lights. I routed mine along side the rear cross member and tow hitch, liberally using zip ties (see schematic)

9) Route the 4 wire cable through the driver's side tail light opening, and wire per the schematic. I used the 10mm bolt on the side as a grounding bolt. I don't like drilling extra holes into my Bronco.
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692055457414

10) I routed the other end of the 4 wire cable along side the brake lines, reusing the brake line clips where possible, and using zip ties everywhere else. It then goes up around the front wheel well into the engine bay, and along the front cross member near radiator fans. It's final destination is the passenger side tow adapter plate.

11) Wire the 4 conductor cable to the 6 pin connector per schematic. Simultaneously, using 16awg black and red wire, wire the red to pin A, and the black to the GD ground pin. Slightly janky, but yes, I have now both the white and black wire going into one pin for ground. The red and the black are what is going to be trickle charging the Bronco's battery.
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692055514092

14) To mount the 6 pin connector, I used long bolts and Home Depot lighting nipples to create a makeshift standoff. I mounted it to the adapter plate with some drilled holes. This might affect the structural integrity, so it may not be the best option, but it's the one I chose to keep Bronco appearance changes minimal.
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692056048637

13) Route the black and the red to the battery, use the same path as the 4 conductor cable. Wire a 10A fuse and holder to the red wire, a ring terminal to both the red and black, and connect them to the battery. The battery has very handy extra studs just for this sort of thing. Reconnect the battery.

14) At this point, everything should work, so it's a good time to back your RV/tow car to the Bronco and test all the lights via 7 to 6 pin cable. If everything checks out, button the lights back up.

Diode wiring, battery trickle charger, and 6 pin connector:
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc Bronco6G_diode_wiring_and_6pin_rev1

Patriot 3 Braking System Wiring + Neutral Tow mode:

The Patriot 3 comes with a cigarette style plug. Won't work with the Bronco - because the Bronco shuts off accessory power after 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure everything is off altogether as soon as you press the start button. You can either wire an always-on cigarette style outlet and put it somewhere in the footwell, but that is peak janky. I opted to wire a flat pin style connector to the Patriot, and I have the same in the footwell going directly to the battery via grommet and via 10A fuse.

1) I attached the "grenade pin" disconnect switch to the driver's side adapter plate via 1/2" 3/4" length machine bolt, locknut, and blue Loctite. The remainder I secured with a ziptie.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692055556968

2) I routed the breakaway switch cable and power cable through a rubber grommet in the driver's side footwell

3) The power cable I connected to the power studs on the battery using a ring terminal. The smooth wire I spliced a fuse holder, and placed a 10A fuse into

4) With everything wired, the Bronco should be ready to go. At this point you can hook everything up between tow vehicle and the Bronco
-Put the tow bar in (tow bar rating should be 6000 lbs+. I think my 2 door Outer Banks is around 4200-4400 lbs. 4 doors with sasquatch packages are probably north of 5000 lbs.)
-Extend the tow bar on the ground, drive the Bronco over
-Put the pins in on both sides, retain with spring loaded pin
-Attach safety cables
-Attach 7 to 6 pin cable
-Attached breakaway switch cable -- needs to be connected to something sturdy on the tow vehicle

5) Put Bronco into Neutral tow mode -- these instructions can be accessed in the center screen
-Without foot on brake pedal, press start button
-Press firmly on brake pedal, shift into neutral
-Press 3 striped button on steering wheel, navigate to settings, then neutral tow mode
-Press and hold 'OK' to initialize neutral tow mode
-Release brake pedal gently, car might roll away. Make sure emergency brake is off. Press the start button to turn everything off -- this is important. If you don't do this, it'll rack up miles on the odometer when towed.

6) Setup the Patriot 3. Make sure the levelling feet clear it of the seat adjustment lever, otherwise it can and will push the seat out of the way when actuating the brake pedal.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692055634034

7) I keep the RF controller on my RVs dash, and my settings are at Force: 2 and Sensitivity: 3. This is very low on both ends, because I've had the Patriot fully clamp on the brakes even when I wasn't braking -- I was just going over some rough terrain and that was enough to fool the accelerometer (or whatever) into thinking that I was. Lowering these settings is what Blue Ox recommended to me. Not really ideal - I would prefer it if the Patriot was actuated through the 'S' brake signal, or maybe using an AND gate of 'S' signal and accelerometer, that would probably solve this issue. But since setting it to that, I haven't had any problems, though I do have to manually actuate the brakes using the RF controller more frequently. Best to just drive more defensively.

