Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah I saw the Lobo brace this morning and thought that might be just the ticket since I’m probably cutting the crash bars like everyone else. I wish I had seen the RC tow hooks, could’ve saved me the price of the Mod bumper.🤦‍♂️
Long before I got my Bronco I considered the RC brackets for when it arrived. They weren't available for the Bronco yet but I figured Ranger ones might work. Looking at the RC brackets, they seemed a bit light duty, mild steel u channel with some bends and fillets. So I decided to go Blue Ox. I wish now I had done the RCs and beefed them up with an angle bracket to the crash bar like Blue Ox uses. Live and learn. Now I'm still trying to figure out a good extraction hook solution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great news! Looks like there may be a solution to keep the factory recovery points (for MOD bumper) and stregthen them enough to safely flat tow - from a local member and small biz owner!

See HERE and HERE!

Last edited:

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands/17 Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I knew the aftermarket would catch up and fix the issues Ford bean counters gave us.

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just thought I’d share some details of my flat tow set up. Latest version of BlueOx baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, and wired the brake lights directly using diodes. I also ran a dedicated charge line to keep the bronco battery topped off while under tow.

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg

IMG_2323.jpeg
What do you do for recovery points? I'm trying to figure out what to do with our Bronco. One issue I'm facing is that the recovery points (or the baseplate points if you replace them with the baseplate like you did) are 24" off the ground and my RV hitch is 18.5 inches to the center. Because we also want to carry bikes on the top place of a dual receiver hitch adaptor, I'm not sure how to handle the height difference.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you do for recovery points? I'm trying to figure out what to do with our Bronco. One issue I'm facing is that the recovery points (or the baseplate points if you replace them with the baseplate like you did) are 24" off the ground and my RV hitch is 18.5 inches to the center. Because we also want to carry bikes on the top place of a dual receiver hitch adaptor, I'm not sure how to handle the height difference.
I went with a rock hard 4x4 bumper for the recovery tabs, the hitch height is still 24" on an SAS Bronco, I use a roadmaster 8 or 10 riser , wanted to do bikes on back of the RV but they are on the back of the Bronco until I can come up with a solution.
Riser is sloppy still working on that issue too.

Sponsored

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with a rock hard 4x4 bumper for the recovery tabs, the hitch height is still 24" on an SAS Bronco, I use a roadmaster 8 or 10 riser , wanted to do bikes on back of the RV but they are on the back of the Bronco until I can come up with a solution.
Riser is sloppy still working on that issue too.
I may have found a solution to my height difference and the bike carrying problem. The Mega-Duty Drop hitch (10k towing capacity) from GenY hitch ( Mega-Duty Drop Hitch 10K Dual Receiver - GEN-Y HITCH (genyhitch.com) ). I'm double checking with the company, but from the information on the website, it appears that a 10" drop version can be reversed to be a 10" rise and you can also use two "slots" at the same time as long as you don't exceed the weight limits of the hitch. Thus, we can use the 5" slot for the bronco tow bar and the 10" slot for our bike rack. The bronco is 6k lbs (give or take) and our bike rack fully loaded is say 300 lbs so I think this is the solution I've been looking for.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I may have found a solution to my height difference and the bike carrying problem. The Mega-Duty Drop hitch (10k towing capacity) from GenY hitch ( Mega-Duty Drop Hitch 10K Dual Receiver - GEN-Y HITCH (genyhitch.com) ). I'm double checking with the company, but from the information on the website, it appears that a 10" drop version can be reversed to be a 10" rise and you can also use two "slots" at the same time as long as you don't exceed the weight limits of the hitch. Thus, we can use the 5" slot for the bronco tow bar and the 10" slot for our bike rack. The bronco is 6k lbs (give or take) and our bike rack fully loaded is say 300 lbs so I think this is the solution I've been looking for.
I had one of those and sent it back , the shank was not long enough to clear the back of my RV.
GEN-Y sent me a drawing to modify for a custom made one, I have it drawn up but not sent it back yet, its modifies more than what was optioned on the drawing , I also mentioned they should visit the RV manufacture since it not far from them and to make one that is compatible.

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had one of those and sent it back , the shank was not long enough to clear the back of my RV.
Ah, good reminder for me to check that dimension. Good luck on your search.

Sponsored
OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have some shackles that mount through the holes on the breakaway cable mounts. Those tabs are 3/16” steel and strong enough to use for emergency situations.
Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights IMG_2418

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have some shackles that mount through the holes on the breakaway cable mounts. Those tabs are 3/16” steel and strong enough to use for emergency situations.
Those are a great idea. I sent blue ox a message asking if they had an attachment that can go where the tow connections go that can be used as a recovery point. Certainly, if the Ford recovery points are not rated for towing but the baseplate with the tow attachments are, a properly configured attachment should be strong enough to be a recovery point.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those are a great idea. I sent blue ox a message asking if they had an attachment that can go where the tow connections go that can be used as a recovery point. Certainly, if the Ford recovery points are not rated for towing but the baseplate with the tow attachments are, a properly configured attachment should be strong enough to be a recovery point.
That would be cool if they did!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

On my Blue Ox plates the safety chain point is 1/4" flat bar, maybe not heavy enough for off road recovery. The Blue Ox adapters an plate mounting are he'll for stout. A 7/16 soft shackle will fit, weakest point would be the pin which is 1/2".
Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights 20230510_135226
p

bpesto

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi, RAV4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty clean install on the base plate.
I've got the modular bumper and want to mount the Blue Ox baseplate. It looks like it's just a bolt on setup (after removing any parts to gain access for the install). Was there any trimming of anything with the mod bumper. And can you confirm the Blue Ox part number for the base plate?
Sponsored