Patriot 3 braking system wiring:
Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc Bronco6G_brake_system_wiring_rev1

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692055685815

Conclusion:

Parts wise this is about $2500-3500. Seems to have jumped by $1K since my build, YMMV, and your inflation may vary :rolleyes:.

This took me 3-4 days in labor, roughly 30 hours if I had to guess, and more to fine tune. Big learning curve, and my goal was to make it as clean as possible. The RV dealer estimated the total cost to be $5000, which is probably fair given how involved this is. I chose to do it myself both to save money, but also because I am very particular about changing the appearance of the Bronco as little as possible. I wouldn't want to inadvertently wind up with drilled out holes in my bumper for various connectors or whatever.

Here's a link to the diode schematic, and here is a link to the Patriot schematic. Feedback welcome! If anyone finds something that needs correction, let me know and I'll revise!

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692056202833
Sponsored

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice write up. I too used the Blue Ox base plates but used a RVI 2 Brake and Curt towed wiring. A few notes from mine:

1. Whiz nut deal is a pain. All my holes lined up perfectly and 3 of the whiz nuts worked fine, the fourth, actually the first I tried, took about an hour to get to take.

2. Don't tell anyone but I decided to forego the cables. Each side is held on by four 1/2", more or less, bolts that ultimately depend on one 1/2" bolt on the tow bar.

3. I used the Curt towed wiring kit which was very easy to install. Note: If you are doing both the Curt trailer wiring and Curt towed wiring do the towed first (ask me how I know). It has a tap to hook up trailer wiring. I'm not including Curt part numbers because there is some variation Bronco to Bronco.

4. I think shutting off ACC is very important as a last step in selecting neutral tow. First because of battery discharge. Second, because disengaging neutral tow involves turning Acc on an stepping on brake. The Bronco may confuse a Acc on and auxiliary brake activation as a signal to disengage tow mode. I leave my climate control and audio on so all those orange lights remind me I'm still in Acc.

...and forgive me, but you should probably have a riser on that hitch to level out that bar. I'm using a ball type tow bar, partly for that reason. It has a 5000 capacity and I'm just below that. I'm considering an etrailer receiver mount bar that has a rise built in.

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Intro

Greetings all, I'd like to share with you a guide I made for making the 6G Ford Bronco flat towable.

Starting with an overview, it is a four part YouTube series that provides full details on how to install the Blue Ox adapter plate, diode wiring kit, and Blue Ox braking system. I will also provide a text form step-by-step here in this forum, copy and pasted liberally from my videos.

A bit of background - I've been travelling full-time in an RV with the Bronco in tow from the east to the west coast for the last 5 months now, or about 3000 miles. There were some kinks that had to be ironed out, and there were plenty of things I wish I knew beforehand which would probably have made this a lot easier.

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 1692056202833

List of Parts*:

Blue Ox BX7380 Alpha II Tow Bar
https://amzn.to/46AXeb3

Blue Ox BX2687 Baseplate for Ford Bronco (Standard Bumper)
https://amzn.to/3D4kHnk

Blue Ox BX8848 4 Diodes Taillight Wiring Kit:
https://amzn.to/3O3SlQE

Blue Ox BRK2019 Patriot 3 Brake System:
https://amzn.to/3O0rlkW

Blue Ox BX88206 Coiled Cable with Female Receptor:
https://amzn.to/43kPxCN

*Not an exhaustive list as I also bought a bunch of spade connectors, fuses, wires, nuts, bolts, and fuse holders from local car parts stores. For full transparency, these are Amazon affiliate links that I receive commission for.

Adapter Plate:

1) Remove the skid plate, 6 bolts, 15mm

2) Remove tow loops - start with the shrouds, then 2x 15mm bolts. Don't let these fall on you.

3) Ream these two holes out to 1/2"

4) Install baseplate using the tow loops' 15 mm bolts & holes. Use red Loctite. Blue Ox rep said "we have no 15mm spec, do between 120-180 ft/lbs". I shot for 120 lbs.

5) Install the mounting brackets using the hardware they provided. This will take the 1/2” diameter and 1 1/2” long bolt. The lockwasher goes right on the bolt, the other side comes out on the inside of the baseplate, and gets secured with a washer and nylon locknut. The instructions say to keep it loose for now.

And here's the part that got extremely tricky and frustrating for me. At this time, the instructions say to use the whiz nuts to properly place the nuts above the holes that were reamed out. What happened in actuality though is that the mounting bracket holes didn't line up with the existing holes that I reamed out on the Bronco. The tolerance mismatch was actually pretty bad, off by what seemed like a 1/4”. I also asked Blue Ox about this issue, and they didn't really have much to say, their first assumption was that I ordered the wrong part. I will say that the instructions say this:

“The dimensional variations between otherwise identical vehicles can be considerable. While the baseplate was designed for easy installation, it may be necessary to tailor the baseplate slightly to compensate for vehicle manufacturer’s tolerances.”

In my case that may have been a bit of an understatement, because I wound up having to ream both the mounting bracket AND the Bronco just to make it align. It was not easy, and I didn't really feel good about all this mangling, and I'm sure it voided the warranty. My opinion is that if they are aware of the broad tolerances, then they should have made the holes on the mounting bracket oblong to be more accommodating of this fact.

I wound up cutting the rods off of the whiz nuts because they were a bigger hindrance to me than a help. I aligned the nuts using the rods and my hands and just eyeballing exactly where the nut was in relation to the mounting hole. These were 1/2” grade 8 bolts, so I torqued them to 119 foot lbs in accordance with the table.

6) Wrap then secure the provided safety cables around the front cross member in such a way as to avoid any rubbing of lines, hoses, and moving parts. Easier said than done.

7) Trim your skid plate to accommodate the adapter plates. Then curl up in a ball and cry because Blue Ox is making you mangle an $800 part

This is what it'll look like now, ignore the breakaway switch:

Taillight Diode Wiring Kit, 6 pin connector, and battery trickle charger

For this, I've drawn up a schematic. There are things of note here that I had to learn the hard way. The first time I towed the Bronco, it nearly killed the battery - both because there is no provided way to charge the battery, but also probably because I forgot to turn the accessory button off. Regardless, I think battery discharge is a real risk. Some on these forums have even mentioned that it may be possible for the transfer case to jump out of neutral and grenade itself if the battery power gets too low. Either way, it's important to give the Bronco an umbilical cord for charging. I accomplished this by tapping the 'A' pin on the 6 pin connector, and wiring it directly to the battery through a 10 amp fuse.

Also of note -- the diodes in the back don't really seem to fit into the tail light housing. I extended the wire lengths so I could tuck them into a crevice behind the tail light.

1) Disconnect the battery

2) Starting with the driver's side. To remove the tail lights, unscrew the 4 plastic push pins. Pop them off with a trim pry bar

3) Pry off the trim pieces beneath the tail light. Be gentle and patient here - it's held on with fairly strong clips. I found it best to undo a few clips of the wheel well, then I pried the trim piece at the wheel well until loose, and finally I pried on the right hand side of the trim piece

4) Remove the three 10mm bolts, then remove the plastic shroud

5) Remove two 8mm bolts, and one 10mm bolt

6) Tail lights should now be loose, dangling by the wiring loom

7) Assuming all Broncos are the same, cut the blue and gray wires between the black and grey connectors. Add about 12" of wire to each, so that the diodes can be tucked far away.

8) Collect about 6 feet of green and brown wire from the diode wiring kit, and route that between the passenger and driver's side tail lights. I routed mine along side the rear cross member and tow hitch, liberally using zip ties (see schematic)

9) Route the 4 wire cable through the driver's side tail light opening, and wire per the schematic. I used the 10mm bolt on the side as a grounding bolt. I don't like drilling extra holes into my Bronco.

10) I routed the other end of the 4 wire cable along side the brake lines, reusing the brake line clips where possible, and using zip ties everywhere else. It then goes up around the front wheel well into the engine bay, and along the front cross member near radiator fans. It's final destination is the passenger side tow adapter plate.

11) Wire the 4 conductor cable to the 6 pin connector per schematic. Simultaneously, using 16awg black and red wire, wire the red to pin A, and the black to the GD ground pin. Slightly janky, but yes, I have now both the white and black wire going into one pin for ground. The red and the black are what is going to be trickle charging the Bronco's battery.

14) To mount the 6 pin connector, I used long bolts and Home Depot lighting nipples to create a makeshift standoff. I mounted it to the adapter plate with some drilled holes. This might affect the structural integrity, so it may not be the best option, but it's the one I chose to keep Bronco appearance changes minimal.

13) Route the black and the red to the battery, use the same path as the 4 conductor cable. Wire a 10A fuse and holder to the red wire, a ring terminal to both the red and black, and connect them to the battery. The battery has very handy extra studs just for this sort of thing. Reconnect the battery.

14) At this point, everything should work, so it's a good time to back your RV/tow car to the Bronco and test all the lights via 7 to 6 pin cable. If everything checks out, button the lights back up.

Diode wiring, battery trickle charger, and 6 pin connector:

Patriot 3 Braking System Wiring + Neutral Tow mode:

The Patriot 3 comes with a cigarette style plug. Won't work with the Bronco - because the Bronco shuts off accessory power after 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure everything is off altogether as soon as you press the start button. You can either wire an always-on cigarette style outlet and put it somewhere in the footwell, but that is peak janky. I opted to wire a flat pin style connector to the Patriot, and I have the same in the footwell going directly to the battery via grommet and via 10A fuse.

1) I attached the "grenade pin" disconnect switch to the driver's side adapter plate via 1/2" 3/4" length machine bolt, locknut, and blue Loctite. The remainder I secured with a ziptie.

2) I routed the breakaway switch cable and power cable through a rubber grommet in the driver's side footwell

3) The power cable I connected to the power studs on the battery using a ring terminal. The smooth wire I spliced a fuse holder, and placed a 10A fuse into

4) With everything wired, the Bronco should be ready to go. At this point you can hook everything up between tow vehicle and the Bronco
-Put the tow bar in (tow bar rating should be 6000 lbs+. I think my 2 door Outer Banks is around 4200-4400 lbs. 4 doors with sasquatch packages are probably north of 5000 lbs.)
-Extend the tow bar on the ground, drive the Bronco over
-Put the pins in on both sides, retain with spring loaded pin
-Attach safety cables
-Attach 7 to 6 pin cable
-Attached breakaway switch cable -- needs to be connected to something sturdy on the tow vehicle

5) Put Bronco into Neutral tow mode -- these instructions can be accessed in the center screen
-Without foot on brake pedal, press start button
-Press firmly on brake pedal, shift into neutral
-Press 3 striped button on steering wheel, navigate to settings, then neutral tow mode
-Press and hold 'OK' to initialize neutral tow mode
-Release brake pedal gently, car might roll away. Make sure emergency brake is off. Press the start button to turn everything off -- this is important. If you don't do this, it'll rack up miles on the odometer when towed.

6) Setup the Patriot 3. Make sure the levelling feet clear it of the seat adjustment lever, otherwise it can and will push the seat out of the way when actuating the brake pedal.

7) I keep the RF controller on my RVs dash, and my settings are at Force: 2 and Sensitivity: 3. This is very low on both ends, because I've had the Patriot fully clamp on the brakes even when I wasn't braking -- I was just going over some rough terrain and that was enough to fool the accelerometer (or whatever) into thinking that I was. Lowering these settings is what Blue Ox recommended to me. Not really ideal - I would prefer it if the Patriot was actuated through the 'S' brake signal, or maybe using an AND gate of 'S' signal and accelerometer, that would probably solve this issue. But since setting it to that, I haven't had any problems, though I do have to manually actuate the brakes using the RF controller more frequently. Best to just drive more defensively.

Patriot 3 braking system wiring:

Conclusion:

Parts wise this is about $2500-3500. Seems to have jumped by $1K since my build, YMMV, and your inflation may vary :rolleyes:.

This took me 3-4 days in labor, roughly 30 hours if I had to guess, and more to fine tune. Big learning curve, and my goal was to make it as clean as possible. The RV dealer estimated the total cost to be $5000, which is probably fair given how involved this is. I chose to do it myself both to save money, but also because I am very particular about changing the appearance of the Bronco as little as possible. I wouldn't want to inadvertently wind up with drilled out holes in my bumper for various connectors or whatever.

Here's a link to the diode schematic, and here is a link to the Patriot schematic. Feedback welcome! If anyone finds something that needs correction, let me know and I'll revise!

Wow. Nice research, nice work. I understand a bit more why these vehicles are so hard to flat-tow . . . The electronic shifters can too easily put the transfer case out of neutral, even if you set it right at first. And every time you disconnect the car, drive it, and tow it again, you have to go through that complicated sequence to neutral! Very easy to mess up the sequence. Too bad there wasn't an override to manually keep the car in neutral.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bootenwagen

bootenwagen

Outer Banks
First Name
Bootenwagen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice write up. I too used the Blue Ox base plates but used a RVI 2 Brake and Curt towed wiring. A few notes from mine:

1. Whiz nut deal is a pain. All my holes lined up perfectly and 3 of the whiz nuts worked fine, the fourth, actually the first I tried, took about an hour to get to take.

2. Don't tell anyone but I decided to forego the cables. Each side is held on by four 1/2", more or less, bolts that ultimately depend on one 1/2" bolt on the tow bar.

3. I used the Curt towed wiring kit which was very easy to install. Note: If you are doing both the Curt trailer wiring and Curt towed wiring do the towed first (ask me how I know). It has a tap to hook up trailer wiring. I'm not including Curt part numbers because there is some variation Bronco to Bronco.

4. I think shutting off ACC is very important as a last step in selecting neutral tow. First because of battery discharge. Second, because disengaging neutral tow involves turning Acc on an stepping on brake. The Bronco may confuse a Acc on and auxiliary brake activation as a signal to disengage tow mode. I leave my climate control and audio on so all those orange lights remind me I'm still in Acc.

...and forgive me, but you should probably have a riser on that hitch to level out that bar. I'm using a ball type tow bar, partly for that reason. It has a 5000 capacity and I'm just below that. I'm considering an etrailer receiver mount bar that has a rise built in.

1. Yeah lol if I was running a shop, my itemized bill would include a line item for:
-2 HRS LABOR: STRUGGLED WITH WHIZ NUTS ~~~ $160

2. The cables really do seem overkill, there's like 8 points of bolt contact in total, I wonder if those are just there because Blue Ox is worried about our overly litigious society

3. Curt's wiring kit looks to be a lot tidier - they seem to have placed the diodes inside the connectors. Heck, for that matter they provide connectors in the first place. Seconded, this is superior to Blue Ox.

4. Absolutely.

I think the screenshot I took skewed the angle quite a bit since I was turning. Here's how it sits normally, what do you think?

Ford Bronco Full Guide: Modifying Bronco 2DR Outer Banks for Flat Towing - Blue Ox adapter plates, braking system, etc 20230815_110501

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

3. Yeah, the Curt kit is so clean I even wonder if it has diodes in it, it says it does and works so...OK.

That photo looks much better. I think most mfgs say no more than 3" rise or drop. Prevents pole vaulting or under riding. Now, is that right front tire low...I can't help myself :unsure:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BTW what do you put in that bumper mounted receiver? I've been thinking of adding one for a kayak rack when not towing the Bronco.

OP
OP
bootenwagen

bootenwagen

Outer Banks
First Name
Bootenwagen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
3. Yeah, the Curt kit is so clean I even wonder if it has diodes in it, it says it does and works so...OK.

That photo looks much better. I think most mfgs say no more than 3" rise or drop. Prevents pole vaulting or under riding. Now, is that right front tire low...I can't help myself :unsure:
Ah, that's good. Hah, I've generally kept it between 32-34 psi, happy middle ground if I can't help but go driving on that curious looking OHV road over there...

OP
OP
bootenwagen

bootenwagen

Outer Banks
First Name
Bootenwagen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BTW what do you put in that bumper mounted receiver? I've been thinking of adding one for a kayak rack when not towing the Bronco.
Oh, are you talking about the one I have on the RV? I use that for my bike rack when I'm not using it on the Bronco, since I can't really use the tailgate with it on. I've tried keeping the bike rack there while towing the Bronco, but it turns out if I take a sharp turn, there's not enough clearance and the Bronco winds up touching the bikes. I'm sure it'll do well for kayaks, sounds like you have a similar idea in mind.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh, are you talking about the one I have on the RV? I use that for my bike rack when I'm not using it on the Bronco, since I can't really use the tailgate with it on. I've tried keeping the bike rack there while towing the Bronco, but it turns out if I take a sharp turn, there's not enough clearance and the Bronco winds up touching the bikes. I'm sure it'll do well for kayaks, sounds like you have a similar idea in mind.
Yeah, when towing I put the kayak on the Bronco. When not I've got no way to bring the 'yak. With my old 8 footers I had a bumper rack, with my 12'9" tandem I haven't figured it out yet.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger 76 K20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome writeup. We just traded a Jeep Cherokee we used as a tow vehicle for a 2023 Outer Banks so I will be installing all the parts soon (God help Me).

I have a RoadMaster towbar on the Diesel Winnebago so I will be installing a roadmaster baseplate. That being said every place I have seen with install instructions complain about the same issue with bolt hole tolerance, so I don't think it is specifically a Blue Ox problem.

We towed the Cherokee about 10,000 miles and had very similar issues with battery going dead, Patriot brake system not working because of dead battery, and other issues. The Jeep was fairly easy to get into tow mode but there was at least one instance where the parking brake was on. I always have my wife watch that all 4 wheels are turning when we first set out. (Then I let her back in the rig LOL)

Installing the battery trickle charge solved the battery dead issue, but I suspect the Cherokee also shut off the cigarette lighter power source after 45 min or so as well. (sure wish Jeep had told me that)

Installing the baseplate on the Cherokee involved pretty much taking the entire front end off (I jest) but it was way more complicated than it seems with the Bronco. The thing I hated the most was the taillight wiring and I can imagine it will be the same in this instance. The Jeep had a little room for the diodes but it was tight. I like the idea of splicing some length on to the wires.

I got tired of having issues with the Patriot brake system so I opted for a permanent install in the Bronco. I will (I hope) install an Air Force one braking system that uses the air brake pressure from the Winnebago to actuate a cylinder that pulls down on the brake pedal. Little bit more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.

I'm staring out the window right now waiting for the UPS driver to deliver the parts. Let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
bootenwagen

bootenwagen

Outer Banks
First Name
Bootenwagen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome writeup. We just traded a Jeep Cherokee we used as a tow vehicle for a 2023 Outer Banks so I will be installing all the parts soon (God help Me).

I have a RoadMaster towbar on the Diesel Winnebago so I will be installing a roadmaster baseplate. That being said every place I have seen with install instructions complain about the same issue with bolt hole tolerance, so I don't think it is specifically a Blue Ox problem.

We towed the Cherokee about 10,000 miles and had very similar issues with battery going dead, Patriot brake system not working because of dead battery, and other issues. The Jeep was fairly easy to get into tow mode but there was at least one instance where the parking brake was on. I always have my wife watch that all 4 wheels are turning when we first set out. (Then I let her back in the rig LOL)

Installing the battery trickle charge solved the battery dead issue, but I suspect the Cherokee also shut off the cigarette lighter power source after 45 min or so as well. (sure wish Jeep had told me that)

Installing the baseplate on the Cherokee involved pretty much taking the entire front end off (I jest) but it was way more complicated than it seems with the Bronco. The thing I hated the most was the taillight wiring and I can imagine it will be the same in this instance. The Jeep had a little room for the diodes but it was tight. I like the idea of splicing some length on to the wires.

I got tired of having issues with the Patriot brake system so I opted for a permanent install in the Bronco. I will (I hope) install an Air Force one braking system that uses the air brake pressure from the Winnebago to actuate a cylinder that pulls down on the brake pedal. Little bit more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.

I'm staring out the window right now waiting for the UPS driver to deliver the parts. Let you know how it goes.
Thank you! If bolt hole tolerancing is an issue across the board, then I guess I'm not as upset at BlueOx about it anymore. Could be variance from Ford factory, who knows.

Yes -- I don't know why, but trickle charging is like... not really mentioned NEARLY enough neither by car manufacturers, or the after market. For the Bronco, it may actually be fatal for the transfer case to omit trickle charging - just see G6Bronco's experience on these forums.

I think that Air Force One is what I'd rather go with in the future, seems like there would be zero "false braking" events. Also, dgorsett in this thread mentioned the Curt wiring kit -- it looks superior because they have integrated the diodes INTO the connector. And for that matter, they have included connectors compatible with the Bronco's taillights, so no splicing required - see here.
Sponsored